Reload this Page >

Theatre Suggestions Pls =)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:22 PM
klam

Our first visit to NYC will be for five days next week. Any suggestions on good Broadway shows to see...I've already picked up tips from other postings (The Women-thanx Melanie, and Radio City HolidayShow),and we have already seen Les Mis, Phantom, and Beauty and the Beast in other cities. I know about the Lion King and the ticket outlet. If you have any suggestions on what's good, it will make it easier to decide which ticket scraps to buy, as we know we are late in the game. Also, sorry for my ignorance, but what's "off-Broadway". This board has been an amazing source of info for us...thanx a mint for sharing.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:36 PM
xxx

Personally I loved Contact and would see it again in a minute if given the opportunity.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:37 PM
ryan

"Off-Broadway" refers to the size of the theater and not the location. Smaller venues are called "off-broadway"
So, it is possible to be "Off Broadway" on Broadway.

Assuming you are not going with children or teens, Cabaret is a great show.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Howard

Next week will be a very, very busy one for the theaters, so forget about the big hits unless you have tickets.
Here's a list of show I'd recommend, for which you can get tickets (some of them even at the discount TKTS booth in Times Square):

Musicals: Cabaret, Chicago, Contact, The Full Monty, Kiss Me Kate

Straight plays: Noises Off, Proof, The Women

The advice would probably be better if you'd let know what you taste in shows is.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Ted

I just saw EVERITT BEEKIN at Lincoln Center and it was fantastic! Bebe Neuwirth (of "Cheers" fame) and Robin Bartlett ("Mad About You") were extraordinary! Also impressive was young Jennifer Carpenter in her Broadway debut.

Two acts, about 2 hours long with 15 minute intermission. Not a bad seat in the house (Mitzi E. Newhouse Theater).

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:31 PM
klam

Wow!! You "guys" are great! Thanx a mint for responding so quickly! Sorry, forgot to mention we like musicals and comedy, but not "Tom Green" type of comedy. Open minded, husband and wife, no kids, mid to late 30's...sigh...

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 02:37 PM
ryan

Klam,
You'll probably like Cabaret then. Very entertaining. Good seats will probably be available.

Spend the extra money and get orchestra seats. You'll feel part of the action that way.

Have fun and Merry Christmas.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Ted

Regarding EVERITT BEEKIN, I forgot to mention that all seats are $35. Can't beat that for such great entertainment!

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Howard

After your brief followup comment, I'd recommend Cabaret or Chicago.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 05:06 PM
Patrick

Tale of the Allergist's Wife, very funny "modern" comedy.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 06:10 PM
marj

got to playbill.com to see listings of what is where on and off-broadway. You can get reviews from nytimes.com. I haven't seen much lately but did enjoy contact and heard proof is very good.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Samantha

I think Contact would fit the bill perfectly. And you can't get a bad seat in that theater. You'll love the 3rd act!

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 12:15 PM
karen

Just saw Urinetown and enjoyed it as it seemed everyone else did too. I live in NYC and see a lot. Noises Off is very entertaining(Patty Lupone is great).

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 01:05 PM
Elizabeth

(I am a New Yorker for what that is worth): for a great emotional and intellectual workout, I recommend True Love, which is Off or Off-Off Broadway (as noted, these designations refer to theatre size not location). It's about men, women, love, sex, legal and illegal, and there's a blues band on the stage.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 12:33 PM
klam

Well, back from our first trip and here's my summary to help out others "behind" me...
We lined up spontaneously for Radio City Christmas Spectacular. There were so many people in front of the theatre we got caught up in it and decided to try our luck...row 10 for the next night! The show was fun.

Lined up at TKTS, the lines were incredibly long. Locals who were in the line said they had not seen lines like this before. We were there Christmas week and lineups were crazy everywhere. For example, 1.5 to 2 hours for the Empire State Bldg observatory! We gave up one morning at TKTS after close to 2 hours in the cold, as there was very little remaining on the board and we were still far away from the front (there were at least four lines of people behind us still!) We tried again on another day and waited for an hour or so and got tickets for Contact, as some of the posters suggested. We really enjoyed the show and seeing it at Lincoln Centre at night gave it fabulous atmosphere. Thanx for the suggestion!

We loved NY so much we are going back in Feb to see Lion King and something else, and do some museums. If any of you reading this are going to NY here's some more info on our trip.

We stayed at the Intercontinental (48th & Park). This place is a gem. Great service from front desk. Due to an early morning flight into NYC, we arrived 6.5 hours before check-in. We expected to just store our luggage and then check-in in the mid-afternoon. No problem...we were given a room right away...an upgrade we think: 12th floor with a king size bed that was so big we literally had to jump or climb onto! The hotel's steps away from Grand Central Terminal, and walking distance to Rockefellar, Times Sq., etc. Very convenient for dropping off all your shopping packages! From reading reviews about hotel rooms in NYC, I was surprised to see ours, with a wing chair and desk with a pull out section. Only bad things: 1) you can hear street noise all the time (but we're excellent sleepers so it didn't bother us!), 2) we stayed there for five days and the doorman did not say hi/good morning/merry christmas to us even once though we walked thru those doors several times a day, and 3) the waiters in the hotel breakfast buffet are a bit pushy (they don't ask, just pour you coffee and walk away...I don't drink coffee!) Loved this place and will return again in the future.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:28 PM
c

If you haven't seen Noises Off in England,as it is originally an English production-I would really recommend it..it is so funny and the theatre is fairly comfortable and right in the middle of everything in the theatre district, so it is fun to walk around before/after the show.Contact at Lincoln Center is perfect-and you are down around the Opera House and Avery Fisher Hall and that area of NY that is good for wandering and sightseeing..Hope you have a great time!c

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 01:48 PM
michelle/nyc

42nd Street ... a musical revival ... everyone I know who's seen it has loved it.