Three Days ... S. Fla ... What to Do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of a family visit, I'll be based in Ft Lauderdale with three days open ... a car ... and no idea what to do or see or do. I'd love to experience things unique to the area -- wildlife (especially marine mammals), scenery, great food. Suggestions?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 07:10 AM

it is a tough area because it is sooooo overdeveloped. go west. to the luxahachee state park (i-95 to atlantic avenue (delray) then west to sr 440), also it is not a far or bad drive to go to the keys from where you are. oh, you ABSOLUTELY must go to this restaurant:

Sunfish Grill. Pompano Beach. 1-95 to atlantic blvd (as opposed to avenue) east to just before the drawbridge over the intracoastal, then left into a small strip mall, where you'll find the sunfish grill looking very inconspicuous. take it from a ny'er, THE BEST seafood i've found in florida. Want the best pizza, too? Dean Anthony's in Boynton Beach.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions, Flopmeister ... the restaurants sound perfect -- especially the fish place. Anyone else?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Can't help with wildlife but go see Vizcaya. It's a "palazzo" built by a big industrialist (I think the guy who started John Deere) on the water near Cocoanut Grove. The house itself is like a European Palace & the grounds are amazing. Suggested it to friends who are down there now. They went yesterday & were blown away. Cocoanut Grove is also fun & artsy. Joe's Stone Crab is a famous restaurant on the southernmost tip of Miami. It's a scene & no reservations but the food is great. South Beach is, of course unique to the area. There are good Cuban restaurants in Little Cuba.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:15 AM

John Deering actually founded the International Harvester Company in Chicaggo and built Vizcaya b/c he was couldn't stand the cold of Chicago.

Vizcaya is a must see in the Miami area. Be careful if you go to Little Havana...it's easy to take a wrong turn and be in a bad part of town
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:21 PM

We were there in October and the highlights for me were Fairchild Botanical Garden in Miami and the Everglades. Both are a bit of a drive from Ft. Lauderdale but well worth it. I have been to dozens of gardens in the U.S., France and England, and Fairchild ranks right up there. They have a spectacular collection of palm trees. In the Everglades, we parked and walked at 3 different locations and saw 3 completely different plant communities. I don't think you will be disappointed with either of these places.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for even more wonderful suggestions -- others?