The Oregon Coast-One More Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted earlier about making a trip to the Oregon coast and received many comments.

Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending upon one's point of view) we ended up in Europe instead for three weeks.

Now, the much more likely possibility has arisen again. I will definitely be attending a military organization reunion in August 2014 for three nights in Seattle. I am thinking of renting a car and driving down to the Cannon Beach area for a couple of days. I also want to see the area around Cape Disappointment if possible.

I've been to Seattle before as well as Portland and the Columbia River area in the past but never the coast.

I made a reservation at a hotel in Cannon Beach yesterday (they required a 3-night minimum for my dates; I can cancel the whole thing if necessary).

On my last thread I heard everything from the place is wonderful to its full of tacky galleries and driftwood sellers to lots of other places would be better. I suppose these comments could be made about just about anywhere "at the beach."

I am asking myself if it is worth it to stare at the sunset over the Pacific for three nights. I just wish I could bring my dog with me!

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. I think I am finally going to punch this ticket unless somebody gives me overwhelming reasons not to.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We stayed in Cannon Beach at the Schooner Cove Inn in September of 2010. We really liked the town. We spent a half day or so walking around the shops and ended up buying a locally made glass vase at Icefire Glassworks (it's a bit off the main shopping area if memory serves but worth a visit IMO). Yes, there are some tacky shops, but I remember some nice ones as well. We ate breakfast twice at Lazy Susan and really enjoyed it. We did a 3-mile (rainy) hike at Ecola State Park (which is worth a visit even if you don't intend to hike). We did a longer hike--Neahkahnie Mountain-- the followng (clear) day. It's a really beautiful area. If we'd had one more full day there, we would have driven up or down the coast a bit more and stopped at some of the other towns.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Check into taking an Amtrak Cascades train from Seattle to Portland and renting the car in Portland. This gives you the option of flying home from Portland instead of returning the rental car to Seattle. The Trimet Red line is the easy way to get to PDX from downtown Portland.
If this is a solo trip, you could stay at the hostel in Seaside and save a lot of money. I've stayed there more than once.
I don't remember staying more than an hour in Cannon Beach. I like to see more of the beach than just Haystack Rock.
Enjoy your trip to the great Oregon Coast.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Indy and Tom. I am considering flying home from Portland since doing so would be economical for me. And I would also consider taking the train between Seattle and Portland.

Can anyone tell me just how big Cannon Beach actually is? I am assuming that most of the accommodations listed on Trip Advisor are within walking distance of the things in town such as restaurants, etc.

I currently have a reservation at the Ocean Lodge but am wondering if I should have made one at the Surfsand instead due to location.

What I should probably do is simply go to Cannon Beach, see haystack rock etc., etc., and go on and stay the night elsewhere down the coast a bit; am considering that scenario as well.
Thanks very much for your replies.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 08:16 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
People have different perceptions of Cannon Beach. Personally, we think it's fairly scenic but a bit too touristy for our tastes. The Oregon coast has so many scenic places - concentrating on one to the exclusion of others, well...

Cape Disappointment and the mouth of the Columbia are (IMO) don't-miss experiences. You could then visit Cannon Beach but if you're encountering minimum stay requirements, there is plenty of comfortable accommodation just up the road in Astoria, most likely without having to book multiple nights. And in fact, Ecola State Park, the real draw, is between Astoria and Cannon Beach.

Depending on how energetic you feel, or how much you want to drive, you could return to Portland after heading south, down the coast to Depoe Bay or even Yachats, then back through the wine country around Yamhill County /McMinnville. More aggressive, but worthwhile.

Just as an aside, if you have the time and interest, you might look at including the Quinault Valley rain forest in this excursion. It's a couple of hours north of Astoria, but incredibly worthwhile. Driving from Seattle, rather than Portland, would probably make more sense if you did - Seattle - Quinault - Willapa Bay (fab nature reserve) - Cape Disappointment - Astoria - Ecola - Cannon Beach - Portland.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 08:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Seaside has the Prommenade with a sand beach.
Cannon Beach is right against the ocean with a rather rocky beach. Within a half mile of downtown Cannon Beach I once saw elk tracks on a trail when I was looking for a geocache.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for these additional responses. I am beginning to think through this more carefully.

I have looked at a couple of accommodations in Astoria which are interesting and whereas I was originally thinking of flying in and out of Seattle I may very well do an open jaw since a drop charge for a rental car doesn't look to be that high.

I may not even need a rental while I am at the reunion; not sure about that yet.

Everyone's suggestions have been good and thank you.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 09:22 AM

I am one of those who like Cannon Beach- yes its touristy but I don't really mind that. I think for 3 days you would find lots to do. I would prefer staying in Cannon Beach rather than Astoria- there are interesting things to do in the Astoria area for sure but Cannon Beach has more of a beach town feel while Astoria feels like more of a real functioning city. Guess it depends on what you are looking for.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Sunburn1944. I know exactly what you are saying.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 10:11 AM

august is high season so will be busy. use gmaps street walk to drive the coast and look at Canon Beach. are you just interested in scenery? do you have other interests?
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 10:34 AM

We stayed at the Surfsand Resort for one night this past July. My only regret was not spending two nights there. It's a lovely hotel in an excellent location. We enjoyed being right there at the beach with a perfect view of Haystack Rock. We saw elk in two different areas of Ecola State Park, and thought Indian Beach was nice well. Don't miss the short but beautiful hike to Short Sands Beach at Oswald West State Park. I wish we could have visited Hug Point, but we didn't have enough time. We had Surfsand build us a private campfire on the beach in the evening, so cozy and enjoyable - they even provide the blankets for you.

In town, Bill's Tavern has excellent halibut fish and chips. I don't usually like fried foods, but they weren't greasy at all and so delicious.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

My reservation is at the Ocean Lodge but I thought seriously about out the Surfsand...do you think the location of one is any better than the other?
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM

We head over to CB often. Both of those hotels are nice, but the Surfsand has a MUCH better location going for it. The Ocean Lodge is either a long walk on the beach to town, or along a windy road with no sidewalks. The Surfsand is either a short walk to downtown either along the beach or on wide sidewalks. We almost always opt for the Surfsand for lodging here.

We have places both hear in Portland as well as Seattle, and my DH commutes weekly. We use the train a lot and highly recommend it. That said, the one thing you cannot do if you take the train is to take the detour up to Mt St Helens. That is a must, if the weather is good, IMO.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Mms,

Thank you very much for that info. I have changed my reservation to the Surfsand and was able to reserve two nights instead of three which is a better situation for me.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Ecola State Park is in Cannon Beach. The Lewis and Clark National Historic Park is in Astoria, but they're distinct parks, no?
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:18 PM

Dukey--Glad to help I am very adventuresome, but walking on that windy road (up a hill with blind spots) is one thing I will not do, lol. We have been staying at the Surfsand for many years and always enjoy it. They are super dog friendly, so while you won't have yours, you can enjoy others. They are also the only resort on the entire OR coast that has cabana service in season. They have adirondack chairs and umbrellas set out on the beach for your use, no extra charge. There is a reason it is one of the most popular places in town. If you don't mind sharing, what is the reunion in Seattle?
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info. I'm with you in terms of being able to walk to places, especially at the beach.

The reunion in Seattle is for a Marine Corps unit I was assigned to (when I was in the Navy) and went to Viet Nam with (the first time) back in the 1960's. A group of us puts on a reunion every year. This past May we held it in Jacksonville Beach, FL. The spouses usually come along and there is the usual war story swapping, sightseeing, etc. Lots of fun and some support as we age.

We have "persuaded" one of the guys who lives in the Seattle area to manage it in 2014 and he feels that August would be the most ideal time/weather, etc., to hold it there.

Seems like the ideal time afterward to finally visit the Oregon coast after years of thinking about it and almost doing it (as happened this past summer).
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:47 PM

indyhiker--Yes, they are both distinct parks
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM

Dukey--Sounds good! My DH is a retired Submarine Officer, so I get how it is nice to reconnect with shipmates, etc. And yes, Seattle in August in prime time there! If you have time, try to catch a Mariner's game. Lots of fun, and if a night game, great views of the city.
Old Nov 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Dukey, I can't help you with details but I just wanted to say: go and enjoy. I was on the southern Oregon coast in Bandon a couple of months ago and loved it. It was gorgeous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -