Three Perfect Days On Kauai

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Jamone

Three Perfect Days On Kauai

Borrowing from United Airlines magazine popular storyline, what would three perfect days on Kauai consist of?

We live on Oahu and have been to all of the other neighboring islands many times but this will be our first trip to Kauai. We will be traveling with our third-grade daughter. We will catch an early flight on Day 1, spend two nights at a hotel, and return to Oahu in the late afternoon of Day 3.

From reading prior postings we gather that the Fern Grotto is kind of kitschy, that a boat tour of the Na Pali coast is a must. How do you recommend we organize the three days and where should we stay?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Sarah

First of all as you will soon see there is nothing but perfect days on Kauai, RAIN OR SHINE!

Call ahead and do one of the free walking tours at the North Shore light house. I have not done but I have visited the grounds and they are spectacular.

Waimea Canyon absolute must see as well as Kalalau lookout, find short walking trail that leads you to this. Skip the guard rail lookout that is most likely in your guide book. Can't tell you how to get there but it is a short path not an actual hike.

Don't know any absolute musts that involve commercial activities if that is what you are looking for.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Sarah

lounge at tunnels/haena beach, sunset on Kokee

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Tina Parisi

Lucky you, any time on Kauai is great. We've been going to Kauai for over 25 years and each year we love it more. Your daughter would probably like Fern Grotto, the boat trip and walk thru the rain forrest is fun the first time around. Another good thing would be the luau at Paradise Pacifica (it's right in back of where the Fern Grotto tour leaves) Go while it's still light and tour the gardens and ponds it's really beautiful. Great photo opps. The show after the luau is the best I've seen on all the islands. One of the places we've stayed on occasion and is now called Holiday Inn Sun Spree, it used to be the Kauai Resort. It's only afew minutes from the airport and right on the beach. It's smaller than the Marriott, but very nice. Pick up the booklets at the airport for more things to do. Have fun

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Jamone

Tina, thanks for the tip on the Fern Grotto. We'll try to work it into our plan. There are many places here on Oahu panned by the Fodor "sophisticates" while being greatly enjoyed by most of the traveling public.

SSS, does the Kalalau lookout give you a view of the Waimea Canyon? By guardrail lookout do you mean a pull-off for vehicles on the road to Waimea?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:04 PM
sss

This is a view that also has a veiw of the canyon at another spot

There is a better view availble by stroll and it is not as restricted as this view. Not the best photo here but you will recognize popular image from many Kauai post cards

http://gohawaii.about.com/library/gallery/blgallery87.htm

Jamone what do you think El Nino is going to do to the sunshine in Hawaii this summer. There was an article online today in the Honolulu bulletin said it would bring increased tropical storms and hurricanes. Has the rain been bad? Says this is due to a rise in water temperature and will last until next APRIL!!!

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:06 PM
sss

Kalalau lookout has a parking lot so not one of the pull offs I think you are referring to. But I wanted you to take the trail that is in another spot. Kokee visitor center could probably help you in finding the short path I mention.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:07 PM
weather

Wasn't Iniki during the height of an 2 year El Nino situation?

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
AMG

The most perfect thing we saw in Kauai was the sunset at Polihale State Park which would actually work well when combined with a visit to Waimea Canyon and Waimea Town (Jo Jo's Shave Ice is in Waimea and imho it is the best). You have to drive down a winding dirt road about 3 miles to get to the park but the view is worth it. The beach stretches for 15 sandy miles and you are at the base of the Na Pali coast. You can also hike to the Kalalau lookout on the Kalalau trail from Ke'e Beach - I found the trail challenging but others seemed to think it was less so (I am a wimp about heights). I think the previous poster was referring to the Kilauea Light House - if you go there, stop in at the little candle factory for some beautiful inexpensive gifts made right onsite. We stayed at Princeville and loved it.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Jamone

I heard on KHNL News 8 this morning that more hurricanes were to be expected this summer than the past few years.

This must be based on NWS reports. I don't think any of the stations in Hawaii have real meteorogists doing their weather - there is so little change throughout the year it's a boring job - nearly the same forecast every day (clear in the morning, afternoon showers mauka, trade winds 10-20).

Right now rain would be welcome, winter was somewhat dry.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 02:58 PM
sss

Well let me ask you this Jamone do you have periods where it rains every day for two weeks? I am on the North Shore of Kauai too. Just rained a lot last summer but this we were told was unusual for the time of year and it did clear up most days.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Jamone

My mother visited for a week in January and it rained every day during her visit. A year and a half ago it rained for about two weeks straight. In general, though, during the past five years, I can't recall many episodes of straight rain for a week.

Right now, I know Oahu wants rain to replenish the groundwater. If Oahu is short then Maui must be hurting also.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:07 PM
surf buddy

The surf reports in Hawaii take longer than the weather reports. Surf on bruddah!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:16 AM
mainlander

When is the hurricane season in Hawaii?

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:29 AM
roker

I believe it's around August through October.