Thoughts on our Palm Springs Plans

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending three weeks in Palm Springs in November. We wanted a warm and relaxing getaway from our rain in Seattle. I've only been to Palm Springs once years ago for a professional meeting, so know little of it and Cheryl has never been there. We debated a long time about where to stay and decided on the Triada Palm Springs, Marriott Autograph Collection. We will be in an individual casita with a kitchen. We wanted to be somewhere we could walk to stores, restaurants, etc. and it appears this fills the bill.

We will rent a car as needed - we expect to visit Joshua Tree, drive into the desert, etc, but plan to spend most of out time relaxing in town.

So I'd be interested in comments on recommended places to visit outside of the city, recommended things to do in the city, etc.

Thanks!
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Having had several friends in PS/Palm Desert over the years and lots of visits, the most interesting place to me, a lover of palm trees, is the canyon that's the home to the indigenous palms, http://www.indian-canyons.com/ also the home & reservation of the Cahuilla people.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, MmePerdu.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Mme. The palm canyons are fascinating. An oasis in the desert. If you can find one, I would suggest an architectural tour of the mid century modern homes or other buildings.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, the architectural tour is on our list!
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 09:51 AM

Oasis: On top of indian canyons, There is also tahquitz (You Will probably meet an indian guide explaining the place) and Coachella preserve (This one is free, except nominal fee to park the car).
Fed up of warm temperatures and desert? Take the aerial tram to mt san jacinto. It drops you in the snow ! (in winter).
Romantic dinner: Go to Le Vallauris, old world charm under the trees.
Sophisticated shopping: Palm desert main Street. And pack food at Bristol Farm before going back to PS.
Outlet : Cabazon (on I10 towards LA)
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info, rouelan. And your restaurant recommendation looks great.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Thursday night street fair tends to muck up downtown PS traffic. But the museum is open free Thursday 4 pm to 9pm

I had to look up that lodging, never heard of it. Would be nice to have a kitchen. More people I know stay at the small inns in PS in the neighborhoods such as Desert HIlls HOtel than in downtown hotlels, you can still walk and not nickel an dime resort fees etc.

Spencer's has a nice patio, great for outdoor dining and brunch. Very popular for Sunday Brunch.

We also like the Living Desert.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

mlgb, We wanted to stay right downtown "Located in the historic Movie Colony district steps from restaurants, shops and the vibrant downtown Palm Springs." And we like historic properties. There are no resort fees where we are staying (or maybe they are waived for us as Cheryl is Platinum).

And thanks for the restaurant recommendation.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:27 AM

That looks like a really nice place, and it's in a terrific location.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that is useful Info, SF7307. It helps to have someone who knows the place confirm that it is a good location!
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 03:48 PM

I ptrefer the neighborhood and small inns to the west of downtown. There are times when N. Palm Springs gives off a slightly sketchy vibe. I don't know this particular one, though. Hopefully it's fine.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will report back.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 04:28 AM

Soaking in hot springs is something you must do at least once. There are several places in the area that you can enjoy a soak for a day fee. Can't remember which one we did, but you can search online for one that looks good.

Also we enjoyed browsing at a place called Estate Sale, a collection of buildings packed with some amazing furniture and decor from the mid-century era.
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 09:04 AM

Joshua Tree is a great park. We spent almost a full day there leaving Palm Springs after breakfast, taking a picnic lunch and returning in time for dinner.

Hidden Valley is a 1 mile loop next to a picnic area, highly recommend this hike. Plenty of climbers while we were and interesting names for some of the rocks! Check it out

Keys view was also good, short loop and we stopped at Skull Rock for photos but didn't take the trail. Cholla cactus garden was just OK.. don't get too close!

Otherwise we just stopped off at various points for photos and saw lots of hummingbirds on the flowers (trip was in spring).
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

We do plan on soaking in hot springs, and have looked at several online. If anyone has a favorite, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for your comments on Joshua Tree, sassy_cat. How wonderful to be there with the hummingbirds!
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 01:05 PM

If you like to hike, Whitewater Canyon Preserve is really nice and also good birdwatching. Check hte website for closures

http://www.wildlandsconservancy.org/...hitewater.html

Anohter place not too far away that is a bit different is Big Morongo, lots of boardwalk through Cottonwoods and some fun bird feeders for those who like to do their birdwatching from a chair.

http://www.bigmorongo.org/
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mlgb especially for the for the Big Morongo recommendation. How long would the drive be from Palm Springs? And how far is Whitewater Canyon from Palm Springs?
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 07:38 PM

To either one its about half an hour or less if you can get out of PS without hitting traffic.. Big Morongo is about 20 milesUse the map link on their website. Google Maps shows a back road but we go via State Hwy 62. Using the turnoff on East or Vale Drive. YOu can do it coming back from Joshua Tree.

YOu could also combine Whitewater and Big MOrongo also.

If you use Google maps use Whitewater Trout or Whitewater Preserve and the routes are correct. It's a pretty place with the old trout ponds, a friendly visitor center and picnic area...very popular on weekends. Even if you don't hike it's worth the drive into the canyon.

As far as the tram be aware that even the parking lot is at high elevation as far as being a good workout walking uphill. The restaurants at the top aren't great but there's a bar. You mayneed winter clothing up there.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. I think we would want to combine Whitewater and Big Morongo. And the google maps tip is welcome as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -