To Ocean View of Not

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Duane

To Ocean View of Not

I'm planning a honeymoon to Hawaii next May and am just curious about what people think about the value of an ocean view room. For an ocean view room, the rates seem to be anywhere from $100 to $200+ over a mountain or parking lot view.

What are your thoughts?

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Jill

If you plan on spending all your time looking out at the Ocean then book it. If you plan on going outside and seeing the sites, you can save 100-200 a nite for other things.

See wasn't that easy!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:06 PM
nina

The romance of the ocean is walking on the beach near the water, not that momentary glance when you get up in the morning or go to sleep at night.

The extra money can be used for activities such as parasailing, dinner cruises, a luau and shopping.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 02:41 PM
xxx

Don't know which hotel you're staying at but if the rooms are located near the ocean and you can swing it it's a must. There's nothing like falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:32 PM
sara

How often do you go to Hawaii or get a chance to look at the ocean from your lanai. Absolutely go for it! It's a big part of the experience for many of us!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Farrah

If it's for your honeymoon and you can afford it, I'd go for the ocean view! On my honeymoon, I was just glad to go to Maui and stay at the Islander. We didn't have much money, and I was just trilled to go to Maui!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:58 PM
xxx

Personally, I would not pay that much more for a hotel room with a view. I would get an ocean front condo for a lot less. We have reserved an ocean front, one bedroom condo on the big island in January for $125 a night, and an ocean front 1 bedroom house on Kauai for $135 a night.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Duane

We'll be going back in May and the main reason is that we get a duplex right on the water for $600 a week. If it wasn't for this place, not sure I'd be going back.

But the thought of being less than 30 feet from the water in a nice quiet setting makes all the difference.

You decide.
Duane

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 04:12 PM
kal

Ocean view for The Kals!

One thing as romantic as a long walk on the beach is waking up in each other's arms while watching a beautiful Kauaian sunrise coming in thru the veranda's sliding glass door and filling the room full of it's warm, orangey glow.
Phew...i gotta go take a shower!

In fact, just 86 mo' days to go until we see it, baby!

The one time we stayed in Honolulu, we stayed at the the Parc Waikiki. Couldn't afford the o'view back then, '89, but the "mountain view" was surrealistic at night!
Mahalo!
Kal

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Nova

Instead of paying $200 EXTRA for an ocean view there are many places you can get an ocean view for less than $200 total !!!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Huh?

When you get right down to it, this is a pretty silly question.

What if I wrote in and asked how much you people thought I should spend on a car or a house?

You'd laugh (or worse) because I haven't given you enough details to allow anyone to even begin to formulate a reasonable answer for my specific situation.

So....my answer is: please book the most expensive penmthouse suite you can find with ocean view and in room dining room. That's what I'd do.
(Which doesn't have a lick to do with your situation).

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
xxx

With reference to the previous post. most questions posted here don't give enough information to formulate a reasonable answer Such as "which is better, Kaanapali or Wailea?". Without knowing what the asker is looking for it is impossible to tell them what to do.

And many people respond with an answer like "we loved it so you will too" which is a useless piece of information.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Duane

Thanks for everyone's replies.

To the poster "Huh?", if you think this is a silly question, then just don't reply. It was just meant to be a casual inquiry about how people who have spent time at beachfront hotels, not necessarily limited to Hawaii, feel about the value of oceanview rooms.

Not all questions on this board need to have every last bit of deatail. Nine other people posted a reply with no comment about info... they didn't seem to have a problem with the questipon being "silly." Obviously money is a factor, or I would not have asked the question in the first place. Can I afford to spend $500 a night for a room right on the beach? Sure. Does that mean I should? Maybe not. That's why I was looking for opinions.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Cheryl

Love ocean view. Nothing like getting lulled to sleep by the sounds of the waves. Last vacation I took had wrap around ocean view balcony but the best was that I could see it from the bathroom and shower!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Don

depends on how you will use the room...if you want to get up and make coffee in your room and sit on your lanai and enjoy the view you will want to pay for the view...if you prefer to get dressed and go out to a big buffet breakfast in a restaurant you won't...if you like to go back to your room and watch the sun set with your honey and a bottle of wine on the lanai, you will want to pay for the view, if you would rather go to the bar and hear the Hawaiian music and be with other people until it is dark, you don't...it all depends on how you plan to use the room and the view...I am a coffee and wine person...hate breakfast buffets and the whole bar scene...but that is just me...and I am willing to pay for the view...you may not be and that's why they have different rooms! Have a great trip!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Reade

An oceanfront room is a hell of a lot nicer than a garbage view or alley view room. Try to find out where the non-water view rooms face. You do not want to be awaken by delivery trucks, slamming car doors and loud talking workers at 6 in the a.m. Aloha!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Diane M

We have been to Hawaii many times. At first, we stayed in the cheapest rooms (meaning "graden view"). Many times those "garden view" rooms overlook the parking lot, and those parking lots are damned noisy in the early morning hours. The maids and other help love to laugh and talk about their lives, and they don't care at all about the guests who are sleeping. If you pay extra for an ocean view, you will not only get the view but also the sound of the ocean........and some peaceful sleep (that is, if your next-door neighbors don't have a party every night). I know a lot of people say your room isn't important because you spend all of your time exploring the island and just come back to sleep. Not all of your time will be spent exploring the island, so you'd better like the room and its location.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Paki

In Oahu, the ocean view rooms get the hot sun all afternoon and are too warm. The mountain view rooms get morning sun and then afternoon shade, which is much better when it is 90 out. The mountain view rooms also get a view of the rainbows that form in the mist over the mountains quite often.

We go for a month every year. To enjoy the ocean and sunset, we just go for a walk on the beach about 6 PM and get both. I only know about Oahu, not Maui.

Personally, I would rather spend the extra $200 on other things, like dinner out.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Pat

Make sure you are clear on what you are paying for. We once paid extra for an "ocean view" room in Mexico and ended up with the only room that had a gigantic palm tree growing smack in the middle of the obscured view!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Scott

Having read all these notes I would certainly have to agree in Ivanna No's posting. If your new bride know's she is loved, then the ceiling view will be just fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information