Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

This airline security thing is getting ridiculous!

Notices

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any nut job could cancel a flight these days!

The one thing that would top that story is a post somewhere on Fodors by one of the passengers asking if they are entitled to some compensation?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/03/....ap/index.html
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:42 PM

AA's post referred to a flight that was cancelled because a psychic (not on the plane) had a premonition that something was wrong with the flight. Of course this happened in Florida, where we are already trying to recover from our national image as a bunch of kooks.

If I was on that flight I would be extremely miffed.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:46 PM
GoTravel

Better safe than sorry......

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM

But, it is approximately the equivalent of an actual bomb threat. And it was unusual. Suppose you are the TSA guy and you get the call:

psychic/psycho: Mr TSA, I am a psychic and I see a vision of a bomb on Sky High airlines flight ijk at TPA today.

Mr TSA: Are you saying that you put a bomb on SH ijk today?

psychic/psycho: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, I am saying that I see a VISION of a bomb that MIGHT be on that flight that might have been put on that plane by somebody, not me.

Or, some such nonsense. What are you gonna do?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl,

If that was the case, how come there are no arrests reported. If TSA believed that the caller was the person that planted the bomb or knew who did, why not arrest her/him now? I maybe be wrong (not the first time ), but it seems to me that TSA actually believed the "psychic" part, and went along with the "psycho".
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM

There's nothing in that blurb at CNN that suggests that Mr TSA actually believed the guy was a psychic.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Let us then be totally safe and shut down ALL flights. If nothing flies, the terrorist organizations cannot blow any of them up while airborne. And we will all live happily ever after.

Let us all remember that the big boss is running scared for office. One blow up and he looks like *&*^&^&*^
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl,

That's is true, but there is also NOTHING about any further investigation into the matter, or any pending arrests.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:29 PM

Shutting down all flights wouldn't help either. They'd just find some other way to terrorize. Might be better if we try to understand and negotiate with people before invading their country.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Yeah, ok. But what would you do?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Your certain this didn't happen
here in Northern CA?!
Sounds so Marin to me!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I agree with you, IF this was an actual bomb threat. The problem I have with this story is that some psycho calls in and a flight gets cancelled because s/he has a vision. I actually believe they went along with the vision story. That's sad!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Most of the statements above don't apply to the case in question. If you read the article you'll see that they merely searched the plane, but by the time they were finished, several crew members had worked beyond their "allowed" time to make a flight, so they had to cancel the flight. They didn't really cancel it because they believed the caller, but I hope none of you are suggesting that if the plane I was about to get on had received a warning there might be a bomb on it, that the officials should just ignore the call and go ahead and fly without so much as a special search. At least I HOPE you aren't suggesting that!
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm suggesting it, Patrick. I'm sorry that maybe you want to pretend that we are all safe because of this ridiculous security that's going on.
This case is a perfect example of stupidity, of quantity over quality. TSA bought the vision story from some idiot and they went along with it. If that makes you feel safer, then I feel sorry for you.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM

OK, so let me get this straight. The airline gets a call from someone saying they believe a bomb is on flight # 879, and you're saying they should ignore the call, pretend it never happened and go ahead with the flight without any extra search?? Wow. I'm stunned.
Do you also believe that when a school gets a bomb threat they should ignore it and pretend it never happened in the hopes it was a false alarm?

No, I don't believe we're all perfectly safe because of the security going on, but I still would prefer that when an airline gets a warning about a specific plane or flight, they wouldn't just ignore it!! I would bet you are in the minority here, but I could be wrong.

How many here would prefer that if the airline got such a warning, they wouldn't do anything about it, and let you board your flight and go as if they never heard a word, even if it was from someone claiming to be a psychic or saying they had a dream about it?
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM
GoTravel

AA, let's roll back the clock a little. Say you are the person receiving the call from the physic.

How could you, with certainty, knowing 150 lives were in your hands, blow off this call?

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:17 PM
GoTravel

Aaaaahhh! Pyschic not physic.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:26 PM
uuhhhh

you sure about that, GoTravel?... how about psychic..

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM
GoTravel

Crap! I can't spell worth squat.

Announcement: Please pardon all future spelling and grammar mistakes I am sure to make.

Old Mar 27th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

I think you guys missed my point. If it was a bomb threat, YES, CANCEL EVERYTHING, and investigate the caller regardless if there was a bomb or not!!!. This is something completely different. A psychic contacts TSA and tells them s/he has a vision that there maybe be a bomb on a specific flight. TSA knows the identity of the caller. They decide to search the plane, thus delaying it, thus the cancellation because of the search and crew having to work beyond legal time, on a some idiot's word that s/he had a VISION. Why isn't there a report of an arrest of the idiot? unless TSA believed in the idiot's psychic power, which is very scary! If you or I called in a bomb threat, you could bet there will be federal and local law enforcement agencies knocking on our doors. This wasn't the case. They ACTUALLY bought the idiot's prediction as if it was one of their own agents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO