Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

To drive or not to drive...that is the question

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have been renting in Tucson from Feb 1st through March 15th for the past 2 years.We are from the Chicago area and we always fly there and rent a car. We have met other midwestern couples who drive to Tucson yearly. They love it. We starting looking into driving realizing that we can get stuck in some lousy weather especially leaving Chicago at the end of January. The flip side is that we could extend our vacation a good week or ten days and drive into parts of New Mexico and Texas which we have never seen on our way back when the weather won't be quite as "iffy'

We both enjoy car trips and do not mind stopping and getting out and stretching . Our real passion is hiking and scenery and we realize we must drive a long time before we reach the sites that would really thrill us.

We have been through St. Louis and the Ozarks of Missouri, and my husband is working on two different routes; one on interstates to get us ther faster, and the other using a combination of
scenic byways and route 66 coming home.

Have any of you taken this trip by car??? We really would love your input, because part of me thinks we may be biting off more than we can chew and we could do a smaller version in the fall or spring . However the other part of me thinks this could be a real adventure, and if it is not to our liking, we wouldn't do it again. My husbnd drives a convertible which I know he is dying to have in Tucson. Rentals of convertibles are very expensive for us.

We certainly are not naive enough to think we would be saving money by driving The contrary is probably true. We would do it because it is a new experience for us and since we are newly retired we have the time.

Please let us know if you or any friends have driven this route. If some of you have, we would love to discuss highlights and "must sees" along the way.
Fodorites have helped us many times and we hope you will be able to again. Thanks,
My husband and I have been renting in Tucson from Feb 1st through March 15th for the past 2 years.We are from the Chicago area and we always fly there and rent a car. We have met other midwestern couples who drive to Tucson yearly. They love it. We starting looking into driving realizing that we can get stuck in some lousy weather especially leaving Chicago at the end of January. The flip side is that we could extend our vacation a good week or ten days and drive into parts of New Mexico and Texas which we have never seen on our way back when the weather won't be quite as "iffy'

We both enjoy car trips and do not mind stopping and getting out and stretching . Our real passion is hiking and scenery and we realize we must drive a long time before we reach the sites that would really thrill us.

We have been through St. Louis and the Ozarks of Missouri, and my husband is working on two different routes; one on interstates to get us ther faster, and the other using a combination of

Have any of you taken this trip by car??? We really would love your input, because part of me thinks we may be biting off more than we can chew and we could do a smaller version in the fall or spring . However the other part of me thinks this could be a real adventure, and if it is not to our liking, we wouldn't do it again. My husbnd drives a convertible which I know he is dying to have in Tucson. Rentals of convertibles are very expensive for us.

We certainly are not naive enough to think we would be saving money by driving The contrary is probably true. We would do it because it is a new experience for us and since we are newly retired we have the time.

Please let us know if you or any friends have driven this route. If some of you have, we would love to discuss highlights and "must sees" along the way.
Fodorites have helped us many times and we hope you will be able to again. Thanks,

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
idleweiss: You don't need to re-post this 5 times. All threads are lumped together on the general USA forum so now you have 5 threads going w/ identical questions.

(BTW - you can click on multiple states before posting a thread. They'll still land in the same place - "United States", but folks searching for a specific state will find them)

There are just not enough of these long and rambling posts.

This forum puts all the posts in thre US forum so you do not have to create a new message for each state. You can stop doing that.
yk

Just want to say, you do not need to post the same question 5 times...

If you want to tag your post to multiple states (in your case, TX, AZ, NM etc), just hold down the control key when you click on each State, and you would be able to just post this once with multiple tags.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM

was posting the same time as suzie . . . .

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM

. . . and yk
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Yikes!
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:15 PM

I think it's funny we all picked the same one to post to. What are the odds of that? oh 5:1 1:5 ?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Did anyone actually read the post?

The post isn't really supposed to be that long. The message is repeated 5 times.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:19 PM

_ but poor idleweiss has more problems than just multiple threads.

The message is "only" 6 paragraphs but she's duplicated it 7 times - totaling 54 paragraphs! Times 5 threads = 270 paragraphs asking about driving from IL to AZ. Takes longer to read than to drive
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM

Does this thread have a virus?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:25 PM

nope suzie - seven times . . . .
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:30 PM

OMG janis there are now actually 8 duplicates of the original mesage. Do you think it will continue to grow?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Yes, progressively.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Well idelweiss is not a first time poster so she should know the drill. Maybe she's having computer problems. ;-)

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM

OK, idleweiss goofed. But about their query, of course there is lots to see and do when driving. We live in Springfield, MO, and have many times driven to Chicago. Lots to see in St. Louis of course. An excellent stop if you take the time is the new Lincoln Museum in Spfld, IL. As for the "Ozarks of Missouri" you will find resorts and sightseeing galore. Of course there is Branson with a wide selection of shows.

Ozarksbill
[email protected]
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM

I agree that that's an iffy time, weather wise to drive through that route. Though, I'm a jaded native Californian whose afraid of snow!
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:58 AM

take the drive, and enjoy the adventure. If you are used to Chicaco weather, you should easily be able to handle the other area's winter!