Reload this Page >

tips on airport transit in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 12:03 PM
pat

My husband & I will be flying into Laguardia early one day and out of JFK late the next. We are trying to save money on ground transport. Subway and buses seem a little much since we'll be traveling with our luggage for Europe. Any city-savvy suggestions? If cab is the best route what kind of fares will we pay? Thanks, Pat

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 01:55 PM
rqf

Not sure of exact cost of bus transportation from LGA to Manhattan - will cost around $25 for two. A taxi from LGA to midtown will cost about the same, possibly a little less so the taxi is the way to go. Depending on traffic trip can take from less than 30 minutes to an hour. The subway/bus option will cost $1.50 per person but can be a hassle with luggage. No place to store luggage on either. Train service available, $1.50 each, Manhattan to JFk. Trip will take about one hour - same hassle with luggage. Using a car service to JFk will cost more than $40 with tip an bridge. toll included. A yellow cab will cost a dollar or so less. If I were doing this I would use the yellow taxi.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:10 PM
ll

there used to be a standardized taxi fare set up by mayor giuliani - all taxi's to and from jfk and laguardia was around $30-$35 not including tolls.

i'm not sure if they're still doing this - there used to be stickers on the back of the front seat of cabs - but you can check out the port authority site for more info:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgaframe.HTM

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:58 PM
confirm

$30-$35 plus tolls, but they never make you pay the tolls... so just tip

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:46 AM
rqf

The fixed rate for a taxi, JFk to Manhattan is $30. It does not include tip and toll if driver uses a toll facility. There is no fixed rate, Manhattan to JFK - you pay whatever shows on the meter. Tip and toll is extra.
You always pay the toll if there is one.
There isn't a taxi cab driver who is going to pay a $3.50 toll out of his own pocket. If a driver does not ask for the toll it is because he used one of the free bridges to get into Manhattan from Queens or Brooklyn.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:01 AM
guy

As memory serves me...and I should know better cuz I am in and out of NYC regularly...The fare to and from LGA to Manhattan (mid-town)..is about $18 + tip + $3.50 for toll fees....the fares from JFK to Manhattan are fixed at one rate $30 + tolls.....the return is as per the meter and will usually be a few bucks more...Hope this helps..There is also a transportation van that goes to Manhattan with drop offs at many of the hotels...ask at the transportation information desk near the baggage claim area..

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Lee

I highly recommend a car service with a private car and driver that you confirm in advance (just call the Concierge or front desk of your hotel to arrange) It's not as expensive as you would think....between $30 - 50 one way into Manhattan.I've sworn never to arrive in LaGuardia without having the car and driver. Cabs can be scarce and most of the time the taxi line has 50+ people waiting.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Patrick

We once took the bus service in from Laguardia and were told that it took us directly to our hotel, the Marriott Marquis. They actually dropped us off at Grand Central Station where we transferred to a separate bus and our hotel was the fifth and final stop for that bus. It took us over an hour from Grand Central to our hotel only a few blocks away, because we were stuck in traffic delivering people to the other 4 hotels. And we paid something like $11 each, which was almost the same as what a taxi for the two of us would have cost. NEVER AGAIN! We have always taken a taxi from Laguardia since (maybe 10 times) and have never waited more than about 5 minutes in the line, but maybe we have been lucky.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Anne

LaGuardia is also fixed rate: $25.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:52 PM
rqf

I believe you are mistaken about a fixed rate of $25 LGA to Manhattan. The meter rate LGA to midtown is less than $20.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 09:38 PM
annK

I would also suggest taking a taxi into Manhattan, and here is a trick. If you are flying AA, UA or one of the airlines that arrive at the main terminal, there is a line of taxis out the door and just beyond AA at the very end of the main terminal. Very rarely a line there, most tourists don't know about the cabs there.

I would check with your hotel about the trip back to JFK, either a service car, like 777-7777 or 505-0555 both area code 212. You can get a good rate for two traveling to JFK.

The other option is to take the train, but with lots of luggage that might be a bit of a hassle. The train has proven to be a real help on days when the traffic has been really bad heading out to Long Island. That way the cost is $1.50 pp all the way to JFK and then a shuttle van takes you to your terminal.

Have a great time.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Patrick

Well, now I know why I've never had a line for a taxi at Laguardia. I always fly American and that taxi line right outside their baggage claim is the only one I knew about. Generally I hop right into a taxi there, and was always surprised that it wasn't busier. I assumed it was the main taxi stand.