Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

There's never been a better time to go to Hawaii!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 10:17 AM
islandgirl

For those of you who really need a vacation, but can't bring yourselves to leave the country, you will find great prices, no crowds, and people who are genuinely happy to see you. Please come see our lovely islands.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:14 PM
carla

I just go back and have to agree. We stayed at the Diamond Head Beach Hotel, at the quite end of Waikiki, near the New Otani and the W hotels. Amazing deals there right now. We paid $69/night for a one bedroom with kitchen! No crowds too.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Melissa

One of my bosses went to a restaurant in Waikiki the other night and was greeted by the hostess, the chef, and the manager. He had the most personalized experience of his life! They even walked him to his car after dinner.

The only "down" side to this is, now his wife wants to eat out, in Waikiki, EVERY night. hahaha

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 08:43 AM
russ

Why do people keep replying to the "Don't go to Hawaii" thread, only to say that Amanda is a troll? Why not let it die a quick death and add to a positive thread like this one instead?

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 09:03 AM
xxx

"Can't bring yourselves to leave the country?" People who fall into that category will most likely NOT want to board a plane and leave the continental U.S.

Nothing has changed with the airlines since the Sep 11th tragedy, except that there are now far fewer airline personnel, and the executive bonuses will be financed with taxpayer money this year. They may have capped "salaries" but nothing was mentioned about capping "incentives." Those execs will cook their books and rewrite their objectives to ensure that they all get incentives this year, because it may be their last for a while.

Face it the airlines still have the same minimum wage "security" screeners, no air marshals on board, same flimsy cockpits. National Guards? ID checks? How would any of this have prevented any of those suicide hijackers from boarding the planes? People are not flying because the airlines, as usual, are choosing profits over everything else, including safety. And our flag waving government is only too anxious to side with them and promote air travel while nothing new is in place. No thanks.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Jason

Wow, get up on the wrong side of the bed today, "xxx"?

Some very strong accusations there, each without an iota of evidence or even strong indications that what you say is (will be) true over the next year about salaries and the US Government's goals.

I'd also suggest to you that even if there was 100% airtight security and guards armed to the teeth on every plane, people would be staying home in droves right now. It's the psychology of the attacks and budgetary constraints in the corporate travel world which are putting people off and leaving planes half full right now.

You seem waaay too excitable about your conspiracy theory, xxx. Stop and think about it a little.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 09:50 AM
Monica

I agree with Jason. To "xxx", despite the atrocities that occurred on 9/11, LIFE GOES ON! And to island girl, yes, some of us, will continue to travel to the islands and elsewhere. I plan to book a trip to Kauai early next year, regardless of all the security concerns.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:50 AM
kal

Aloha,
I've already had 2 trips canceled ("The News", New England and New Orleans) and we will do anything to make sure our trip to Kauai in 89 mo' days comes off without a hitch.

Somebody has to pump some $$$ back into the island economy and Mrs Kal is just the person to do it. Especially since we have all the NOLA food/booze $$$ in the vacation account!

Mahalo to all,
The Kals

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:39 AM
yay!

Don't really have anything interesting to add to this thread except to say that I am going to Hawaii for 12 nights for my Honeymoon, the second weekend in November.
I briefly entertained the thought of cancelling in the days following the attacks, but now I am more sure than ever that this honeymoon will go on.

Someone answer me this though: I've been hearing so much about empty hotels and planes and a hurting tourist industry, but when I called my hotel on the Big Island to try to upgrade my room, they were all booked, and when I tried to change my flight home from a 757 red-eye through LA to a 2PM 777 through San Fran, the 1st class on the 777 was full (that's like 36 seats!). What's the deal?! Hawaii can't be doing that badly!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 11:33 AM
Suzie

Hey yay, the deal with the airline is probably that they've cancelled many of their regularly scheduled flights and consolidated so that fewer flights go out. That happened to us. Though it still looks like they have the flight you want, a few days prior to departure they contact you to tell you your flight is switched. Pretty tricky. Just got back from Kauai on Friday and thought all the hotels were deserted. Fortunatley for Kauai it is the timeshare capital of Hawaii. They expect to do better than the other islands. Perhaps when you get there you can arrange for upgrades and such. When I contacted the completely deserted Hyatt for a day rate they made like they wouldn't have a room the following day and I should just take the current day. Must just be the demeanor that the hotel managers are displaying.