Thoughts about America

Search

Thoughts about America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts about America

I've hesitated to post this because I don't know how it will be received, or indeed how appropriate it is on a travel message board, but wanted to do it anyway because the experiences were enlightening for me. Today, after hearing about the foiled plot to blow up America-bound airliners, I decided that today's the day. I'd thought about posting on the Europe board but decided that the U.S. board was a more appropriate forum. I have heard so much about how unpopular America is all over the world, and I can certainly see why. But these experiences caused me to think twice...

On July 1, I was waiting on the train platform as I was leaving Schwäbisch Hall, Germany, after studying German there for a month, when Aydin, one of my classmates, a young (21 or 22 year old) Turkish university student, came to sit by me and began, rather shyly, asking me about the States.

He wanted to know what America was like and if the people were happy. (???) He asked how much money the average person made and how big the houses were. I found it very hard to answer his questions, of course, but I tried to give him an idea of salaries of middle-class people and middle-class homes. I also assured him that it wasn't like in the movies.

He then asked me what it was about New York that made it so special. Once again, I couldn't answer definitively, though I stumbled around trying to give him my impressions. He obviously was interested in what it would be like for him to live in the United States.

Later, on the train, he was standing a little way away from me, and I happened to ask him if he spoke English. (We'd been speaking German.) A young man--perhaps 19 or 20--who'd been sitting across the aisle heard me and began eagerly talking to me in English but with a strong German accent. He said his father was an American soldier who'd married a German girl and then stayed in Germany, but that they'd visited relatives in Missouri several times when he was younger.

His face absolutely glowed as he talked about how nice the people were and how much he like it there. He said that after he finished his apprenticeship in carpentry, he wanted to go live in the States, in Missouri. Despite the German accent, he is of course American.

These two young men reminded me of a third, Francisco, a Brazilian who sometimes ate lunch at my table at the Goethe Institute. He'd lived in Virginia Beach, Virginia, a couple of years ago when his father was working there. He loved it there, and when he finishes his education, he too hopes to live in the United States, in this case, in Virginia Beach.

I was really touched by these stories. It seemed to me that despite the unpopularity of our government, the country of America is still as much the land of dream as it was when my grandparents immigrated--two of them from Ireland and two from Denmark--more than 100 years ago.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM

In many ways America is still the land of dreams, Peg. Many wonderful people, cities, opportunities. Lots of good here.....and unfortunately, lots that is not so good and never was. We could use some true "Statesmen", leaders with broad vision for our country and the world....etc....and on and on.....
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM

A very touching story, Peg. Thanks for posting!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Aahh, Peg , just what I needed to hear
Since last night when we first heard the British news, I have felt this sadness, that is just lying on me..like a heavy wet blanket .. All day I have been remembering the days after September 11th, when all we heard was sirens and nothing was normal nor would it ever really be the same again. Everyone was shocked and sad.
It is difficult to think that there are so many people who hate us and want to kill us. So your message came at a perfect time for me, thank you ~
Scarlett
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM

Having some family who just went through Hurricane Katrina, I can tell you that there are MANY, MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY! My loved ones there are still talking about how kind and helpful the volunteers from all over this country have been. It's the people that make the nation great - politicians come and go.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Lovely, Peg.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM

If there's one thing I've learned from travelling, it's that there all are kinds of people EVERYWHERE. Although I'm admittedly a Europe addict, I love America too, and wouldn't want to live anyplace other than I live (in Seattle). I believe that we are all one people and pray that love will prevail over hate. I think stories like yours illustrate this. Thank you for sharing it.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Yes, Peg, thank you. I told my little story - for whatever it's worth - and neglected to thank you. Sorry.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Peg,
I think your post is appropraite.... for travel enlightens us all, no matter what our etnicity, culture, heritage, country.

Just yesterday I saw the previews for the new 9/11 movie. I don't know if I can see that one..

did watch the recent TV movie about the downed 9/11 airplane. It struck me how strangers on one plane who normally would not even glance at one another (we americans do like our space) made such great strides forward together to save others and our country from an even greater tragedy.

Travel buy plane is a uniting experience for us all now just as travel by train is a uniting experience for those in London and otehr places...
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Kal

Peg... =D> =D> =D> =D>
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Ah Pegon, such a touching thread as others here have indicated.

I have known people around the world, and most have wanted to be able to come to the US. Is the US perfect, no of course not. But I certainly feel blessed to be a citizen of the United States. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:47 PM

An important message, Peg. Thank you for posting!

It's also important to remember that, of course, there are good people in every country, even those with whom we (or our allies) are at "war" (actively or not), i.e., North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Lebanon... There are lots of of rude, ignorant people out there that lump all of the citizens in a country with which the US has conflict into a categorization they don't belong. This isn't directed at anyone who's posted above. It just makes me sad anytime I think about the innocent citizens of such countries who are victims of prejudice from abroad and injustice and war in their homelands.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

As I've thought more about these young men, it's occurred to me that they all represent different ethnicities and they all seem to want something a little different. Aydin seemed to be interested in lifestyle and whether Americans were "all happy"--kind of an odd question.

The American boy with the German accent was enthralled with the people--probably small-town people--because they were so "nice," and Francisco seemed to be enchanted with a specific place--Virginia Beach.

The experience of the Goethe Institute was wonderful in that there were people of all ages, all religions (and presumably non-religions) and from countries all over the world, and there were no barriers of nationality, language, etc., because we were all speaking (to a greater or lesser degree) a foreign language.

Too bad there aren't more situations where people from different backgrounds could meet and become friends on neutral ground.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Yay, Peg!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM

It's not Americans European dislike or America..but our policies and our government.. they don't understand... and right now neither do I.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM

Can't we agree on anything anymore without making it political, ParrotMom?

Thanks for your heart, Peg. As a former student at Goethe Institute myself, I was trying to think of an appropriate response. But all I've got is to echo Kal; =D> =D> =D> =D>

Und, vielen Dank!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:02 PM

Just what I needed to hear too, Peg.

Thanks

The idea of Flight 93 (the movie) makes me sick....
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:08 PM
JJ5

YES!

My Dad came to America from Germany at 12, he's 87 now and I'm first generation. We love America.

And I've been back and will be again to Idar-Oberstein.

Sehr gut, danke!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 08:32 PM

A lot of the reason we Aussies love to travel in the USA is the politeness of the people, and the pleasant experiences we have had "on the road" there. Going back again very soon, and looking forward to it.

On a trip a few years ago in Iran, we were besieged by young men and boys, wanting to know all about Australia, in much the same way as the German boys, even what we ate. In this case, it was a shame our governments labelled them all "axis of evil" and didn't give the fledgling democracy movement a chance. Now look what we have!

That said, we love America and Europe, Asia and Africa, and don't find that the Americans travelling abroad are disliked.
Give our kids a chance to mix when they are young, get Americans to travel more, not less, and the world will be a better place.I have heard that only a very small percentage of Americans have a passport.

Viel Spass, zusammen! (That's "have fun", sort of.)
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:17 PM

"I have heard so much about how unpopular America is all over the world, and I can certainly see why."

What did you infer from OP beachbum? I think ParrotMom understood perfectly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -