Reload this Page >

To RV or not to RV???

Search

To RV or not to RV???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 03:03 AM
Pam

To RV or not to RV???

My husband and I are arriving in Alaska (early June) via a 7 night cruise on the Mercury. We will be touring AK for about two weeks. Is it a more economical option to RV or B&B & rental car? Is it difficult to get places at camp grounds, are they crowded? I would love to hear from people who have done both these options and the "fors" and "againsts" . We are from Australia and have been saving for this trip for a couple of years but the cruise and airfares have dented the budget a bit.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 10:47 AM
GOL

Pam,
We did the RV thing in summer of '99. Very, very glad we did. During planning I had similar questions. One person gave this advice to me, "Alaska is an RV state," which I was glad I heeded. Here are some brief comments to your questions. I can give lots more via e-mail. Let me know if the one above is real (mine isn't).

We averaged ~$150 day with the RV (rental). Hotels in Anchorage were $179+ . Hotels/motels/shacks in other areas in AK were at least $100. Many said they only have a 4 month year and that is why they charge so much. Rental cars were less, but high nonetheless. I could not get a car cheaper than $45 / day. At 45 for car and 100 for lodging, food becomes the differential. In the RV, we stocked up at Costco (warehouse club store) in Anchorage and planned our food cost carefully.

Also factored into the RV decision was the fact that there was not an abundance of lodging available. I was not comfortable not having a reservation (if we went the rental car/hotel way). Not much in the way of National hotel chains; [We found 2 families on our Deanli bus who had to sleep in their rental car because there wasn't enough rooms nearby - and this was in August, not busy June] We did find some B&Bs that were <$100, but we could not connect them throughout all of our 2300+ miles we travelled. Some of the other lodging places along the roadways were not very prime at all, and obviously a local persons additional income during the summer. Even then they charged $100.

Alaska Law permits campers to stop on the side of any roadway and park overnight. So even if you can't get a campground, you will always have a place to stay in the RV. Book your campground early for Denali (last week in Feb. Info at www.nps.gov/dena). We liked Savage River campground inside the park.

There were many, many, many RV campgrounds along the roadways. Some alongside gas stations; some true campgrounds; I can give you the name of a wonderful campground, each site along side a creek, in Glennallen. Almost all gas stations allow water fill-up and dumping if you fill up the tank. A few times we had a reservation in one campground and when we arrived we changed to another because we didn't like the looks of the first one.

Although I didn't rent a car and drive from lodging to lodging on this trip, we do that often on other trips. I'll compare RV vs rental. It is very noticable that there just aren't the same amount of motels along the AK roads as there are on US interstates/major routes. Many of the places to stay appeared on the outside to be shabby - a "no tell / motel" look. Some of the photos in the Milepost gave the wrong impression - the photo was the best part of the place. There were not a lot of places to eat along the roadways. Although we ate in the RV most of the time, we noticed lines during dinner hours at what would seem to be out of the way places. We suspect that there aren't enough tables to support the demand. The RV gave me the ability to have a very flexible schedule and knowledge that I will have a place to eat and sleep.

If you decide to go RV, we found significant differences between rental companies in/around Anchorage. Call many of them. The Milepost has ads of many RV rental outfits - plus they really have good info for RV planning.

Have fun.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 12:58 PM
wis

I would not recommend RVing. Rental and gas are expensive and campgrounds can be hard to find or full. Narrow, bumpy roads are not always in the best condition for these large vehicles and travel can be very slow. Besides, contrary to what the other poster says, there are many excellent B&Bs and lodges thruout the state. This gives you a chance to meet the interesting people who live in Alaska.

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 04:55 PM
Wanda

Hi Pam, my husband and I flew to Anchorage last August and rented a car for 3 weeks. We put 4550 miles on it.
I had made the reservations at all the motels/B&B in March and had no trouble getting the rooms then. Be sure and get a copy of the Milepost. We had no trouble getting tables at the resterants. We drove on roads that no
RV will fit on.I am no camper, but with
the price of gas and the amount that a RV uses it may not be the cheaper way to go. Just a suggestion.
PS..You will love Alaska.

