Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

to wdw with a group of 7, 3 adults,3 kids and a 7 month old , for 2000.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 1999, 11:20 AM
abby

I'd like advice on where to stay while visiting wdw.(want a near by,cheap,decent hotel w/pool,laundry and resturant). Also advice on when is the best time to go with a toddler. Planning trip sometime in 2000. Ball point figure of how much money to take for food and spending. Are there some activities that require money while in the parks? And any other comments welcomed.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 06:54 AM
Scott K

WDW is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination! Hotels are all over the property(more like a small city) and rang from 100/nite at All-star resort to $350+ at the Grand Floridian. There are national chin hotels just outside WDW proper in the Village. Best time to go is April or SEPT/OCT for crods and weather. All food inside the park is extra and most is not cheap. But entrance into the park gets you on all rides (unlike 20 years ago when you had to buy tickets-"E" being the best rides, hence rthe phrase for something good "that was an "E" ticket ride") but I digress. I'm not sure your toddler will appreciate it fully but don't let that stop you you will not be alone. Also use the "baby exchange" at rides he/she can't ride-ask any WDW employee!
In summary I would get a brochure from a travel agent on OFFICIAL WDW package deals and go from there also trvel agents are great to talk to. If nothing else keep posting here or write me my wife and I between us have been 20 times from when we were 5 or 6!!

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:15 AM
ilisa

Scott, I don't know where you get your information from, but the All-Star Resorts range from $63-$89 per night, certainly not $100. I am going next month for the 18th time and am paying $64 dollars per night for 4 nights. Price at the Grand Floridian and other deluxe resorts start at $264 per night. With my Magic Kingdom Club discount,we will stay 2 nights at Boardwalk for $204/night. A far cry from starting at $350+. Anyway, Abby, if you wish to stay in the park, you may want to check out the Fort Wilderness Homes. They are cabins in the Fort Wilderness campground which are fully equipped with kitchens, baths, tvs, vcrs. Laundry is on premises. There is also a convenience store and restaurant. It may be easier to stay on-site with a toddler since you can quickly go back to your room if he/she gets cranky or sleepy. I mentioned the Magic Kingdom Club card. You should definitely get one. It entitles you to 10% off tickets, lodging, certain restaurants in the parks, and 10% off merchandise at World of Disney and all Disney stores around the country. Email me if you want more information.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 05:59 AM
abby

Thanks Scott and ilisa for taking the time to respond to my question. I appricate your advice. I just found these great new addresses that are full of people like me that eat and sleep Disney its disneyinfo.com, affordabledisney.com and disneyinfo.com/sights/sound. Thanks again Abby.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 07:05 AM
ilisa

Also try www.wdwig.com.

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 08:51 PM
Joy in Virginia

I highly recommend the website ilisa mentioned, Deb Wills unofficial guide, has great advice. Advantage of on-WDW property: WDW transport, early park entry days, don't have to fight traffic leaving parks at closing time (It is heavy!). Advantages of off-site suite with kitchenette: more space for money, fix your own breakfasts & snacks, can take break from all the action, still can get up early & go to parks at opening time. Our last trip in Sept we (2 adults, 2 kids) spent 2 nights at All-Star Music for $62/night then went to our time-share off Poinciana, 4 miles from WDW, for 1 week. In parks the WDW PHOTOS will cost $7 - $10, and you MUST go to Mickey's Toon town in Magic Kingdom & get kids picture with Mickey at Country Fair tent if you have toddlers, it is so cute! Go from Jan to just before Memorial Day, or week before Labor Day up to November. Avoid June, july, August (except last week) if your kids are not in school. Have Fun!

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 08:52 PM
Joy in Virginia

I highly recommend the website ilisa mentioned, Deb Wills unofficial guide, has great advice. Advantage of on-WDW property: WDW transport, early park entry days, don't have to fight traffic leaving parks at closing time (It is heavy!). Advantages of off-site suite with kitchenette: more space for money, fix your own breakfasts & snacks, can take break from all the action, still can get up early & go to parks at opening time. Our last trip in Sept we (2 adults, 2 kids) spent 2 nights at All-Star Music for $62/night then went to our time-share off Poinciana, 4 miles from WDW, for 1 week. In parks the WDW PHOTOS will cost $7 - $10, and you MUST go to Mickey's Toon town in Magic Kingdom & get kids picture with Mickey at Country Fair tent if you have toddlers, it is so cute! Go from Jan to just before Memorial Day, or week before Labor Day up to November. Avoid June, july, August (except last week) if your kids are not in school. Have Fun!

Old Oct 1st, 1999, 02:50 PM
NancyIL

Abby, if you don't mind taking the kids out of school, I think the week after Thanksgiving is the best time to visit. WDW is decorated for the holidays and it's just gorgeous. The weather is great - not too hot or cold. It's also a relatively uncrowded time, although the Millennium Celebration will attract larger than usual crowds throughout 2000.

During the value season, rooms start at $74 for the All-Stars (rack rate) and go up from there. With 7 people in your group, you'll need 2 rooms. If you are a AAA member, the room discounts (10% at All-Stars, 20% at moderates and deluxe) are the same as with the Magic Kingdom Club (MKC). All-Star Movies opened in 1999, and my kids and I loved it. (We stayed in the Toy Story section.) The All-Stars have a food court instead of a restaurant, but it's much quicker that way!

I'd like to recommend another web site that I frequent a lot: www.disneyinfo.com. There's tons of info, as well as moderated discussion boards that are very helpful.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 10:43 AM
abby

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply to my questions. I am still undecided as when to go. thanks again Abby.