Traffic-labor day wkend in Long Beach/LA

Jun 11th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Traffic-labor day wkend in Long Beach/LA

I am planning to visit friends who live in Long Beach, a few miles from the airport.
I am wondering what traffic is usually like in the area on the 3 day labor day weekend.
More/less busy than usual? How about travel down to Malibu or South towards San Diego?
I do not want to spend my vacation in traffic and I realize that this is a chronic problem in the area.
Thanks!
Jun 11th, 2003, 07:41 AM

I dont think traffic in SoCal is any worse than any other metro area.The trick is really to know where you are going...for sure.BTW, Malibu is UP from LB.IMHO, if you map out shwre you want to go you shouldnt have any problems.And be patient...Its a great part of the world to live in as far as I can see....HTH
S
Jun 11th, 2003, 07:50 AM

The worst traffic days will, naturally, be Friday heading "out of town" and Monday heading "back". If you're flying into LAX, expect southbound traffic to Long Beach (I-405) to be a parking lot basically all the way. The best alternate is I-105 to the I-710-- and that will be slow too. If you're flying into LGB, it's a non-issue. Traffic within the city of Long Beach is NEVER a problem (I live in Belmont Heights, and I'm dating someone who lives in East Long Beach, about 1.5 miles from LGB). You should have a beautiful weekend weather-wise, and there's so much to do in the area in the summer!

Traffic up to Malibu (I-405 to I-10 to PCH) will be slow but moving during the weekend. Note that getting out of Santa Monica on PCH is an exercise in patience.

Traffic down to San Diego (I-405 to I-5) over this weekend has never been bad (I used to go down to SD every Labor Day, and may do so again this year). If heading back to LA County on Monday, leave well before noon.
Jun 11th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I've family in Long Beach, however I don't think I've been there during the Labor Day weekend. Traffic? It is Southern California and you'll encounter traffic whenever you have to get on the freeway. Frankly, it's a crapshoot --- whenever I've gone out there, there's times when we're able to breeze up to LA or down to Laguna Beach or Seal Beach (charming little towns). And then occassions when you'll be plodding along bumper-to-bumper for a couple miles.
Jun 11th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. The main purpose of my trip is to spend time with my close friends, who have just moved to Long beach. I may want to stay at a hotel that is within 10-15min drive of their home but near a beach so I can take a early morning walk etc. Seal beach, maybe. I also plan to spend a couple of days before the labor day weekend starts seeing some LA sites, Catalina. Thoughts? Thanks!
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:04 AM

The Pacific Inn in Seal Beach (was a Radisson) might fit your needs. Just off PCH, a few short blocks to the beach, 10 minutes away from your friends' house in LB. Seal Beach itself is a sweet little beach community, well worth a day's visit.

Lots of threads in this forum on sites in the greater LA area. In Long Beach:

-- Queen Mary
-- Aquarium of the Pacific
-- Pine Avenue (center of downtown LB nightlife)
-- Shoreline Village
-- Belmont Shore (Second Street)
-- Museum of Latin American Art (considered one of the state's best)

Search on "Beverly Hills", "Hollywood", "Getty Center", "Universal Studios" for other ideas.
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:26 AM
ltt

if you can, try to plan your driving in & out at "off" hours. on the may long weekend, i hit northern l.a. heading south to san deigo at about 1:00 p.m. it took us 5 1/2 hours to get out of the city. got into 3rd gear 3 times in 2 hours. it was hell.
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:40 AM

ltt's example is extreme, but I'm not completely surprised. One Friday night I left my office at 5 PM heading to the desert. It took me until roughly 7 PM to clear the downtown LA area (maybe 35 miles!), until 8 PM to get out of LA county. I rolled into Palm Springs at 9:30.

I'm guessing that the 5 1/2 hours included an hour or so in Orange County. I'm also guessing they were heading south on I-5 (and didn't take the I-405, which bypasses downtown LA and Anaheim/Orange). I guess because I live well south of the worst of metro LA traffic, I'm kinda spoiled when I drive to San Diego. From my doorstep to Balboa Park, it's rarely over 90 minutes.
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rj for the info! (And everyone else). Can I walk to the beach from the Pacific Inn? I am a single middle aged woman--anything to worry about?
My friends dont really know the area yet-they just moved there (they are just nw of where 22 meets 605).
PS would I enjoy a solo trip to Catalina weekday?
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:03 AM

From the Pacific Inn to the beach is a short walk-- two or three blocks, as I recall. You're also a quick walk to Seal Beach's Main Street, which has little quirky shops and some great restaurants.

Your friends don't live too far from me-- I'm in Belmont Heights.

My ex-adminstrative assistant (now my firm's Graphic Designer) goes to Catalina for solo jaunts quite often, and she loves it. It's quiet and beautiful (she's also a sculptress and photographer, so she brings back stunning photos). Well worth a day trip!