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 04:05 AM
Pam

Thank you all for your replys. This is a fantastic site, getting info from "real" people who have been there and done that is great. To GOL - we would be really interested to receive further info to the email stated. We would only require a small RV ( we call them camper vans). Do you have web sites for RV rental as I do not have a Milepost yet? They are not available in Austalia so I will have to order by net.
To wis and Wanda, thanks also for your input. I do like the idea of B&B and have chosen the Big Bear in Anchorage for a couple of nights at the start of our trip. We are still weighing options at this stage. We were even thinking of hostels, but there don't seem to be many of those in AK I dont know if you follow the currency rates, but at the moment we only get 55c US for $1 Australian which puts most accomodation in the A$200+ per night category! Also we are paying A$1.03 per Litre of petrol (gas). Talk to me about high prices!! We have been planning this trip for a couple of years and are so looking forward to it. We could wait forever for the exchange rates to be more favourable so we have decided to bite the bullet so to speak. Thanks again.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 05:30 PM
Jean

We were in Alaska this past June for 9 days before going on a cruise. We rented a car. The first night there, I had made advance reservations at Big Bear B&B. The last night in Anchorage before leaving on our cruise we stayed at another B&B in Anchorage. We also stayed at a really, really wonderful B&B in Soldotna area. The other nights we just found places to stay, and didn't have any trouble. A couple of times I called ahead and booked a room for that night when we were going to an area, known to have few motels or B&B's. There was only one night I was worried about a place to stay We didn't want to book ahead, cause we didn't know where we were going to be on any given night.We will probably go back this summer or next and are toying with the idea of an RV. It would be nice and we saw a lot of it, people just stopping and camping. The only drawback I saw with an RV would be the cost of fuel and slowing you down somewhat. A few of the roads we were on would not have been possible in an RV. I think there are probably pros and cons to both. I have been checking rates on RV's and with unlimited mileage, it is up around $175.00 per night for what I have found so far. I can give you the name of the B&B in Soldotna if you are interested. That is down in the Kenai Pen., towards Homer.

Old Jan 9th, 2001, 06:18 AM
S

Pam, we have an RV. Cost wise, when all is said and done, you probably won't save any money. The amount of space you have will be minimal, especially if you rent one of the camper vans. This means space for clothes, food, etc.

Have you ever gone camping in an RV? Make sure the one you rent has an awning. Try one out at home before you head out for a week in one.

On the other hand, you will have the convenience of not being tied down to every meal out. You don't have to worry about reservations or staying an extra day in one place. With the van you're talking about, gas usage shouldn't be as bad as in a regular RV and you should be able to go anywhere a normal van goes. Most campers are great people and you'll come home with lots of new friends.

Honestly, my best advice would be to try out for a weekend at home the size of van you want to rent on vacation. You'll answer a lot of questions and come up with more. Have fun

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Pam

Thanks again. Jean, I would like to know the name of the B&B in Soldotna, and also the other one in Anchorage. We are booked into the Big Bear for our first two nights after our cruise - they have had good reviews and their web page is really friendly.
Has anyone travelled out to Tok from Fairbanks and then back south and west to Anchorage. It sounds a bit like "back country" with towns and amenities few and far between. We will prob go through Paxson. Any B&B recommendations on this route?

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 09:16 PM
kalena

Hi Pam. I posted a very similar question to yours last summer. After consulting with friends who had lived in Alaska, we decided not to RV after all. As S points out, it is not really that much cheaper. I had thought it might be fun, and very different, but in retrospect I am glad we structured our trip the way we did.

If your itinerary is still open, I recommend the little town of Talkeetna. You might want to consider it if you are interested in doing a fly-over Mt. McKinley. We stayed at the Talkeetna Lodge, and had meals at Michelle's Cafe. Lodging does get expensive, though, and we made up for our hotel stays in Kenai and Talkeetna by home exchanging in Anchorage and splitting our time. Our exchange family used our family van while on Oahu, and we got to use their sedan in Alaska.