The Kitty Knight House - A Mini Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you enjoy scenic drives, water views, and historic places, then Cecil and Kent Counties in Maryland could be for you. And, the Kitty Knight House ("KKH") is just the place to stay.

View from the driveway.

This visit was for my h.s. reunion. It was held in a restaurant that was called the Granary but is now Fish Whistle at the Granary. It is located on the Sassafras River. Google "Georgetown Yacht Basin" for further info. If you are a boater, this is a lovely area. And, FWIW, that far north in the Chesapeake Bay will find few sea nettles.

Also in Georgetown, and across the river from the reunion, is the Kitty Knight House. https://www.kittyknight.com/ Supposedly, Kitty Knight, during the war of 1812, was able to convince the British to spare houses of an elderly neighbors (see the history at the link below). Her home was also spared and became a hotel and inn. The hotel closed for some years and has re-opened by owner Sueann Hall.
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 12:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
How nice to read this. It is a beautiful area and has been years since I have eaten at the Granary. I am so glad it is still open.
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 09:16 AM

This looks like a lovely spot. We have never spent much time on the MD Eastern Shore so I am putting it on our list along with the Harriet Tubman National Park
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, All and here's more:

I arrived around 3 on Saturday. The reunion to start at 4 so I had time to check in and unpack a bit. Bad knee alert! There will be stairs. No elevators at this time. There is an upper parking lot that will save your climb however. Look for an "Open" flag when you turn off 313. There is parking at the foot of the stairs but stay to the right and you'll reach the upper lot. It was mobbed on this beautiful August Saturday night.

I was in room 10 as the fewest number of stairs were required per the conversation upon making the reservation. You can see photos and more info on the online site. The bed was Goldilocks--not to hard; not too soft; just right. En suite small but clean. I could have used a shelf for all my "stuff" but for one night, it wasn't a problem. This room doesn't have a water view so be sure to discuss this when you reserve. There was some road noise but it didn't intrude.

Sorry, this is blurry but one walks into a big room that is nicely decorated. The bath is the lighted room.

To the left in the room is a second bureau, fireplace and closet. Free water. Get ice from the bar downstairs.

There were plenty of outlets to plug in 3 chargers. I didn't bring my power strip this time but you might consider it. The furniture was so pretty.

Things to do in Cecil County will give you some great ideas:
https://www.google.com/destination/m...WNpbCBDb3VudHk

Also google things to do in Kent County Maryland.

Sunday--To come but here's my brunch view:
Old Aug 16th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

More Sunday

Brunch at 10 and I had some time to explore KKH a bit more. The house was actually 2 homes originally. What was the larger faces the Sassafras River and has an L-shaped porch/patio (with an outdoor bar) and an enclosed dining room (looks like it has sliding doors to open it up at one end!). There is also an indoor bar.

Brunch was eggs benedict with crab and spinach. Pickled radishes in the salad were good.

Side patio and outdoor bar

Front porch has same view as I did.

More view from the patio. The tables on the yard are part of KKH.

From the indoor bar, you walk through 2 sitting rooms. You will pass the bigger house's staircase and go up a few stairs into what would have been one house. The office, public bathrooms, stairs to more rooms (including #10) are in this section.

Also, you will find a door to a second restaurant called the Tavern. Smaller and very intimate. I didn't get a shot as it was busy and folks were waiting. You can enter it from the outside from the upper parking lot as well.

Here's a link for the Tavern that was written just before the kitchen opened: https://www.kittyknight.com/tavern-grill

As the small world would have it, my last night dinner partners used to take his boat up the Sassafras River and eat at the Granary. I think it would be so nice to spend the night here in the winter as well as the summer.

Last edited by TDudette; Aug 16th, 2019 at 07:49 AM.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm going to be nearby this week. I may try to check it out. Thanks! It looks lovely.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 11:16 AM

Starrs, The Granary is nice and if you go into Chestertown visit Evergrain Bread Company, lunch or breakfast is very good. I always took my Mom and Dad over here on visits as it is where my Dad grew up. Just a beautiful area.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Did you get there, starrs?

That's a new resto for me, Macross. Will check it out next visit. I went to Chestertown H.S. Care to share the last name?

​​​​​
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 07:05 AM

Thanks for sharing info; I have lived in Kent County for many years. It is a lovely place to visit.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by TDudette
Did you get there, starrs?

​​​​​
I did not. I got pulled at the last minute to go somewhere else. I hope to visit the next time I'm in the general area. We were going to be 30 minutes away. I missed a nice dinner with friends the night before too. I was very disappointed.

Last edited by starrs; Sep 6th, 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Sorry you missed it starrs. bfrac, I've been away for more years than I lived there.
Old Sep 6th, 2019, 02:15 PM

My Grandmother was killed when she was 34 in 1937 coming back from Tolchester beach going over the bridge in Chestertown by the flower shop. There is a Bowers rd close to Crumpton and my Great Grandparents house is still there on the corner with the widows walk on the top. They came from Baltimore but had a farm there,
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm not certain what Tolchester looks like these days, Macross. Ever go to the Crumpton auction? My parents last place was off rte. 544--very near Crumpton. I'm not familiar with Crumpton but the house sounds nice. As a teen-aged waitress, I met the boat from Baltimore in Betterton and drove folks to the Country Cousin Inn, Many stayed for the summer.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 05:14 AM

We use to go crabbing at Betterton. Tolchester is gone. Yes to the auction. I have a lot of relatives buried in the Crumpton graveyard. Do you know Nancy Robson? She has lived in Chestertown for many years and has written some good books about the area. We had lunch last month at the bakery when my brother had surgery at Johns Hopkins. Ir was our meeting point for us all to get together.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 11:23 AM

TDudette, where was the Country Cousin Inn? I lived in Tolchester for many years sharing a driveway with The Inn at Mitchell House.
Old Sep 7th, 2019, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Betterton--further north on the Bay, bfrac. Close to the mouth of the Sassafras. i'm not familiar with Mitchell House.
Old Dec 17th, 2019, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

Just re-reading and see I didn't answer you, Macross. Don't know Ms. Robson but will look for her work.