Reload this Page >

The Point Resort on Saranac Lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Tammy

I'm looking for comments about this resort.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:56 AM

to top

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Jocelyn

We stayed at its 'sister resort' across the lake (Lake Placid Lodge), same ownership.
Upsides to the Point: secluded, private, no request will be ignored ("we want to learn to flyfish", "we want to have a gourmet picnic up on the mountain including transportation, etc" would be typical requests which wouldn't elicit so much as a flinch or moment's hesitation), food is supposed to be truly excellent.
For me, the downsides are: not enough 'bang for the buck' as far as room quality goes (since rooms are typically over $1000 a night), a little stuffier than I like (and we love Four Seasons atmosphere), typical crowd definitely older than we are (early 40's).
Another property worth a look in this price range is Twin Farms in Barnard, Vermont, near Woodstock.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 03:18 AM
Tammy

Thank you Jocelyn. I'll check out the Vermont property.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Neil

My wife and I have been to both The Point and Twin Farms. In our opinion, there is no comparison--Twin Farms wins hands down in every category (food, rooms, service). We are experienced travelers and consider Twin Farms the best place we have ever stayed. Although it is quite expensive, we always felt we were getting our money's worth, particularly given the quality of the food and wine (it is all-inclusive). We have been there in June and October. June was lovely, but the fall is spectacular. However, weekends can fill up a year in advance. If you want to know more about either resort, just e-mail me.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Tammy

Thanks Neil, I'll save your E-mail for when I firm up my plans. I've often thought of doing something like this in the future.