To drive or not? Yosemite NP?

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To drive or not? Yosemite NP?

I'm from Singapore. I'm driving in from San Francisco to Yosemite NP. I'm a little lost in what I should do. I hope anyone with experiences at YNP can give me some advice. It's my first time to a national park

1) I hope to stay outside the park, but where is a better entrance to stay near to?
2) Should I drive into the park or take a shuttle into the park?
3) Are the shuttle services within the park adequate to take me to all 'must-see' places?

Any advice is appreciated!

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:17 AM

I would drive. I wouldn't stay outside the park. I would stay inside the park in Yosemite Valley. You will want to go see the big trees at Wawonna and you might want to drive Tioga. You are in for a real treat. The only negative thing about Yosemite is it a crowded national park. What time of the year are you planning this trip? National Parks generally are somewhat primitive compared to the the rest of the US as far a lodging and dining. Yosemite is more advanced and organized than most parks.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 03:18 AM

We stayed in Mariposa when we visited(twice) the park. It's a nice drive to the park.You can use your car for the visit.Dont forget to visit the Mariposa grove of giant trees and Glacier point.Paul
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
cd

The suggestion to stay inside the Park in the Valley would also be my suggestion.We stayed at Yosemite Lodge. The location is awesome, right at the base of Yosemite Falls. Very clean and basic accomodations http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm

Also, as was suggested be sure and drive to the Redwoods, They are not to be missed.
http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/sequoias.htm
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" I hope to stay outside the park, " May I ask why you want to stay outside the park?

Not only would I stay in the park - I would stay on the Valley floor. Yes, people do stay outside, but usually that is a second choice because they could get a booking inside the park.

Unless there are no rooms available for your dates, I'd definitely stay in the Valley. And even then - I'd book a cancelable motel and keep trying for a last minute cancellation in the park.

Once you are in the Valley, you can take the shuttle everywhere.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM

If you can't stay in the valley, I would stay in El Portal, which is the closest town. The shuttle bus into Yosemite valley is also convinient from there. Once you are in Yosemite valley, you can take a different shuttle around - this will be more than fine for seeing areas of Yosemite valley. If you want to go to Wawona, Mariposa Grove, or Tuolumne Meadows, then bring your car.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 11:16 AM

You also might want to check into the condominiums at Yosemite West, a private enclave inside the park boundary. Off Highway 41, and a 15-20 minute drive to Yosemite Valley.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oops - That should read " . . . because they could not get a booking inside the park."
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 02:23 PM

What dates do you plan to do this?
Weather could be a factor in your plans.

Do not go to the park on a holiday as it is beyond control. We could not find bathrooms without huge long lines, roads were crowded and very hard to drive.

Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ditto, stay in the Valley, and experience it's glory. Something to be said for the truly touristy part -- it wouldn't be full of tourists if it had a bad rap!

Try Curry Village cabins, if you can get a room. Nice, woodsy digs, own bathroom, not too expensive (considering), no t.v. or phone.

The CV cabins were our final frontier -- we have now officially tried every accommodation within the valley, and frankly, I was really pleased with the B&B cabins this summer.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
bwg

I have just started reading about Yosemite and have some questions about lodging. It appears lodging is not managed by Xanterra (at GC) or a similar co? Private b& bs , motels are all included in with Yosemite lodging? I guess I'm finding it a bit confusing. If we stay within Yosemite , what is recommended/not rec. for 2 adults. and what area?
Thanks!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM

We stayed just outside the park at the Yosemite View Lodge. It was great. Nice room with a double shower, big jacuzzi tub, balcony overlooking the Merced River.

We drove everywhere except for a little bit of use of the shuttle but only on the valley floor.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM
cd

bwg
We stayed in Yosemite Lodge. Not fancy but clean and location, location, location. I would stay there again. http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommod...miteLodge.aspx

It's location is the Valley Floor with awesome views and a shuttle is available at the front door to many places in the valley.
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM

bwg - try this site - all the lodging listed is in the park:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodations.aspx
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM
bwg

I booked Yosemite Lodge at the Falls. Views look awesome! Thanks for the help
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
cd

bwg
You will not be sorry. Have a great trip, your pictures will be awesome.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM

I join the others who say stay in the Valley. Get up early and see the Falls without the crowds, have breakfast at the Ahwanee Hotel, one of the most beautiful hotels in the United Sates, hike up to Nevada Falls (or Vernal Falls or the Bridge if Nevada is too far). Have a picnic lunch by the river at Sentinel picnic ground. Rent a bike and ride around the Valley floor including the east end which is closed to automobile traffic. Drive up Glacier Point Road, walk 1 mile to Taft Point with a picnic lunch before driving on to Glacier Point itself. If you have enough time, drive one hour east of the valley on beautiful route 120 and see Tuolomne Meadows.

Enjoy--although Yosemite suffers somewhat from too much love, it only takes 10-15 of walking to get away from the crowds on all but the most popular trails.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

I've reserved a non heated tent cabin at Curry Village. It's relatively cheap at about $39 per night. Anyone stayed there before? Any experience to share?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Summer:

You are going in October, correct? You will need heat at night. Try to get a nicer accomodation, with heat.

Remember: You get what you pay for.

MY
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:20 AM

We went in late October a few years back and yes, it was cold at night. During the day, it warmed up, but at night, temperatures dropped below freezing.

This last spring, we stayed at the Housekeeping camp, which are also tent cabins with no heat. We had one night below freezing. We were prepared so it wasn't bad, but a lot of people we talked to were very cold.

If you will have the proper gear and are used to camping out when it is cold, it is ok to be without heat, but since this is part of a longer trip to California rather than just a cold-weather camping trip, I suspect you wont be hauling cold weather gear around with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -