Reload this Page >

Through My Eyes Only: A Tale of Two Colorado's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
MaureenB

I was so struck by the dual personality of our beloved Colorado Rockies this past weekend. Regardless of my own personal bias, it was clear to me how tourists can find whatever they prefer here in Colorado ski country: the rural, laid-back, off-the-beaten-path Rockies; or the easy-access, new, consumers' paradise Rockies.

We had spent the holiday week at our get-away home in Tabernash, CO (10 miles north of Winter Park ski area) with our two teens. (That alone hints at my own personal preference in the Rockies.) We needed to drop our daughter off in Silverthorne on our way home to Denver, so we took the 'scenic route' via Highway 40 through Granby to Kremmling, then Highway 9 to Silverthorn/Dillon-- a little over an hour's drive. After that, we headed back to Denver on I-70, through the Eisenhower tunnel.

The contrast between Highway 40/Highway 9 and I-70 is marked. Simply put, Highways 40 and 9 are open range, pick-up truck country, authentic down-home Colorado with sweeping vistas, cattle crossings, and a two-lane highway. I-70 is super-freeway, strip malls, fast-food, and 'suburban' developments. (Actually the new term I think is 'exurban'.)

From our isolated home in Winter Park Highlands, set on three heavily treed acres, a three-mile drive on county road from Highway 40, we went to an exurban split-level newish home with a paved driveway and next-door neighbors in Summit County off I-70. The contrast between those two mountain life-styles really struck me.

Our teens think our place is 'boring' because it is so remote. They prefer the hustle-bustle of Summit County and all the amenities it offers. While my husband and I prefer the total get-away feeling to our place, and find Summit County distasteful.

Whichever you prefer, I guess it's a good thing both styles are available. I hope they can remain distinct so people can choose between them. Although the old style is quickly being developed, with lots of new growth in Winter Park and Granby.

Don't know if anyone else cares-- just felt like putting my thoughts in writing. If you're choosing between Vail/Copper/Keystone or Winter Park/Steamboat, maybe this will help guide your thinking.

Happy New Year's everyone!

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the neat report, Maureen.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Hi Maureen. We took a drive out past Green Mountain Resevoir last week and I know what you're talking about. The backroads provide a whole different kind of postcard... different, but beautiful. But before everyone writes off Summitt County, we have lots of backroads as well as access to the activities that abound. I live way out a the edge of Keystone and in the summer I can go days without seeing anyone.

Wherever you choose to go in Colorado, don't miss it! It's truly God's country.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
MaureenB

Good point, Grasshopper.

Maybe we should keep the splendor of Colorado under our hats!

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 04:34 PM

Maureen,

Yup, there are two Colorado's. East of the continental divide and west of the divide. Once you get past past "The Resort" areas there is a distinct difference.

BeanMan
Western Colorado
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:08 PM
MaureenB

BeanMan, didn't mean to exclude wonderful western Colorado. My husband worked in Montrose for the Division of Wildlife one summer on the Uncompaghre (sp?) plateau-- and we loved it there.

My analysis regards specifically the ski country near I-70 and Highway 40. Should have been more clear about that.

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:53 AM

Maureen,

No offense taken, I know what you mean about the glitz. I grew up in Fort Collins and watched it change from a nice small town to what it is now. Lived in Steamboat Springs (tourist trap) and Durango (tourist trap) before settling in Palisade. I love living in a a town with no stoplights and where you wave at people regardless of whether you know them or not.

BeanMan
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:29 AM
Ani

BeanMan: I grew up in FC also-then moved away for several years after college and now live here once again with my husband and baby girl! Small world. Did you go to HS here? If so what year did you graduate?
BTW-I actually LOVE the size of FC now...a little less boring than it was in high school
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:15 AM
MaureenB

I know what you mean about that pleasant small town feeling. We went to a movie in Granby last week, where the cinema owner personally comes into the theater before the film, thanks his customers, and invites everyone to return on behalf of his 'two starving college students'. Now that's a personal touch!

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:26 AM

I can appreciate your observations, Marueen. We take a summer vacation each year in the Vail/Beaver Creek area. We usually go with a couple of other families and another family from Denver usually joins us for a few days. We all have teenage children and feel they are happiest when they can stay on the I70 corridor also.

Personally, I'd really love to try the Grand Lake and Granby area one summer. My favorite summer activities are hiking and sitting on the deck in a sweater in August with a morning cup of coffee or an evening glass of wine and just enjoying the view. Maybe in a couple more years we can do adults only to a more remote and laid-back area.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:07 AM
MaureenB

Paige, if you get to Grand Lake in August, you will think you've died and gone to heaven if you sit on the porch of the venerable, old Grand Lake Lodge with your glass of wine and an excellent dinner, looking at the sunset over the incredibly gorgeous Grand Lake.
Ditch the teens and go there!

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 08:29 AM

maureen, from a grandma's perspective. when those children grow up to be cowboys or whatever and leave the boring nest, you and your husband will have paradise all to yourselves. lucky you! then your grandchildren will come and visit and you will have the time of your life.

beanman, i always stop in grand junction on my way to moab and spend a few days. such a nice town. palisade is charming. love the western slope. the people are just and wonderful as the scenery.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:45 AM

Ani,
Colorado State Uni Class of 85
Rocky Mountain High School class of 78
Boltz junior High
Bauder Elementary

How about You?

To be sure there are a lot of things that make a bigger city fun that you won't have in a smaller town. Traffic would be the number one reason not to live in Fort Collins for me.

BeanMan
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:20 AM

The past few years, dh and I have driven teens from our church in New Mexico to a summer camp up near Kremmling. Sadly, the property has been sold, so we won't be making the drive this year. We always enjoy Highway 40 between Dillon and Kremmling.

Last time, instead of driving home through Denver and Colorado Springs, we opted to go through Salida. There's a stretch where you're coming down out of a mountain pass into the valley, and boom! A whole bunch of 14ers just explode out of the valley. It was really spectacular.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
MaureenB

I fear we're giving away some of the secret hiding places in Colorado...
A related thread might be: what are the top three reasons you live where you do?
(We Coloradans will have to edit our much longer list to only the top three reasons.)

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
MaureenB

P.S.
ElendilPickle, are you aware of Snow Mountain Ranch, YMCA of the Rockies near Tabernash, CO, for your teen church group?

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM

Maureen,

My Father was the USFS Snow Ranger for the Berthoud Pass area back when the Forest Service still did that. He used to measure the temperature under the Colorado River bridge in Tabernash in order to get the coldest temperature reported in the USA.

BeanMan
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM

No kidding that CO is God's Country!
I was there in November for business and accidentally booked myself into the wrong hotel. I was in Boulder and working in Englewood. I arrived Sunday morning and headed straight to Nederland and Estes Park for a fun day of shopping and sight-seeing.
Sunday night I discovered my mistake and Monday morning I drove to Englewood, which was a traffic nightmare. They tried to convince me to move south but since I had to go back to get my stuff I figured I would stay the night in Boulder. So, I took a different way back, sort of circling the Denver metropolis on another highway. Almost ran out of gas and somehow ended up in Morrison. I stopped at a cute diner and talked to locals while I had dinner. Loved it there! Could live there! I decided I wanted to make the long commute around Denver each day just so I could soak up some views during my visit!
Just about every place I went I said the same thing... darn, I wish I could live in CO. It's just so beautiful and diverse.
If I were you I would clam up before more people move there!
I'd be happy to trade my new 'planned community' home in rural NE Texas for your 'boring' isolated, peaceful, beautiful place anytime!!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
MaureenB

TxTravelPro, I got a kick out of you saying we should 'clam up'.
Several years ago, there was a semi-popular bumper sticker around Boulder saying "Don't Californicate Colorado", sending the message that Coloradans better close the door, clam up, and be happy we're here-- but not encourage any others to move here! A hedonistic attitude for sure.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Too Late! I think Boulder has already been Kalifornicated.

Farmer of beans

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -