Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Thought on family spring break to Florida?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 06:55 PM
dad

I need some help planning a family spring break trip to Florida. We are considering Destin or Fort Walton FL. I have never been to this area. Will it be warm enough in Mid March to play on the beach/bag a few rays?
We have no interest in the Disney thing-but would welcome ideas on other Florida destinations. Kids are 7 to 11 year olds. Would be nice to rent home/condo or hotel with kitchette. Thanks Dad

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 05:04 AM
CMcDaniel

You can play on the beach mid March, but you might be in sweatshirts and the water won't be fit for swimming unless you're from coastal Maine!

Try looking further south: Clearwater/St. Pete, Sarasota, Sanibel/Captiva. By March the weather is usually pretty nice in all these areas, but the water will be best around Sanibel. We live near Clearwater/St. Pete and don't go in before April. There are people swimming, and some swim all winter, but the water isn't quite warm enough for us.

There are a number of places around Sanibel that have kitchenettes. We've stayed at Casa Ybel in a unit on the beach with kitchenette, two queen beds in master and fold out couch in living room. Really nice. Have no idea what price would be mid March...highest of high season. gt; We were there in the summer.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 02:18 PM
J.M.

Dear Dad,

I assume you know that Destin /Ft Walton are two of the most popular spots for college students on Spring Break? We're talking lots of flesh, lots of making out and LOTS of drinking (and the accompanying vomit)! Plus, there's likely to be at least one concert or two on the beach with extremely loud music...not exactly what I would call a great place for a 'family" vacation, especially for parents with 7-11 yr old kids.

Now, if your kids' Spring Break does NOT coincide with that of the many colleges around the country, then you should be ok. But check, just to make sure!

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 02:26 PM
J.M.

Forgot to add the wet t-shirt contests and largest "bosom" (to be polite) contests, among others.

My Dad thought Destin would be a great spot to take me and my sister for Spring Break one year...boy, was he sorry he did!!!

In light of all this sexual activity and conspicuous (read excessive) consumption of alcohol, it's probably best if you take your kids somewhere else.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 10th, 2000, 04:36 PM
Kathy

I don't know what kind of beach vacations you enjoy. Our family enjoys being away from the crownds with quiet beaches. We spent spring break at North Captiva Island about four years ago and it was wonderful. It is a small island north of Captiva. No cars are allowed. They arrange for a car to pick you up at either the airport or hotel (if you arrive the night before), take you to the grocery store (no stores on the island except for a small supply of staples), and ferry you to the island. Transportation on the island is by foot, bicycle, or golf cart. Rental homes range from luxury to basic,sometimes a little run down. The beach is great(we almost had it to ourselves) and so is the shelling. There is a pool at the club with some kids activities, and there are a few restaurants. We loved it and our children (who were about 8-17 at the time would love to return). My youngest daughter and I took a boat taxi to Captiva one day, and she was ready to go back after an hour. "Too many people and cars, Mom." You can type North Captiva Island Resort into a search engine and see their website. If you like busier places, with more shopping, activities, etc., then Sanibel or Captiva are a good bet. Many of our friends love both places. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 03:50 AM
Larry

Don't rule out the Florida Keys. If you don't need surf and wide beaches that are miles long, the Keys will provide plenty of fun in the water for your family. And yes there is a spring break in the Keys but it has mainly been down in Key West, most of they Keys do not have a real big spring break crowd

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 09:11 AM
ann

Try florida vacation accomadations web site. We stayed in Marco Island last spring break our kids loved it. Lots of different rentals available in Naples/marcoisland. We rented a 3 bedroom home with a pool. We are going back again this spring break!
good luck