Time Zone Travel with 6-month old

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had posted a discussion about finding childcare in Hawaii for a trip we have planned. I ended up finding a great situation for us to get a babysitter for a few days - someone i knew well in college who actually lives there.

My wife was reading about time zone adjustment for babies. How hard will it be on him being 6 mos. old and having a 5-6 hour time difference? He will still be nursing at that time hopefully.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:38 AM

In my experience, most 6-month-olds don't have much of a sense of time yet anyway, especially if they're nursing and not yet sleeping through the night. Expect a day or two of jumbled sleeping habits and then a settled pattern.
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:47 AM

During your travels his sleep patterns will likely get disrupted enough that by the time you arrive it will all be new - he may sleep or be awake onplane at times not usual for hi. When we traveled with young kids across time zones, they had a much easier time adjusting to time differences than we did.

Once we were so silly as to try to morph our first's sleep patterns by a half hour each day for a week before we left - all that accomplished was to make everyone really cranky.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:30 AM

I agree that his "sleep patterns" really aren't defined by the time zone but by nursing/eating (empty belly/full belly).

I nursed both my kids and they both started flying @ 3 months old. Time zones didn't affect them until they were a year old. We took 8 yr old son to Kauai (from the East coast) when he was 15 months old - we saw every sunrise, but never a sunset! LOL! I don't think the time zone switches affect them until they're toddlers and they're entering "normal" sleep cycles.

I think you'll be in fine shape. Best of luck!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. We kind of figured that we would be more messed up by the time difference than he would be. We're looking forward to it.