Reload this Page >

Thoroughbred Racetracks

Search

Thoroughbred Racetracks

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 12:34 PM
Joe

Thoroughbred Racetracks

I love traveling to Thoroughbred Racetracks. Some of the greatest tracks I have been to are Keeneland, Santa Anita and my personal favorite Fort Erie (the latter for the scenery not the horse racing). I am planning an early Spring trip and I am interested in what other tracks offer atmosphere along with horse racing?

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 01:24 PM
sandra

Belmont Park runs from May 10th to July 23rd. It has picnic areas, and plenty of wide open spaces to roam around. Weekends make it a family destination for those trying to beat the heat of NYC summers. for more specific info visit the New York Racing Association web site at www.nyra.com

Rockingham Park in southern New Hampshire offers old fahion atmosphere in the summertime june/sept. go to www.visitnh.gov for regional information.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Max

Hi Joe!
I love Keeneland also. What about Saratoga in New York? I have heard good things about it.

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 11:12 AM
Owen O'Neill

Saratoga Springs NY is minutes north of Albany and home to SPAC (summer home of Phil Orchestra, NYC ballet and many other cultural events) as well as the racetrack where the country's oldest stakes race is held every August (The Travers). It's a quaint town almost at ther edge of the Adirondacks, filed with enormous trees, beautiful old buildings and many restored Victorian homes. There's an abundance of good restaurants and a surprising amount of nightlife for such a small town but the racing season is only 5 weeks in length, startiung towrds the end of July and terminating around the end of August or early September. There is a separate harness racing track which remains open year round but I find that form of horse racing to be profoundly sleep inducing. The area was a spa and vacation destination for the upper crust of the Northeast in the late 1800's and there are still several spas at which one can take the remarkably relaxing mineral baths (HIGHLY recommended by yours truly). If you choose to go, it's best to reserve now and expect to pay top $$ for lodging, in addition to a 2 or 3 night minimum. For quaint and historical, try the Hotel Adelphi (but it lacks many modern amenities in the rooms). Nearby, also in the center of the village and much cheaper (but quite pedestrian) is the Rip Van Dam. A bit further out (max 5 minute drive or 15 minute walk) is the Turf and Spa, an excellent independent motel. I can also recommend the Seven Sisters (or Six Sisters - not sure which) B & B, which is directly across from the track. be sure to try the wood fired pizza at Bruno's and the amazing Southern cuisine at Hattie's. Saratoga is a unique and thoroughly enjoyable destination - well worth scheduling a trip around that time of year and checking it out.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:26 AM
Christie

Yes, Saratoga is a lovely track!!

Another one to consider is Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, Arkansas. In addition to Oaklawn being the home track of Pat Day, and the site of the Arkansas Derby, it is also a very neat resort town! The Hot Springs bathhouses have long been popular for their medicinal qualities, and they are truly worth a visit. Downtown Hot Springs also has lots of quaint shops to browse, and Lake Catherine is a popular fishing and boating destination. You can fly into Little Rock and drive- it's about 2 hours away. Have fun!!