Reload this Page >

things to see in Tennessee, Georgia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:29 PM
Ann

In a couple of weeks we (2 adults, 4 kids) will be travelling north from Florida to Ohio, then back again. Any suggestions for good things to see/places to stay on the way?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:33 PM
Barbara

In Tennessee you can stop by the Gore museum where Al invented the internet. Other than that it's known as flyover country for a reason.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:17 PM
Sara

The mountains are very beautiful. We stopped at Ruby Falls in Lookout Mtn above Chattanooga. It's a waterfall in a cave inside a mountain. Pretty neat if you like caves. They were open late so we were driving down the mtn after dark. We had a great view of the lights in Chattanooga from the mtntop.

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:23 AM
tcapp

Both near Chatanooga, Tennessee and Marietta, Georgia, you can visit wonderful Civil War battlefields. In and near Atlanta, you can go to World of Coke and the amusement park Six Flags.(This is Six Flags off-season, so I believe they are only opened weekends. You may want to call first.)

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:46 AM
Paul

Hi Ann,

When I travel the I-75, I always make it a point to stop at the Cumberland Inn in Willaimsburg, KY. It is near the Cumberland Falls State Park. The Park is an interesting side trip as well, and about 20 minutes from the hotel.

The Cumberland Inn is owned by the Marriott Corp., and is part of Cumberland Univeristy. The students are in programs through the school to work in the hotel. The result is a VERY clean room, excellent restaurant, nice jogging track across the street on university grounds, very nice indoor pool, and reasonable rates. There is usually a coupon in those books you can pick up at the KY welcome center for a discount on rates. I also recommend a reservation. Note that this is a dry county, so if you enjoy a drink after a long drive, you need to bring it with you. I have not found much to do in the town, even though it is a college town. There is a McDonald's right next door to the hotel, along with a pizza place, etc. The hotel is very nice - you won't be dissapointed.

Here is their website:
http://www2.cumberlandcollege.edu/inn/default.htm

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 06:17 AM
RB

1. If you're going through Chattanooga, visit the aquarium: www.tnaqua.org.
2. A place to take in some Civil War history and a beautiful view of the area is Point Park in Chattanooga, part of the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park: http://www.nps.gov/chch/index.htm
3. As you near Atlanta on I-75, another site to take in some Civil War history, get a view of the area, and a break from the wheel before you tackle ATL traffic is Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park:
http://www.nps.gov/kemo/
4. Stone Mountain Park below Atlanta, while a commercial venture, has a nice mix of child/adult things to enjoy:
www.stonemountainpark.com
5. If you want to stop in Atlanta, there are several attractions, including a good zoo, botanical garden, and the High Museum. Links for these should be available on www.accessatlanta.com. Also for a sense of history, visit the MLK Jr. National Historic Site: http://www.nps.gov/malu/
My recommendation for day tripping around town is to park your car at a MARTA lot and ride the train around town; the MARTA site gives the train stops for different attractions (zoo isn't easily accesible by train; best bets are the High and MLK site)- look at www.itsmarta.com

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Ann

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.