Reload this Page >

Top Pick - Bay Area Jazz Club

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:32 AM
Sax

Other than San Francisco, who offers the best Jazz/Dinner Club?

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:01 PM
Jazz

Portland and Seattle actually both have a number of good jazz choices. Nothing too fancy, but great music. Portland is actually home to a number of top jazz musicians.

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:24 PM
David

In San Jose there are a number of good jazz clubs. The San Jose Society website lists several of them (www.sanjosejazz.org) then click on "finding jazz in Silicon Valley"

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:39 PM
x

Hey David your post says there are a "number" of good jazz clubs and then you refer to a web site where one is sent to other web sites that say call the place for information about acts. Those places are mostly hotels in san jose plus Yoshis, which has already been mentioned, and another place in Emryville, not exactly san jose. This was very lame of you. In your constant drumbeat for San Jose you have failed to provide even the smallest of information. Saying there are a "Number" of jazz clubs in San Jose and then providing nothing but hotel entertainment is truly useless.

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:56 PM
David

X,

I don't think that Agenda, Gordon Biersch, and Garden City are hotels and these were also mentioned as jazz spots in SJ.

Sax
I would ignore X's biased comments. Also check out www.smoothjazz.com/clubs which also gives a comprehensive list of jazz clubs in cities throughout the country. Other clubs in Center City San Jose include Agenda, Fuel 44, Club Jazz, and JJ Blues as well. The San Jose Jazz festival which is in early August always lots of jazz fans from the area.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:09 PM
x

David, did you even look at Agenda's events listing. It's all DJ stuff. Gordon Biersh doesn't even list any of the music though they claim to have live music on the weekends. If it's any good why not put it on the web site?

There are 8 lisitngs on this site. 2 are not in San Jose, 3 are hotels, two are useless and one doesn't even have a link at all.

When someone disagrees with you or calls you on your weak San Jose recommendations telling others to "not listen" is so school yard it makes your whole post ridiculous!

Give it a rest David we all know you work for the Chamber.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:09 PM
SJ

A "Jazz Festival" in San Jose???
Who is in charge of all of the kazoos?

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:15 PM
x

Thanks for the great laugh SJ!!!!!

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:57 PM
David

Sax,

Sorry you have to put with reading the useless information being posted by X and SJ no way.

The following link on the San Jose Jazz website talks about the anuual jazz festival. Its a must for those of us who really like this type of music.

http://www.sanjosejazz.org/festival.html

SJ no way, San Jose's jazz festival draws over 140,000 people each year and is the largest free festival of its king in the country.

X, I think that Sax is perfectly capable of figuring out which jazz clubs to visit. Your one sided opinions are not needed.

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:49 PM
SJ

WOW! 140,000 to a FREE festival? Guess they are cheap Kazoo afficianados?
I'm sorry. I can't help myself sometimes. It's like a New Yorker telling Jersey jokes.

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:42 PM
jimbo

So sorry all for David, my poor misguided office mate. He simply cannot curb his appetite to "plug" San Jose, even when he knows he's not making any sense. You see, his salary is in direct correlation to the amount of visitors that come to our poor and boring city. We are nothing more then a large suburb of strip malls, hotels, and 7-11's. We are LA Jr.

Bravo X (see above) for spotting David's bias. He does "try" hard and at times he sucks in the uniformed to spend their hard earned money in San Jose. Sigh.. oh well, back to work... I'm currently preparing a listing for our boss titled "20 fun things to do in San Jose". Question: Does watching planes take off from the airport count as something fun to do? Tata.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:00 AM
David

Jimbo, X, SJ no way,

It is obvious that you are working for the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce. Being that Sax was asking for Jazz clubs NOT in San Francisco, you are so offended by it that, so all you can do is post false and biased opinions about something you know absolutely know nothing about. You have probably never even gone to a jazz club or jazz festival in San Jose so your opinions are just that, YOUR OPINIONS which are not based on facts.

SJ no way, for your information, most jazz festival happen to be free events, including the one in New York City. Any city that has to charge admission basically is not a good supporter of the arts.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:10 AM
x

David you're an idiot. Close by, in Sacramanto, there is a Jazz Jubilee every Memorial Day Weekend and has been so for many years. Bands and tourists come from all over the WORLD to perform and watch. They charge entrance to most venues. Monterey has a VERY famous Jazz festival which charges to see the entertainers. Wake up and smell the coffee David, you know nothing except what the SJ chamber tells you.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:24 AM
kal

Alohaaaa,
As an attendee at last year's Sacramento Jazz Fest. there is a charge to actually get into the various venues located all over the Sac area but if all you want to do is listen to the music, you certainly can still hear it thru the canvas in Old Sac.
Great food, too!
This was the first one we attended in 20+ years since we got tired of plain ol' dixieland type music but now they have all sorts of music so as we were cheking out of the Sheraton Grand last year, we booked the "Returnee Special" for 2 nights this year.

A side benefit of the Sac Jazz Fest is that a lot of the foreign and out of area groups usually show up a few days before the Fest and have been known to show up in various clubs, halls and parks to play...sometimes free.
Sacto is still searching for a perm. home for a jazz club. Jazzman's Art of Pasta and a few others are still around.

As for the SJ/SF "thing", only been to SJ 2x but enjoyed each stay.
(GO SHARKS!) But in the long run, I still leave the ol' heart in SF, warts and all.
Kal

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:24 AM
David

X,

No need to be so defensive. I know that it hurts to hear the truth. I can't believe you are trying to compare Sacramento's jazz festival to San Jose's. There is no comparison. The San Jose Jazz Festival is known both nationally and internationally and offers music on about a dozen stages. I agree that Monterey has a famous jazz festival however, being that Monterey is a much smaller city than San Jose, it would be too expensive for the city of Monterey to find enough corporate sponsers to help pay for the event.
The following link is to a New York City jazz festival which I referenced earlier.

http://www.charlieparkerjazzfestival.org/

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
x

David you know nothing about the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee and it is quite obvious. I don't promote SF because I know very little about it. I do however know plenty about SJ and would not inflict that place on unsuspecting visitors to our lovely state. Face it, poor David, your town sucks.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
kal

While we're at it:
http://www.sacjazz.com/

Diverse program again this year.
"Willy's Washboard Jamboree"? Please...no kazoo cracks! ;^D
Kal

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
David

X,

I find it quite odd that you happen to know so much about a city you hate. That makes no sense at all. Admit it, you have an agenda to bash San Jose every opportunity you get without any knowledge about what you are talking about. That is quite obvious.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
jimbo

Poor poor David. He really wants San Jose to be that #1 City. If he's not spouting off how wonderful the museums are, or how many great nightlife is, he's telling us to use the Airport! (www.usesjairport.com)

He is really Mr. San Jose! You see, it's *rare* that someone posts on this board asking a question about San Jose. I mean, why bother.. it's San Jose.. think about it. No one needs to know where to go in SJ when The City by the bay is so close and offers 100x more things to do and see. So, he feels the need to post whenever he can.

Now he's trying his hand at the Jazz scene. Sigh. I'll "try" and correct this folks. Bottomline, he's a problem child here at the Bureau and since it's a city job, we can't really fire him. Sorry again.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:52 PM
doUknow

Next thing he'll say is that San Jose State Univ is a finer university than USF, Stanford or Cal? Stanford has a better jazz band!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -