Reload this Page >

Theater business improving in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:15 AM
Howard

While still not back to pre-September 11 levels, the theater is rebounding in NYC. Last week showed a dramatic improvement. So, for those of you who expected an easy time for picking up tickets to all shows (except The Producers and The Lion King, of course), it won't be that easy, especially on weekends. YOu'll still have a choice at TKTS, but perhaps not as great as a couple weeks ago. So, if you're coming to the city and there's a specific show that you want to see, you might want to get your tickets in advance. Check out www.playbill.com for some bargains you can take advantage of in advance.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:20 AM
Thyra

Thanks for the tip Howard. My husband and I are visiting NYC next Thursday and were really hoping to get in to see one of the hotter shows... do you think we'd have a chance at standby..if we got two singles???? I hate to say it but count me in the throngs that would love to see the Producers.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:02 AM
Lori

Thyra,
It doesn't hurt to try. However, the cancellation line forms very early in the day. I don't know what time they start to sell the tickets for that night. It probably doesn't hurt to speak to your hotel's concierge. you never know!! Have a great time in NYC, still a great place to be!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:21 PM
Howard

Thyra, Lori is right about getting in the line at The Producers early. If you think it's worth waiting in line for, say, 8 hours, then do it! The show wonderful! If you don't luck in with a cancellation, you can always buy a standing room tickets for $31. Standing room is not sold until all the cancellations are resold.
For other shows, you'll probably be able to pick up something at TKTS or at the Playbill website for Thursday evening.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:27 PM
Thyra

Lori and Howard...thanks for all the advice. Honestly, we had a whole weekend getaway planned in London... but opted for NYC to visit some friends, eat out and generally do our modest part to help the economy, besides I got the deal of a lifetime on air and hotel... OK so if I can't score tickets to the Producers..Do you have personal favorites for other shows?? We had the London theatre scene down, but NYC we haven't researched. We pretty much love theatre in general and wacky off broadway as well, but I've no idea where to start, I'd prefer not to see Les Miz again. Any personal faves????

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 02:52 PM
Howard

Thyra, I can empathize with you about a cancelled trip, since we cancelled (oops, I mean postponed) our September visit to Italy.
Anyway, here are my recommendations (in alpha order):
Musicals--Cabaret, Chicago, Contact, Full Monty, Kiss Me Kate
Plays--Dance of Death (starring Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren) and Proof
We won't be seeing Dance of Death until later this month, but friends said the acting, as expected, was outstanding.
Except for Dance of Death, you stand a chance of getting tickets at TKTS or thru the Playbill website for the others.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Lori

I agree with Howard's choices. I loved Cabaret, Chicago, and Contact. I still want to see the Full Monty, and Mamma Mia. I have tix for the Producers in November. I'm sorry you cancelled your trip to London, but I do understand. We're heading to Paris in November, and I'm nervous but made the decision to go. Also, as Howard mentioned, the TKTS booth is a great place for off price tix.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:10 AM
lisa

Contact was fantastic -- much better than Cabaret and the Full Monty in my opinion. I also loved Proof and The Lion King. However, The Producers is just the best -- absolutely hilarious and well-worth a very long wait in line for tickets.
I am seeing Mamma Mia, Thou Shalt Not, and The Shape of Things this weekend and will post a report when I return.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Thyra

Hey, you NYer's thanks so much! You guys are the best... we will be there next week and will be sure and see a b-way show and report when we get back.