Search

Top Five Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:22 AM
GoTravel

Top Five Boston?

Hi y'all!

Going to Boston this weekend and looking for everyone's top five or six things!

I would appreciate all suggestions!

Also, we love a great bar whether it be a dive or one with a great view.

Staying at the Westin Waterfront.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walk down the freedom trail
go to a chocolate cafe
go to the New England Aquarium
B-Side Lounge, Green Street, No. 9 Park, Eastern Standard is great for cocktails
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM
GoTravel

Thank you earthopper!

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM

*Maria's Pastry Shop (I like better than Mike's). She makes the best marzipan! (46 Cross St - near the Haymarket, but I believe that's not operating yet)

*Tapas and Sangria at Tapeo on Newbury

*Visit Cambridge - make a stop at L.A. Burdick for out-of-this-world hot chocolate - did I mention it was out-of-this-world??

*Visit the Boston Public Library - it's a beautiful building

*Run along the Charles River

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
GoTravel

Thank you stw!

Do you know where I can find Jo Malone candles?

I am being hosted next weekend in South Beach and need a sursey for our hostess!

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM

I did a search, figuring that I'd find something for you on Newbury Street, but nothing came up. However, the Jo Malone line is carried at both Neiman Marcus and Saks -- call to see if they carry the candles.

Neiman Marcus
5 Copley Square
Boston, MA 02116

Saks Fifth Avenue
Prudential Center
Boston, MA 02199
617 262.8500 (ext. 358)
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Spend an afternoon at the Isabelle Stewart Garner Museum. Stroll along Newbury Street. Take the trolly tour of Boston, getting off in the North End and wandering amongst the wonderful food purveyors. Dinner at Hammersley's Bistro in the Back Bay. Great food.
Run along the Charles- Have fun!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Hi GoTravel.

We just got snow this morning and it is pretty cold here right now so your outdoor activities may be limited.

The Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) just opened a gorgeous new space on the Waterfront so that's an idea. http://www.icaboston.org/

As for bars, the South End is a great neighborhhod to check out. 28 Degrees is a great place.

Whiskey Park and Saint are options for a more upscale bar experience. City Bar at the Lenox Hotel is great, I also like Eastern Standard for drinks. I've heard good things about the RumBa at the new Intercontinental Hotel.

If you're looking to barhop, there's tons of Irish bars in the Faneuil Hall area. The Hong Kong is a great stop for killer scorpion bowls.

Stephanie's on Newbury is a nice place for dinner but they also have a bar with a fireplace, great for a couple of cocktails. Clery's is a fun bar near Back Bay Station, it'a a casual place. A couple other options that are near each other are Sonsie on Newbury and Match on Mass Ave.

Sorry if I rambled!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:58 AM
GoTravel

Y'all are fabulous!

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Second the Isabella Gardner museum.
http://www.gardnermuseum.org/the_mus...troduction.asp

Go to Hahvad Yahd and get a sweatshirt at the Coop.
http://store.thecoop.com/coopstore/estore_home.jsp

Newbury St.
http://www.newbury-st.com/
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM
sistahlou

1.Well knowing that you run. Of course, the Charles up one side cross a bridge and return on Cambridge side. But also you might run to Castle Island and along the water in South Boston and watch the planes land as you run.
2. Eastern Pier Seafood is a Chinese restaurant by your hotel that has a view and the BEST Clams in BlackBean Sauce and lomein. I work in Chinatown, but love this place - very casual.
3. Aquarium and walk the waterfront and Northend neighborhood. Check out the Holocaust Memorial by Fanuel Hall, noting the use of gasses and numbers and take a moment to reflect in one of the 'chambers'
4. THE place for oysters, fried clams and boardwalk fries, made to order clam chowder and lobster roll...Neptune Oyster in the northend.
5. Walk thru the Public Garden and take in the amazing trees unadorned by foliage. Brilliant. Walk up Commonwealth Ave talking in some great statues and the firemans memorial Return direction on Newbury Street taking in shops. Stopping by Four Seasons for tea or a cocktail in the Bristol Lounge on one of their sofas.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
GoTravel

LOBSTER ROLLS!!! OMG I forgot about them!

How is it that I haven't been counting the seconds until my lobster roll?

I'm so excited!

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
sistahlou

Well then, the Other place for Lobster Roll is B&G Oyster in Southend. The thing with them and Neptune and an amazing roll, is to make it fresh. You will not be eating lobster that was shucked 3 days ago. $$$ but worth every penny for the real thing.

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM

Freedom Trail (that could cover all 5 or 6 things since there are various sites and museums along the way)

an art museum - my choice would be new Institute of Contemporary Art because I have not been there yet, but Isabella Stewart Gardner or MFA would be close second

North End - walk around, see pushcart produce vendors on Sat AM, eat at any one of the Italian restaurants

Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area for little shops (although too many are now chains) and a variety of touristy bars and restaurants - you are a tourist, afterall

If weather is tolerable, stroll thru Boston Common, Public Gardens (stop and skate on Frog Pond) and then along Newbury Street.

Any combination of above will give you a taste of Boston.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
gardner musum,
shopping at Louis, Barney's and Filene's Basemen,
drinking at the bar of the Four Seasons overlooking the Public Garden...ditto for the Ritz by the fire.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Best lobster roll or salad...SkipJack's on Claredon Street..opposite the Trinity Chrch
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Duck Tour
North End Culinary Tour(Michelle Topar)
Isabella Stewart Gardiner Museum
Fenway Park Tour
Shop Newbury Street
See a show

Great Upscale Bars:
Bristol Lound in Four Seasons
Oak Room Bar - Copley Plaza
Top of the Hub-Prudential bldg

Have fun!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM

If you want more of a local experience bar-wise, try Doyle's (famous watering hole for pols); James's Gate or the Brendan Behan in Jamaica Plain. Either take a cab from downtown or hop on the orange line to Green Street and hoof it from there. Enjoy!
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Stroll Newbury street for shopping - walk through Public gardens - should look lovely with a new dusting of snow - stop for high tea at the four seasons.
dessert at Finale (the best desserts in Boston)
Go the Harvard Square - check out the bookstores, sip coffee at Peets, buy a Tshirt at the Harvard Coop
For a great dinner - Spire, Blu, B&G Oysters in the South End
Catch a show
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Things to do:

1. Walk around Faneuil Hall, stroll over to Granary Burial Ground and visit the likes of Sam Adams, John Hancock, Paul Revere, Ben Franklin's parents, and Mother Goose.

2. Take some time to enjoy the New England Aquarium... an under-rated find in the city, especially if the weather is sending you indoors.

3. Schedule a tour of Fenway Park if they are running them yet.

4. Walk through the North End. While I am not a fan of Italian Food myself, the small markets and great places to eat make this a classic neighborhood.

5. Museum of Fine Arts is great if you like art. Got kids? Museum of Science is wonderful. Got little kids? The Children's Museum is a fun visit.

6. (in case Fenway Tours are not running yet) Shopping on Newbury Street, also nearby Copley Center and Prudential Center

If you want a great bar, I recommend stopping in at The Purple Shamrock or The Black Rose in Faneuil Hall, Green Briar in Brighton is a favorite also. Good scene all afternoon, all three usually have good Irish music late afternoon and early evening... late night there is a large college crowd, but notn until well after dinner.

If you are into the historical experiences, you could eat at The Union Oyster House (also near Faneuil Hall). This is the oldest running restaurant in the U.S. and the same place the lkes of Adams and Revere ate.

Having lived in Boston for almost 30 years, I am very partial... but I don't think there is a better city in America. Have a great time! =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -