Reload this Page >

TOO crowded at the Cape in Oct???/Weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Cira

Hi everyone! I'm going back to Boston and its surrounding areas this October. I was there years ago in Oct., but stayed only within the confines of the city. Due to the leaves turning, I know October can be very crowded on the Cape specifically, however, which would be the time frame that would have the Cape the LEAST crowded (lesser of two evils) - early October, mid Oct or end of October and WHAT is the WEATHER like during the day in October? Last year I went in late Sept. and it was warm during the day and nice and cool at night.

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Irene

Cira, I would avoid going to the cape around Colombus Day weekend. That's the big travel/leaf-peeping weekend in New England. Early October may still be somewhat crowded. Late October is better but the leaves may be past peak. Going down to the cape on a weekday is your best best for avoiding traffic jams and crowds.
The weather gets cool in October. There can be warmer days but mostly the days are getting chilly by the time October hits. Dress in layers during the day and have a jacket handy at night.
The cape is a great place, any time of year. I hope you enjoy it.
Irene

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Irene

Cira, I would avoid going to the cape around Colombus Day weekend. That's the big travel/leaf-peeping weekend in New England. Early October may still be somewhat crowded. Late October is better but the leaves may be past peak. Going down to the cape on a weekday is your best best for avoiding traffic jams and crowds.
The weather gets cool in October. There can be warmer days but mostly the days are getting chilly by the time October hits. Dress in layers during the day and have a jacket handy at night.
The cape is a great place, any time of year. I hope you enjoy it.
Irene

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 09:07 AM
Donna

October is an excellent time to visit the Cape - NO CROWDS - all the leaf peepers head to the mountains, not the Cape! You'll receive off season rates and miss the "peak" season (summertime) traffic. Note, however, that it's even quieter after Columbus Day weekend. Some restaurants and shops close for the season. As for the weather, you just never know - could be quite frosty in the morning and cool all day, or there might be some Indian Summer weather during your visit.

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 01:27 PM
Dan

I think the fall is the BEST time to go to the Cape (then spring). Donna is right; all the leaf-peepers will be in the mountains of VT, NH, and ME or in western Massachusetts. Go for it!

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 04:18 PM
Cira

thank you ALL so VERY much! I will most definitely follow your advice!