Reload this Page >

The New Otani-Honolulu

Search

The New Otani-Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:02 AM
iceeu2

The New Otani-Honolulu

Found a room termed moderate for $135/night. No view tho. That would be fine for us for the 2 nights we need, but the couple going with us has never been to Hawaii. Since this will be our 1st 2 nights should I have them spring for an oceanview or oceanfront for themselves.

i'2

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How much more $?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:19 AM
iceeu2

suze, here's how they run:

Moderate-$135
Diamond Head View-$162
Park View Suite - $162
Ocean View - $198
Diamond Head Jr Suite - $225
Ocean View Deluxe-$234
Ocean Front Jr. Suite - $279

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I researched that hotel before my trip I remembered the room sizes varied widely.

For a first time visit to HI, I would DEFINITELY start the trip off with a view of Diamond Head and/or the ocean.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Welcome back to the board, iceeu2.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM
iceeu2

Thank you, thank you very much!

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM

I've only seen this hotel from the outside (I can't quite afford it unfortunately) & a co-worker recommends it highly. I absolutely love the location. I guess I would bump up at least a little bit just to avoid a parking lot or air shaft view (hopefully - LOL!) on your first nights.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM
iceeu2

I agree and understand, but here's the deal. First morning we will certainly be up by 4 and not later than 5 am. That will be 9 or 10 our time. It's going to be dark for a while. So, we will be out early and with that hotel being on the beach, we can go downstairs and have a great view.

Just trying to justify not spending more than necessary!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM

We stayed there about 6 years ago and were really happy with our choice. Our room was about the 6th floor or so, just high enough to see Honolulu lit up at night over the palm trees next to the hotel. The room was very small, but had a wrap-around balcony with chairs that was heaven. I definitely think it's worth getting a room with a view of Honolulu (Diamondhead wouldn't be much of a view at night.)
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Nope, not trying to talk you into the fancier room... heck I've never stayed anywhere with an ocean view! What does the couple you're traveling with think?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM

It's all a matter of opinion. For me, it would be worth the extra $$$ to open the curtains and see the ocean the first time I am in Hawaii. I think for your first time visitors, the couple, it would be as well. Don't know. Don't know them. Don't know their budget and preferences.

For me, I'd go with a view of Diamondhead or ocean. If I remember the color coding of the rooms at this hotel from the website, the rooms may be larger as well. When I considered booking I decided to book the middle $$$ room - but then stayed elsewhere.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM

whoooo....tough call. But at the next hotel, will you have an ocean view?
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Although most of the reviews for New Otani Kaimana on tripadvisor.com were positive, I did read one I found quite disturbing. It was the one by a guy who claimed that his rental car was damaged by the hotel valet and that the hotel was not at all cooperative.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I stayed at a cheaper hotel, but it wasn't the first time in Hawaii and I had a Diamond Head view AND a peek at the ocean if I leaned.

I had oceanviews for the rest of the trip (Hilton and 4S on Big Island) and first trip (Hyatt and Maui Prince on Maui)

I'm tellin' you - whipping open those curtains and seeing The OCEAN (look! it's the ocean! We're in HAWAII!!! Pinch me!!!) is worth a few buckaroos in my book.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:24 AM
iceeu2

Here's where we will be for the following 3 nights...http://hanasheaven.com/

I'm so afraid this will be as boring as Kauai, but as least the real icee is going to have his chance to paraglide.

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

I know the routine from the East coast... up well before dawn and watching the sunrise ON the beach the first day. Busy day sightseeing, back to the beach, change for dinner and watch the sunset ON the beach or from the restaurant. Back to the hotel.... sleep!
View from hotel totally unnecessary, curtains barely twitched!
Definitely check with the other couple as to what suits them and their budget.
I'd only pay more for extra space or for a more recently renovated room.
If they'd like a view but don't want to stretch their budget at the start of their vacation then maybe they could ask at check in if the hotel is offering upgrades. You might get one for free or be quoted a lower upgrade price...
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Just wanted to add that the cottages on Maui look lovely and have beautiful views!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:39 AM
iceeu2

Thanks guys, but I have now ended up all the way to the other end. Just pricelined and got the Hawaii Prince Hotel for $149. This makes me very very happy, especially since I have been bidding for quite sometime now.

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Good job, Priceline Queen! You are my Priceline hero. First Atlanta - now the world!

(Okay, a far piece of the US (or should that be a "fur" piece of the USA?)
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Very good job. The Prince is one of my fave hotels, and Kal can tell you he loved it, too. I live in the area and maybe we can rendezvous! Last time Kal was here, we had a GTG at Longhi's at Ala Moana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -