Reload this Page >

Tipping at the buffet

Search

Tipping at the buffet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:00 PM
xx

Tipping at the buffet

I see all sorts of tipping questions but I still don't get how or why to tip for a buffet. I would be especially interested in answers from those who ever worked at a buffet. How much do you tip if you are eating at a buffet or one of those all you can eat placces?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:27 PM
xx

Good question! I usually tip about ten percent, figuring that the main work of a waiter/waitress just doesn't happen at buffets. The ones I go to most, the waiter will seat you, take drink orders, bring new silverware or napkins if needed, but has nothing to do with the food.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:26 PM
traveller

I leave $3-5 for two people at a Vegas buffet. Is that enough?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:59 PM
L.S.

Interesting question. I often tip 15% even though I've heard that 10% is standard because the waiter/waitress often seems so busy clearing plates, refilling platters, etc.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
Patrick

The only buffets I'm familiar with are some upscale brunches, etc. It seems that often with several trips to the buffet and the server clearing my place each time, refolding my napkin, and replacing my silverware, plus taking and delivering drink orders and bringing me the check, that the server has often worked harder than one for a regular meal. As a result I still usually tip 20% if they have been attentative.
Note: I'm not talking about an "all you can eat" extravaganza where they seat you and forget you. I'm not sure a tip is necessary at all there.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:55 AM
tipping in America

I'am sorry but only in America you will tip for a buffet. It' s crazy in the USA,but going out for lunch or dinner at a buffet ( where you do most of the work)should be tip free...

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:45 AM
gail

At least 10% at good buffet where wait staff is always removing plates, giving new silverware, filling drinks. But it does bug me when the table starts to pile up with discarded plates or they do not bring me new silverware when it disappears with the plate.