The Ritz Naples or Casa Ybel Sanibel?

Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ritz Naples or Casa Ybel Sanibel?

Hi all,
I need help to narrow these two down. I could stay in either location for three days and figure they are close enough that I can drive to either during the day to site see. I have two little kids and my husband and I would like a luxury stay on our vacation. I was excited about The Naples Grande and La Playa until I read really off-putting reviews on Tripadvisor so I 've switched it to the Ritz or Ybel. What does everyone think? Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Neopolitan

The two are so different. Casa Ybel is nice, but very laid back and very casual. The Ritz is very upscale and very elegant, not "laid back".

Funny about the negative reviews about LaPlaya -- other than some complaints during construction, I've never heard anything but positive.

Naples Grande can be very "convention group" oriented which can make or break your stay there!

Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:01 PM

If you're staying on the beach, make it Naples, where there is much more to see and do. Daytrip to Sanibel and don't miss the Ding Darling nature area. Caribbean Gardens is great for kids in Naples.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

I've stayed at Casa Ybel and we love it, but it is NOT luxury. It's just very laid back and comfortable, but definitely nothing fancy.

That said, please please please, everyone, don't put so much stock in all you read in TripAdvisor. Take the general consensus and not the odd one or two reviews. I cannot begin to tell you the number of factually inaccurate reviews I've read there...some honest mistakes, but some not so honest as well! TA puts a disclaimer after each review and for good reason. I suggest you go back and take a critical look at the reviews again lenlu, then go with the majority.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:14 PM

I just got back from a trip to the Ritz Naples and loved it. Click on my name and you'll find my post.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 05:03 PM

We took our kids to the Ritz in Naples and had a great time. We'd love to go back there. Upscale but family friendly.
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:18 AM

I agree with Padams -- the Ritz is upscale, but family friendly. I couldn't believe how many families with young children I saw there. They may even have a kids club.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:06 AM

If you pick Naples, I would also highly recommend LaPlaya ... we stayed there last year (in the Beach House) and just loved it. Great place, very nice restaurant on site (right on the beach), and beautiful grounds. More of an "intimate" feeling than the Ritz.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM

I haven't been to La Playa or Ybel but have been to the Ritz, and while it is a gorgeous resort with absolutely impeccable service, I did feel it was a little stuffy, especially in the lobby in the evening. It's not the kind of place we felt comfortable in shorts and flip-flops, you really felt as though you should have a jacket on.

I guess it depends whether you like a laid back casual atmosphere or a very elegant, albeit stuffy one.
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:41 AM

I've been to all 3 actually (my parents lived there) and if I had kids with me would pick La Playa. I LOVE the Ritz, but it's a little more formal. Great place to have a meal though! Love Naples.
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, all these posts are really helpful...I appreciate it.