Things to do in and around Kansas

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to do in and around Kansas

Hi everybody I'm still planning my craze 1year studying abroad trip and am now looking at Kansas. So if I where to go there what are some of the fun cool things that I could do over weekends of holidays?
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 06:08 AM

Where in Kansas? A year in Kansas is a looong time.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Depending on where you are in Kansas, you may be fairly close to the eastern range of Colorado. Lots to do there.

Southwestern Missouri is a nice area of mountains (not as tall as the Rockies) but a pretty area with a lot of outdoor recreation if you like that.

The arch in St. Louis is a fun visit.

I'm sorry but I just can't come up with something for Kansas. I'm sure people who live there will have some ideas.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:01 AM

I'm originally from there. Where will you be living?
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:23 AM

I'm confused, are you traveling to Kansas for your studies? And if so, then what school. That will help a lot.

If you have a choice, KU in Lawrence, KS, is probably the best location. Lawrence has a great vibe. KU has a beautiful campus, and Kansas City with its bigger city amenities is only 45 minutes down the road.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

I'll be going to Johnson County community college, because their culinary programs are very highly rated and really good. It's a one year programs that I might attend. And I was thinking that while I'm there I'd like to explore during weekends and holidays... Does this help?
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM

I do not know what your politics are nor if it matters to you, but here is an article about Kansas from Friday's NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/14/us...=politics&_r=0
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:28 PM

Johnson County Community College is actually in Kansas City which I think is a very beautiful city. There are some nice parks, lakes, The Country Club Plaza is great for high end dining and shopping - and people watching, if you can't afford the high end scene. Lots of wonderful restaurants in KC-

There is football, baseball- KC has a great jazz history so some good jazz clubs.
There is Lake of the Ozarks but you will need a car to get there.
You can easily take the train to St Louis.
I think there is more to do on the Missouri side than the Kansas side- Southeast Mo is very beautiful but again, you will need a car to get there. Will you have a car?

If you like biking there is the Cadi Trail - not sure where it starts for sure- maybe Columbia
There should be enough to keep you busy for a year
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:53 PM

oops! Spelled the bike trail incorrectly- its the Katy Trail

http://www.bikekatytrail.com
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 05:57 AM

You'll be in suburban Kansas City, and not really a campus situation with traditional dorms or the like. The suburb is an excellent place to live, particularly for families, but many of the KC attractions are a half hour away by car.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 07:15 AM

I got ripped on for posting that Kansas is a big nothing in a response to your other postings. The exception would be Kansas City. It is a very nice metro area on the Missouri river which brings green areas, trees and recreational opportunities. But for the most part Kansas City is relatively isolated in that it is a long distance from there to other interesting places. You opportunity for weekend travel would be very limited without access to a car since the US does not have much of an intercity transportation network. On longer holidays you would have a better opportunity for travel but it probably needs to be via air.

Good luck.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:16 AM

http://www.kansastravel.org has lots of interesting things to do across Kansas, from waterfalls, to museums & zoos to grassroots art environments.

Lawrence, where the Univerity of Kansas is, has a lot of fun, exciting events year around and is close to Kansas City if you want an occasional dose of city.

Manhattan, where Kansas State University is, is a bit closer to the center of the state and would make it earsier to see more of Kansaas during the weekends.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Keith, her college choice is in a suburb of Kansas City.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Thank you, fmpden, I missed that. Thought is was a comment from another person.

I've taken several classes at JCCC. It is almost all part time, but in terms of total enrollment, it is the 3rd largest college in the state.