The weekend outside of San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My sister has to go to SF for a conference on a Monday and Tuesday in August. She wants me to meet her there and we are planning to fly into SF on Friday and enjoy the weekend sightseeing before she starts her class on Monday.

Any ideas where we could go/what we could see in a short weekend outside of SF? Places to stay? I know there is gobs to do IN the city but she has been before (I haven't) and I wanted to do something that would be new to her as much as to me. I am clueless (never been to CA) and don't even know where to start.

Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks so much.

(BTW, scenery and good eating are top priorities.)
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM
trippinkpj

How long will you be there Lisa? If just Friday - sunday, I suggest you stay in the City. Find out what she's already seen, and then do other things. Beleive me, living near the city (50 miles) I've been there well over 100 times. And I can still find new things to see and do.

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Hi Lisa, We just had a fun overnight trip that included a trip to Healdsburg with half a dozen winery visits, dinner and overnight in Healdsburg then we headed toward the Russian River. There are more wineries if you are still interested but we went to Armstrong Redwoods and strolled through the quiet beauty of the forest. Then we continued on to the coast where we had a late lunch at Lucas Wharf in Bodega Bay (lots more walks available here if you're interested). We continued on through the farmlands home to SF where we had dinner on our return.

It was a gorgeous getaway with everything you're looking for. Lots of the B&Bs and Inns in the area require 2 night stays but we just stayed at the Best Western which was more than adequate.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

That sounds nice Catbert! Yes, something like that! Now, I'm looking at the map, not knowing what I'm talking about really, but would a trip to Carmel, then down 1 to Cambria be a possibility/something worth doing?

Yes, very limited time we are talking here. We'd get to the airport at noon on Friday and start driving out of the city then. Find a place to stay Friday night; then Saturday night; return to the city on Sunday so that sis can start conference Monday a.m.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

But that is a good point, trippin. I am going to email her and ask her what she has done already while in SF. Still want to hear suggestions for a drive out of the city, though. Thanks everyone.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Driving down the coast to either Santa Cruz, Monterey or Carmel is a beautiful drive!

Utahtea
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Carmel is gorgeous and has many nice places to dine. Bouchee, Casanova, Mission Ranch, Little Napoli are all very good. We had an excellent breakfast at Katy's Place a few weeks ago and a very nice dinner at Tarpey's Roadhouse in Monterey. This would be a very nice area for you to explore. Very scenic, lots to do! Have fun! ***kim***
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM

>>Driving down the coast to either Santa Cruz, Monterey or Carmel is a beautiful drive!<<

If it's not socked-in with fog - which is quite possible in August.

Stu Dudley
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM

moss beach distillery in moss beach (just north of half moon bay). sit on the outside deck and eat clam chowder and cheesy garlic bread while you look for seals in cove below. 45 min from SF along highway 1 and totally worth it.
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM

You can't get to Moss Beach along Highway 1. There's a slide just above Montara Beach which has left the road closed for the foreseeable future.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:49 PM
trippinkpj

I'm with Utah Tea and others about heading south. Princeton by the Sea, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Capitola, Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel. Take your pick: they are all fantastic coastal towns.

Old May 17th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Healdsburg will be very hot in August. The restaurants Kimamom suggested are good for those who don't know food. Why restaurants were suggested when you weren't asking are beyond me. You ought to take a drive down the coastal highway and stop at Half Moon Bay and Santa Cruz. There is much to explore in those areas. The Monterey Peninsula is another wonderful area to spend a few nights.
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the responses. I'm still researching the Monterey/Carmel area and that's probably the way we are going to head...now to find accomodations for those 2 nights. If anyone wants to throw out a suggestion...

(I think Kim mentioned restaurants because I said good-eating is a priority for us Wannabe. I'm from Mississippi so I probably don't *know* food either; but I *do* know manners and I like Kims. ;-) )
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Welcome to California. I like the Monterey/Carmel suggestion too. It is likely to be cool along the coast, so bring long pants and a light jacket. I know coming from Miss. you will feel really weird while packing, but trust me The general weather pattern that time of year is fog in the morning which burns off about mid-day and returns in the evenning. Temperatures generally in the 60s.

Going all the way to Cambria is a stretch, but you can get a good taste of the Big Sur coast at Point Lobos state park, which is a few miles south of Carmel. Absolutely gorgeous.

I don't have any specific hotel recommendations for you, but the town of Pacific Grove is really pretty - it is sandwiched between Monterey and Carmel, so it is convinient too. It has some great architecture and a lot of older homes that are really well kept. And it is right along the water with a paved walking/biking trail above small beaches and coves with tidepools and the whole bit.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much J Correa for the tips. Very helpful. Nice to think of needing a jacket in August! Now to find lodging...looking at the Tickle Pink Inn right now...those views look amazing! Have a feeling I may be too late to get a reservation, but we shall see. Will definitely check out Point Lobos state park.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:44 PM

if you can't get into carmel, check out half moon bay- it's our favorite and a beautiful area
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Take a look at Carmel Mission Inn. It's right on the northern most cove of Point Lobos and looks out on a sheep meadow, the little bay and the PL Reserve. It's been rennovated recently and is really pretty.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Catbert, thanks for the hotel suggestion. I just reserved 2 nights at the Misison Inn. Looks like a nice location.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM

is that the one that clint owns? if so, we stayed there and liked it very much. even if you're not staying there, go over to the piano bar- lots of locals there and everyone sings along- lots of fun
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM
SAB

Eastwood owns the Carmel Mission Ranch, which Catbert mistakenly referenced as the Carmel Mission Inn. The Carmel Mission Inn does exist it is a Best Western --fairly nice hotel just off Highway 1 but no view of Point Lobos. Which one did you book Lisa--hopefully the Mission Ranch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -