Reload this Page >

Tourist videotaping/Unique tourist/Vehicle being towed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 06:21 PM
TAJ

Ok, before anyone thinks other wise, this is a very legitament (sp) question about something that happened to me tonight (6/21/00) at the local walmart.

This is travel related in that I want to know if peope from other countries for some reason find the events of tonight facinating (sp) or what.

Ok for the facts. My car broke down at Walmart and I called a tow truck (yes, happens to people everyday). After the car was hooked up to the tow truck, we realized that someone was videotaping the event. When he realized that we had noticed him, he tried to hid the camera behind a magazine and proceeded to walk to another area of the parking lot and started videotaping again. As we are leaving in another car, I pulled up a long side him and asked him to please stop taping. He replied, with an Asian accent, that he did not comprehend and was laughing. I am assuming that this man was a tourist, hence the following question (but for all I know, he could have been my neighbor down the block)

I have always assumed that all other countries with vehicles had tow trucks. If so, what was so interesting about tonight's (non) event? If Asians, or other nationalites find vehicles in the States being towed of interest, I will forgive the videotaping (but never forget, to weird an expeirence). We have already laughed about this and will most likely continue to laugh about it for sometime to come.

Has anyone else had people from other countries vidoetape every day events like cars being towed after breaking down. Do United Stated citizens videotape this kind of stuff when in other countries (or even while still in the states)? I would think that would be about as interesting as watching people walk in and out of Walmart (which is so far from being interesting, I would rather count sheep).

TAJ

ps: I have posted my e-mail address in an attempt to have others realized that this is a legitament post. I have lurked here for several months now, but have only posted a few times.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 05:21 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I've seen tourists (don't know if they were American or not) video taping gas lights and doorknobs in London.

Wouldn't want to have to watch their trip tapes.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 07:50 AM
a

I think that it is always interesting to see how the other half lives. We are the other half. We, in turn, are interesting. I always think that it is interesting to see how the rest of the world goes without the Wally World conveninces, since I grew up in a world dominated by those nasty chains. Walmart is the spawn of the devil

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 07:54 AM
Mark

Hi ....

I once in Italy once on coach tour ... this english guy sat at the front of the coach & videoed the whole journey (about 2 hours) ... he couldn't have seen much cause of the reflection through the window .... mad !!!

Mark

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:16 AM
Noach

TAJ, not even I would have posted something as stupid as this. What does this have to do with travel? Why would you care if someone was taping you? Did you know Walmart was also taping you at the same time? Did you know Walmart and WDW have made a pact with the devil? Visit www.noach.com

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:28 AM
tom

kind of the opposite situation - a few years ago, I read about a man at the Texas Alamo, who hangs out & makes a hobby of appearing surreptitiously in tourist's video tapings!

he blends in, & tourists who are taping usually don't notice him, but when the tapes are viewed later, the "stealth actor" is seen smiling, waving, doing stuff in the background, etc

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:52 AM
TAJ

Hi,

Thanks for the feed back. Last night's incident has made me think, have I videotaped incidents that the locals would (or did )think me crazy for doing so? Most likely yes. I will think twice for a while when videotaping, but still will most likely end up with things on tape that would totally bore others (and later bore myself with).

Guess this just brings to mind the difference in all of our cultural. What is normal everyday occurrences to some is something totally out of the ordinary for others.

Enjoy your travels.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:57 AM
Caitlin

A couple of years ago, my boyfriend and his mom were staying near Orlando not long after a hurricane had caused some major destruction in Kissimee. There were tourists driving around videotaping the destruction and people going through their ruined houses looking for salvageable belongings. If that's not invasive (as well as boring to watch), I don't know what is.