Tips on a Romantic week in Maui

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:30 AM
JJsoon

Tips on a Romantic week in Maui

Never thought this honeymoon thing would be so tough -- Anyhow, we plan to stay in MAUI for a week in a cottage in the Upcountry in January -- it's gonna be cold I know but we don't plan to stay in the cottage much. Anyhow I was wondering for those have gone on a honeymoon in Maui, what did you guys like the best? Romantic beaches, hikes, helecopters rides, etc...

Oh and also do you guys suggest any books?

Thanks in advance!

JJsooon

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Dr.Ruth

For a good book try the New Joy of Sex. I have also heard that the Kama Sutra is also in print format (you could probably also get it on audio tape and listen to it on the flight over)

Have a great Honeymoon!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Mike

Try the Plantation Inn in Lahiahina(spelling?)it is a very good place to stay. Right in the middle of town,plenty of places to eat and a short drive to just about anywhere on Maui.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Mike

In addition to the above(sorry about this) the rooms are non smoking and the decor is wonderfull(no they don't pay me!!)

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:54 AM
John R.

I don't want to cast a negative tone on this thread but in my opinion if you want to have a romantic week DO NOT spend much time in Lahaina. My wife and I were very turned off by the touristy, cheesy, crowded atmosphere of the place. I wanted to visit because of the historical aspect (I had just read Michener's 'Hawaii') but we found the town to be unappealing and mainly a crowded collection of cheap jewelry and t-shirt shops (a simplification but you get my point, right?). Not romantic in my book, and not very indicative of the rest of Hawaii that we so enjoyed during our visit.

There were plenty of spots on Maui that we did find romantic like horseback riding on the north shore, driving through the upcountry, sunset dinners, etc. We enjoyed the intimate community of Makawao and the art shops there like Hot Island Glass. In fact we enjoyed just about everything about the place except for Lahaina.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Katie

I agree with John R about Lahaina!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Pamela

I agree that Lahaina is not very romantic, but it is a very fun location. They have a lot more than just t-shirt shops. There were a lot of VERY expensive stores there as well and the restaurants are pretty good too.

Lahaina is definitely worth a day. But then again, I guess that some people don't like to have fun.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Joe

Find fun where you can. Lahania is OK, there were the historical things to find, but threre is a lot shops too... SOme nice ones also. Have a ball , just relax and live ALOHA

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:11 AM
JJsoon

Out of the seven days, I have one day planned, the famous "road to Hana." =)

Horse backing is something definately we're looking forward to. We're looking for a ride that is scenic -- searching the a web I found a few horseback ranches, do you guys have a favorite, or a not so favorite?

Any advice on dinner cruises/underwater submarine rides?

Thanks,
JJsoon

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:35 AM
heidi

I just read yesterday on mauinews.com that there has been a lot of robberies and violence along Front street in Lahaina. It seems that drugs are running rampant and these kids rob tourists to get money for drugs. When we were there last November I told my husban d that I was afraid to go by the stone wall because the people there would beg for money and give us an earful when we said no.

They are saying that it is especially bad at night down there, but they have extra police on duty now. What a shame because there are many wonderful restaurants and galleries in Lahaina.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:12 AM
Nova

There are few places that I have felt more safe than in Lahaina !!

How did this thread become a discussion on Lahaaina ? Would someone answer the original question.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 07:56 AM
Katie

JJsoon, to your question, on my first trip to HI, I found, of all things, Hawaii for dummies to be helpful. It's an abbreviated version of the Fodor's book (even steals word for word). It covers accomodations, restaurants, shopping, activities, etc. It's a start. There are also tons of websites to do some research. If I'd done some back in '00, my trip would have been more enjoyable. You might want to consider the following (do your own research on the best companies to use): Road to Hana (spending the nite is often recommended here), bike down the volcano, take a snorkel trip to Lanai or Molokini (I found Molokini to be filled with tourists; it was like a parking lot). Most of all, relax, have fun, and enjoy your new spouse. Good luck with the wedding.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:26 AM
sightseer

Plan on spending a night in Hana. They have horseback riding along the beach and it's nice and uncrowded since few people take advantage of staying in this area. By staying overnight, it would allow you to take a leisurely drive to Hana. Stop and buy a audiotape at one of the roadside stands for tips for the drive. Stop and swim in the waterfalls along the drive and pack a lunch for the long drive.

I loved my stay at the Hana Maui Resort, but be sure to try and bargain down the high room rates for one of the seaside cottages.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:34 AM
Mitch

Road to Hana - its the journey, not the destination. Go to the Black Sand Beach and the Seven Sacred Pools and enjoy the many waterfalls along the way. Rent a convertible car, buy an audiotape from the Shell station, pack a lunch and have a great time!!! Also see the sunrise at Haleakala and ride the bike down. Also visit Molokini for snorkeling/scuba and the West Maui Mountains are great too1 for sightseeing.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 08:56 AM
JJsoon

Thanks for the great info, everyone.

We were thinking about spending the night in Hana. Just curious is the Road to Hana... busy?

Convertible, huh... I was thinking that and then I read somewhere here that because of the rain factor in Hawaii convertibles aren't always the best option. What's your opinion?

Thanks,
JJsoon

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 09:07 AM
Katie

Road to Hana does get busy. Leave early in the AM. By staying overnight, you go against traffic the next day.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 11:43 AM
jenn

Do rent the convertible - you'll see more and the air is wonderful. As far as the rain, it's not cold rain so even if you do get a few drops while you're getting the top up,(most are electric and are fast) it's really not a big problem. Just be sure to put the top up when you park if it's cloudy. We've rented both ways and the convertible is definitely preferred.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 11:48 AM
x

JJsoon,

You can get something besides a convertible and then spend your honeymoon being jealous of all those romantic couples driving around in their convertibles or you can do the right thing and arrange for one. You may not have noticed, but human beings are waterproof for the most part. Warm air also dries clothes that are wet. Dry air is available outside of the clothes dryer. =)

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Cynthia

Since we're on the subject of cars -- what ya'll think about a Jeep in Maui?

Cynthia

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Mitch

Definitely rent a convertible. I rent Sebring's every time. Those rental cars have been on the road to Hana so many times that you really don't have to steer!!! Yes, you are driving thru a rainforest but the light rains are so gentle and quick that you laugh about it. Convertibles will improve your trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -