Reload this Page >

Thinking about moving to Delaware

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Giggs

I am thinking of moving from North Pole, Alaska to the state of Delaware. Are there very many advantages to this move. I have never been to Delaware.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:12 AM
M.

Dela-where?
Obviously, it's warmer. Hard to respond - I've never been to Alaska.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 11:33 AM
M.

bj,IMHO travel and relocation possibilities are not really seperate topics, if you think about it, but even if this isn't so, your comment was unforgivingly rude.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 12:11 PM
xxx

Why would you suddenly decide to pick up your life and move to Delaware if you've never even been there?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Sal

Delaware is very favorable tax wise if you're going to retire (also no sales tax). Crime is HIGH though. Why did you pick Delaware?

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Ed

Far fewer iceburgs in Delaware, but takes Xmas letters to Santa much longer to be delivered. You face some tough choices.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:12 AM
xxxx

One word.....DON'T.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:33 AM
RX

I'm from Delaware, so take my response for what it is. Geographically, Delaware has great placement within the northeast -- you are within 3 hours or less of New York, Philly, Baltimore and Washington DC. Delaware is a great place to raise a family. Crime was never a factor in my 18 years living there.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Roger

Delaware is two states. There is Wilmington, which is one big slum. It is really Philly extended. The rest of Delaware is more like Maryland's rural eastern shore with its farms, chicken coops and ckicken-chopping plants. Hunting and fishing and boating is popular. Rehoboth Beach is a beach for the rich; Dewey is for the homos. If you're a practicing Catholic, one of the worst Catholic dioceses in the country is the Wilmington diocese. My family and I have to motor to northern Virginia for a decent, true Mass.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:57 PM
STOP

There's a little-known Delaware state ordinance you need to know about: Delaware allows NO trolls within its borders. Especially those from North Pole, Alaska -- which is where all trolls are born.

Stay home -- stay away.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:17 PM
mags

Roger - if you'd ever been to Philly, you would see it is not a slum. It has its bad parts, AS DOES EVERY BIG CITY, but there are plenty of nice places as well. You can't sum up a place because of what I'm guessing was a limited experience on your part.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Roger

I've been to Philly a few times. It is a big slum. You can drive north-south in West Philly and go six or seven miles gazing at the awesome sight of urban wasteland. For about two blocks around Temple University it's OK but then gets bad again. The south Philly suburb of Chester is another very ugly slum. By the way, Philly's mayor is the black racist John Street, most famous for declaring recently to a black audience that "It's our turn" to run the city. Philly's schools are a disgrace; they are mostly holding pens for Philly's youth.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Judi

I can't believe these responses. Where and I really wonder why do these ugly responses appear here? It doesn't matter if you're a troll (there's been some fun threads with trolls).
I've been told that Alaska is simply beautiful and very expensive. Well Delaware, for the most part, is very rural and low keyed. Taxes are very low because DuPont is headquartered in Delaware. There is much water around the state and it has the opportunity of offering a great place to life. Hope you do some research.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:38 AM
JB

The responses are nasty because no one believes there is a place called "North Pole, Alaska," --- there is, it's outside Fairbanks -- nor that anyone would be posting from there, so they assume this is a troll. Moreover, jb has made it a career of trashing anyone who posts anything about relocation because he has this idea it has nothing to do with travel. (See his contributions to the NJ question.) This could even be a troll post from him to bring out as many people to flame "relo" posting as possible.

Re: is it a troll? Could be, because the question is so random and general.

Re: Relo posts: They're valid here, because one has to TRAVEL to scope out new areas, because people with TRAVEL experience in the destination may have something to offer, and because people who might TRAVEL to the destination might also be interested in the responses if they are informative (instead of gratuitous bj-bs).

Reelaware: The area around Wilmington includes some very lovely places (Brandywine Valley, etc.) with streams, field-stone houses, hills, etc. South of Wilmington, it is classic mid-atlantic flatlands with a fair amount of farming until you find yourself along the shore. There are many pretty seaside communities. The north part of the state is becoming more congested because of favorable tax laws for corporations and because it's on the I-95 corridor between WashDC and NYC.

Re:Giggs' question -- I can't imagine what has inspired you to think of leaving Alaska to go to this one particular state. It's either a job, a woman, or a troll.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:39 AM
dreamer

This is a perfect example of the mysteries of the Fodor's censor. Why is this post still alive?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:19 AM
x

Are you wanting to incoporate?

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:46 AM
xxx

Gee, I don't know. How does one "incoporate?" (Sounds painful)

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Delaware

Delaware is most famous for the thi g it does best. Most US companies are incorporated in Delaware becasue of tax and legal issues. They have some huge breaks.

I read soemwhere that Delaware has more industries/companies than any other state.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:54 AM
What did Della...?

One can incorporate in a state without having a big building there. If all the corporations listed as having incorporated in Delaware had all their headquarters and allied facilities located there, there wouldn't be enough room for the Christiana mall.

It's like cruise ships registered to Liberia -- they never go there, I assure you.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Paul

Giggs,
I've lived in North Pole and in Dover, Delaware. It was not too bad actually. Dover is in what is considered to be "lower Delaware", south of the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. You can be in Philly, Baltimore or DC within 1-11/2 hours. Or you can be at the beach in 45 minutes. Good luck.
Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -