help with Golden Gate Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read lots of info on Golden Gate Park, but for some reason I'm still having a hard time figuring it out. Is it best to drive through it? Do you walk the whole thing? Where do you park?

I printed a map of it, but call me crazy... I'm still intimidated by it!

We'll be there on a Saturday afternoon, a week from today actually! We'll have a car and will have spent the morning at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market, perhaps drive up to the Twin Peaks, then over to GG Park. After that, we plan to drive along the coast towards the GG Bridge.

Thanks in advance for any specifics you can give!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM

It all depends on what you want to do. If you just want to see a few things you can drive, but you could also spend a whole day, even a whole weekend there. I would pick which parts of the park you are most interested in (e.g. Japanese Tea Garden, Museums, Botanical Garden). There is some parking, which will be tight on a Saturday. If you are in a hurry, you could drive through (prob with some stops) after twin peaks, then head up to the bridge after that. You could drive down Kennedy Dr. to the ocean and then head over to the GG. You will get a sense by driving through but it's hard to get a full feel as there are many nooks and crannies to the park.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

We really have no idea how much time we're going to have by the time we get there, so we'll have to play that by ear, but we are hoping for at least a couple of hours. Definitely want to get pictures of the Conservatory (outside) and go inside the Japenese Tea Garden, but not any of the museums.

Are there any gardens that don't have fees?

Is there street parking along Kennedy or Martin Luther, or are there parking lots inside the park? Street parking or lots outside the park?

THANKS!!!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:05 PM

There has been talk of closing the park on Sat east of Crossover Blvd - like it is on Sunday.. If it is not closed, you won't have trouble parking in the park - except very close to the de Young.

Rose garden is free - but it is past Rose season. Lots of flowers in front of the conservatory.

Stu Dudley
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the parking info! Did you hear my deep sigh of relief 2000 miles away? But now I'm uptight they might close it next Saturday! If you wouldn't mind posting any updates about that, I'd sure appreciate it!

I hopped on Google Earth and studied it a bit more. Looks like the best stuff is east of Crossover Blvd?
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM

sharie, all kinds of local stuff on sfgate.com. If they close Golden Gate Park next Saturday, you can be sure it'll be reported there.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

GREAT idea! Just bookmarked the site and will read it every day to see what's going on in SF before our arrival! Thanks!!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM

The park is ~50 blocks long - sure you need a car! Some roads are closed every weekend for in-line skaters, bikers.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 08:06 AM

I'm going to San Fran on Sept. 12th, walking the Golden Gate Bridge is one thing I have planned to do. I'll be taking a bus from my hotel in Fisherman's Wharf, walking the Bridge is the best way to go. There is a gift shop ans snack bar on the other side. It's only 1.7 miles long, then you can take pictures on your way across. Have fun, I know I will.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

50 blocks?! We won't be walking that if we have the option to drive! I need to save my legs for downtown SF!

jetcitywoman, we'll wave to you on the bridge as we drive by on the 12th! But who knows, maybe we'll walk it too! Only problem for us is if we walk across, we have to walk back to our car. Not much time for that.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM

sharie, I've lived here for 36 years and I have yet to walk across the GGB!! Trust me, the views are just as beautiful if you're driving (just did that today, albeit in a convertible)
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

2 1/2 years ago we walked to the first tower from the south side of the bridge and it was thrilling, but very, very windy! My long hair was everywhere!
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM

For the record, I HAVE walked across the Brooklyn Bridge - typical, I know.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Well, the park ended up being closed to vehicles Saturday the 12th after all! There was some sort of Woodstock-type festival going on and it was PACKED. We left at Crossover and came back the next Thursday morning, which was a beautiful day, but we were in a rush to get to Baker Beach (which ended up getting fogged in BOTH times we tried to go!). We were going to go to the Japenese Tea Garden, but by the end of the trip we were running out of cash and that was all they took!

The homeless there were quite amusing. One was in a stall when my husband went in one of the bathrooms, and he was playing the guitar and singing at the top of his lungs while he was "on the crapper" as my dh said! another one was washing his hair at the same time.

Beautiful park, though. Loved the windmill and the flower garden by it especially!