Reload this Page >

Tips wanted for european family in Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 08:02 AM
jean-francois Clay

We are a french family and we are going to the USA during July. We will be in Florida between the 6th and the 11th of July around Orlando and Miami. The family is six alltogether, 2 adults and 4 children aged 16, 14, 12, and 9. The first plans are Kennedy Space Center, Everglades and maybe some recreation parks.
Is there any suggestions and don't miss,particularly for the children.
(thank you to omit comments about short time!)

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 09:48 AM
Paul Rabe

Gosh, you're seeing a lot of the US on this trip!! We're glad you're here!

For Florida, July is the OFF-season, as the weather is hot, humid, and rainy just about every afternoon. Don't be stuck without an umbrella late in the day!

Buy some DEET bug repellent before you go to the Everglades; there will be LOTS of mosquitos there.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 01:46 PM
Lee

Jean-Francois: Orlando is quite a distance from Miami. As an adult, I worked in Orlando and as a kid, I lived in Miami. My suggestion is for the Orlando area: You can take in Disney for one day at the Magic Kingdom for the kids. Disney is very expensive and many of the other (Disney) attractions are not worth the time and money. Take a trip over to Cocoa Beach and spend a day there (it's free) and while over there, visit Kennedy Space Center, it's not expensive and it's pretty cool. As for Miami, you can check out the beach at Ft. Lauderdale, but there really isn't any public beach in Miami. Pass on the Everglades unless you feel strongly about it and instead check out the Florida Keys. You may not want to spend a couple of hours, but I would drive out maybe to Key West. It's a nice town. Miami can be somewhat confusing (and dangerous) if you don't know your way around. If you don't want to go all that way south (towards Miami), then go west from Orlando to Clearwater (it's on the gulf side). Now that is a pretty place! Have fun and a good trip!

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 10:39 AM
Michal Harezlak

Salute !!
Get ready for really hot and humid, but you never know,You can be surprise, this year weather is not the same !!! Here is few tips : Get some guide book on amusement parks with attractions ratings, so you won’t spend time on something that sucks.If you have limited time go and check up Universal studio, or Wild and Wet. There is Disney’s in Orlando. It is really cool, but since you have Disney’s in Paris you may want to see something else, anyway They have something new this year called Animal Kingdom.
Everglades it is good idea !!! but as Paul said
beware of mosquito, I would go for kayak’s trip over there to see Alligators and maybe crocodiles.

Have a greate time.

Ps. Please excuse my English.

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 12:03 PM
Nicole

You may want to check and make sure the current fires that are ravaging Florida are not affecting the areas that you are interested in visiting. It may help you decide which regions to add to your trip and which to avoid. At any rate, I imagine there will be a smoky haze over most of the state--as was the problem last month here in Texas when the Mexico fires filled our air with smoke and made outside activities virtually impossible.
good luck!

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:35 PM
Eileenhe west coast of Flo

I live on the West Coast of Central Florida near Clearwater and would recommend this area in case you decide not to drive all the way to Miami. Miami is a beautiful city, but the drive from Orlando to Miami is uneventful . Clearwater is only 1 1/2 hours from Orlando and Tampa offers a great theme park-Busch Gardens with wild animals and some of the best rollercoasters on the East Coast. The Clearwater Beaches are pristine and there are many museums and parks (St. John's Pass for one). The Everglades this time of year is extremely hot and IF you should view an alligator, it is usually a brief encounter. In Miami, I would visit South Beach (Cannes-like) and Biscayne Bay. Have fun and enjoy!

Old Jun 22nd, 1998, 04:35 PM
Eileen

I live on the West Coast of Central Florida near Clearwater and would recommend this area in case you decide not to drive all the way to Miami. Miami is a beautiful city, but the drive from Orlando to Miami is uneventful . Clearwater is only 1 1/2 hours from Orlando and Tampa offers a great theme park-Busch Gardens with wild animals and some of the best rollercoasters on the East Coast. The Clearwater Beaches are pristine and there are many museums and parks (St. John's Pass for one). The Everglades this time of year is extremely hot and IF you should view an alligator, it is usually a brief encounter. In Miami, I would visit South Beach (Cannes-like) and Biscayne Bay. Have fun and enjoy!

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 02:21 PM
Phil

I am a tourist to Florida from Chicago. Also a place you don't want to be in July. The Miami area is only so-so these days. It is really like a transplanted Havanna Cuba so if you are looking for that experiance you will be very happy. There is parrott jungle somewhere near there. Kennedy space center is great. There are 2 tours that will eat up most of the day. You obviously know of Walt Disney World in Orlando but there are other parks like Universal Movie Studio's and Sea World to see. Universal is a full day to see. In the Clearwater area (across the state from Kennedy) there is one of my favourites, Busch Gardens. It has a Budweiser Breweryto tour, a Zoo, and Amusement Park with thrill rides (something there aren't too many of at Disney)and is a very nice day. If you do make it to the glades be sure to take an air boat tour. There are a lot of folks who take people out into the glades via air boat which is the only way you will get to see much of them. There are a million pamphlets availble all over the state so when you get there you will be sure to see something that wil interest you. Last time in Orlando I went to a mystery dinner/theater and we had a lot of fun. Welcome to the states and if you need any more info just drop me a line.

Phil

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 02:49 PM
kam

Definitely agree with Eileenhe about the suggestions for Clearwater Beach---lovely town with shelling a great beaches. Good lilttle seafood restaurants. After the Space Center and Disney, Busch Gardens might be a bit much, but you decide. I think Clearwater would allow all of you to relax and get some sun. Also, I understand the fires are really bad. We know from living in California how frightening they can be. Hopefully it will be over soon---they desparately need rain down there.

Old Jun 26th, 1998, 03:17 PM
Kitty

My suggestions are: Disney World and Universal Studios in the Orlando area, Kennedy Space Center on the east coast, Busch Garden's and Clearwater Beach on the west coast (the Gulf water is warmer than the Atlantic water).
Kitty

Old Jun 28th, 1998, 05:39 PM
Maryann

Bienvenue! I have vacationed in Florida many times and I strongly agree with those who suggest visiting the Space Center, Magic Kingdom, the new Animal Kingdom at Disney, Sea World, and then on to the west coast to the Clearwater area. Shelling is great fun early in the morning on the west coast beaches. The water tends to be calmer there for swimming, too, than it is on the east coast. Recent news reports still say the fires are going strong, last I heard they are concentrated in the northern third of the state with smoke and haze affecting many parts of Florida. Whatever you decide, I wish you sunny days and starry nights. Please e-mail me if you need any other info.

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 10:25 AM
Ken

check out www.orlandotravel.com

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 07:00 AM
Stephanie

It is usually extremely hot and humid in Florida during the summer, so you'll want to be sure and drink plenty of water so no one gets dehydrated. Along those same lines, bring your deoderant/antipersperant, and bug spray! (you can always buy some at a supermarket...it will probably be cheaper to buy in the US rather than France).

Also, Florida is currently having lots of problems with wildfires, so you might consider doing a little searching on the Internet & stay away from the fire-prone areas. Some areas have been evacuated due to the fires & heavy smoke.

Welcome to the U.S.! Hope your stay is a pleasant one.