The Kitty Knight House - A Mini Trip

Aug 14th, 2019, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

The Kitty Knight House - A Mini Trip

If you enjoy scenic drives, water views, and historic places, then Cecil and Kent Counties in Maryland could be for you. And, the Kitty Knight House ("KKH") is just the place to stay.

View from the driveway.

This visit was for my h.s. reunion. It was held in a restaurant that was called the Granary but is now Fish Whistle at the Granary. It is located on the Sassafras River. Google "Georgetown Yacht Basin" for further info. If you are a boater, this is a lovely area. And, FWIW, that far north in the Chesapeake Bay will find few sea nettles.

Also in Georgetown, and across the river from the reunion, is the Kitty Knight House. https://www.kittyknight.com/ Supposedly, Kitty Knight, during the war of 1812, was able to convince the British to spare houses of an elderly neighbors (see the history at the link below). Her home was also spared and became a hotel and inn. The hotel closed for some years and has re-opened by owner Sueann Hall.
Aug 14th, 2019, 12:32 PM

How nice to read this. It is a beautiful area and has been years since I have eaten at the Granary. I am so glad it is still open.
Aug 15th, 2019, 09:16 AM

This looks like a lovely spot. We have never spent much time on the MD Eastern Shore so I am putting it on our list along with the Harriet Tubman National Park
Aug 15th, 2019, 09:24 PM

This looks beautiful! Have to visit this place!
Thanks for the share.
Aug 16th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, All and here's more:

I arrived around 3 on Saturday. The reunion to start at 4 so I had time to check in and unpack a bit. Bad knee alert! There will be stairs. No elevators at this time. There is an upper parking lot that will save your climb however. Look for an "Open" flag when you turn off 313. There is parking at the foot of the stairs but stay to the right and you'll reach the upper lot. It was mobbed on this beautiful August Saturday night.

I was in room 10 as the fewest number of stairs were required per the conversation upon making the reservation. You can see photos and more info on the online site. The bed was Goldilocks--not to hard; not too soft; just right. En suite small but clean. I could have used a shelf for all my "stuff" but for one night, it wasn't a problem. This room doesn't have a water view so be sure to discuss this when you reserve. There was some road noise but it didn't intrude.

Sorry, this is blurry but one walks into a big room that is nicely decorated. The bath is the lighted room.

To the left in the room is a second bureau, fireplace and closet. Free water. Get ice from the bar downstairs.

There were plenty of outlets to plug in 3 chargers. I didn't bring my power strip this time but you might consider it. The furniture was so pretty.

Things to do in Cecil County will give you some great ideas:
https://www.google.com/destination/m...WNpbCBDb3VudHk

Also google things to do in Kent County Maryland.

Sunday--To come but here's my brunch view:
Aug 16th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

More Sunday

Brunch at 10 and I had some time to explore KKH a bit more. The house was actually 2 homes originally. What was the larger faces the Sassafras River and has an L-shaped porch/patio (with an outdoor bar) and an enclosed dining room (looks like it has sliding doors to open it up at one end!). There is also an indoor bar.

Brunch was eggs benedict with crab and spinach. Pickled radishes in the salad were good.

Side patio and outdoor bar

Front porch has same view as I did.

More view from the patio. The tables on the yard are part of KKH.

From the indoor bar, you walk through 2 sitting rooms. You will pass the bigger house's staircase and go up a few stairs into what would have been one house. The office, public bathrooms, stairs to more rooms (including #10) are in this section.

Also, you will find a door to a second restaurant called the Tavern. Smaller and very intimate. I didn't get a shot as it was busy and folks were waiting. You can enter it from the outside from the upper parking lot as well.

Here's a link for the Tavern that was written just before the kitchen opened: https://www.kittyknight.com/tavern-grill

As the small world would have it, my last night dinner partners used to take his boat up the Sassafras River and eat at the Granary. I think it would be so nice to spend the night here in the winter as well as the summer.

Last edited by TDudette; Aug 16th, 2019 at 07:49 AM.