Reload this Page >

Theatre Show--Can I get tickets for Sat. Night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 02:04 PM
Sam

Going to NYC with my mother Oct.15 who has not been to NYC in 41 years. I would like to take her to the theater on Sat. night (Oct.16.) What are the chances of me getting tickets? Where can I shop on the internet? What shows could I possibly get tickets for the night performance? What shows should I try to get tickets for?

Thanks for any help ! ! !

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 04:26 PM
Howard

First try the Playbrill website (playbill.com) and become a member. Anyone can, there's no charge and it's not a gimmick. Once you join, you can then get info on discounted tickets for a bunch of shows. Saturday night is always a tough night, and I'm not even sure if many or any of the discount offers are good for Saturday night. Anyway, try that.
Don't expect to get tickets for the big hits (i.e., Lion King, Fosse, Death of a Salesman). Why type of show are you looking for--a fun musical, serious musical, drama, comedy? Provide a profile of the type of show and I'll try help you more.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 05:04 AM
Sam

Something Fun. I would love to see death of a salesman but I would rather see something a little more upbeat. A musical would be right in line. In my home city, we do get a lot of the travelling shows so many shows (although different) have passed through. My mother is 65, yet cool and mobile. I just don't want to take her to a show with a lot of strong language and where a everyone gets naked. A little of that is OK though. Thanks for the help.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 05:37 AM
howard

Here's some you might try (including the Telecharge or Ticketmaster numbers):
Annie Get Your Gun (800-755-4000)
Chicago (800-432-7250) (Based on your description of your mother, I don't think this is too "sexy" for her. It's one of Broadway's best!)
Les Miserable (800-432-7250) (But, I'd think you could get chedaper tickets thru the Playbill website for this one.)
Miss Saigan (800-432-7250) (Same comment as for Les Miserables.)
Ragtime (800-755-4000 (A wonderful show.)
The Phantom of the Opera (800-432-7500) (I' don't think there'll be anything for a Saturday night.
I would bother with the others. I RECOMMEND YOU CALL IMMEDIATELY! Good luck.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 05:41 AM
howard

Ooops, that first sentence of the last paragraph should read, "I WOULDN'T bother with the others on Broadway that I didn't list.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 09:14 AM
Diane

Are you staying at a hotel? Call the concierge desk immediately -- if they have one. (I stay in all types of hotels -- fancy ones and budget tourist. I sometimes forget about the super service available at the front desks... it is certainly worth a shot.)

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 10:36 AM
ilisa

Some hotels in New York have a ticket desk solely to secure tickets for guests. Whatever you do, do not use them. They charge exorbitant fees. I remember once checking into tickets at my hotel (the Marriott Marquis - hated it), and my $75 tickets would have ended up being $100 apiece with all their fees.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Lori

Don't forget to check out the board at TKTS 47th and Bway. Tickets go on sale for evening shows Saturday afternoon. There is also a location downtown at 1 World Trade Center.

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 01:10 PM
howard

Going back to my earlier advice: For a Saturday night next week, call for tickets NOW! Don't wait to go to the TKTS booth that day. You'll have a limited choice even now!

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 08:06 AM
lisa

Ilisa: I'm curious to know what you didn't like about the Marriott Marquis. I was considering staying there in an upcoming trip as the Playbill website has a really good rate of $129 on certain dates. I've seen the common areas of the hotel and eaten in the restaurant but have never seen the rooms -- are they shabby or too noisy do to the location? Or was the service bad? If it's really a bad choice I'll stay at the Edison like I usually do...

Also, Sam -- the newyork.sidewalk.com website has a link to which shows are available at the TKTS booth which can be really helpful. I've had good luck there.

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 08:22 AM
ilisa

Hi! Regarding the Marriott Marquis, there really isn't anything wrong with it. The service wasn't bad or anything like that; it was just way too impersonal for my tastes. Normally, I can tolerate chain hotels, but this was just too much for me. I can't explain it. We had no choice but to stay there since my husband was there on business. As you probably know, the place is huge, with its own theater. Also, I have severe objections to a place that charges almost $16 for a bagel and lox. However, if none of that bothers you, then it's fine. At $129, who cares?

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 08:22 AM
howard

I know that Lori and Lisa are certainly well intentioned, but if I was in Sam's situation, I will again reinterate that I sure wouldn't wait until the performance day to get tickets for a Saturday night at TKTS (and I too have had good luck there). I would do it now....unless, of course, the cheaper price is the strongest consideration.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 03:34 PM
SAM

A BIG THANKS to everyone, especially Howard for the information. I booked tickets for Saturday night to "Chicago". This will give us something to do and keep my 65 year-old mother out of the bars--just kidding. Again, thanks

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 04:36 PM
howard

Glad to help out, Sam. Hope you and mother enjoy the show. You made a good choice. It's one of our favorites. (We've seen it three times!) Let us know how it went!