Reload this Page >

the hill country in august

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Pam

We are thinking of taking our 5 yr. old and 1 yr. old to the Hyatt Hill Country for 1 week in August. We have concerns about the weather. Is it bearable? We live in New York City.

Old May 20th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Linda

I think you might get a better response if you tell where Hyatt Hill Country is. (Of course, it may be that I'm just dense and am one of the few people who can't answer this because of my ignorance.)

Old May 21st, 2001, 04:07 AM
Olive Oyl

Pam,

It will be extremely hot and humid, yes, but the resort is beautiful and you and the children will love it.

I was just there last week and the families all appeared to be having a great time, lots of space for the kids to run, but the big draw was the lazy river, a shallow, man-made, and gently running tubing river that circles a section of the property. It was so well done, making it appear natural by planting the native plants that are normally found along the sides of TX rivers...cottonwood trees etc.

The entire resort was built to fit into it's Hill Country surroundings: only 3 stories, standing seam tin roof as might be found on farmhouses, and entire building built in native stone. The back of the hotel features a "rocking porch" which is extremely popular, but no more than a wide porch overlooking the back property with rocking chairs to sit in and enjoy it all. Very laid back.

The lobby is beautiful. I've got a few pictures of that and the hotel property on my hard drive from our trip and would be glad to send them on to you via your email if you'd like...it looks as if you've given an accurate address? There aren't many hotel lobbies where you feel compelled to take pictures, but this was one of them.

I need to add as I always do to anything I write on a Hyatt, that my husband is a Hyatt GM, however, I have no interest in filling other Hyatt rooms--that is not my motivation in writing. I really love this resort.

The temps in August will be in the 90's and San Antonio has pretty high humidity too (though we live in FL, and I felt the air was dry there last week...it's all relative).

It is conveniently close to Fiesta Texas as well as Sea World. It's a drive to Riverwalk.

I have no doubt that you'll love the resort--my only concern for you is the heat. If you'd like the pictures, just let me know.

Old May 21st, 2001, 12:21 PM
A Texan

NO!!!We went last 4th. of July and it was HOT- Head in this direction in the spring or late fall--

Old May 21st, 2001, 12:33 PM
Christie

Yes, Texas is pretty hot in August. The good thing is that just about every place in the state is air conditioned to the max! I've lived here for nearly 30 years and I haven't melted yet. When you do have to be outside, wear light-colored, loose-fitting, cotton clothing and drink plenty of water. Avoid being outside between noon and 3, which is the hottest part of the day.

Be sure to get out of the resort and see some of San Antonio. www.mysanantonio.com and www.traveltex.com give some good info. Your kids might like to visit Schlitterbahn water park, which is just north of San Antonio in New Braunfels.

Have fun, y'all!

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Seamus

Pam-
it will be hot and likely more humid than NYC, but don't let that stop you. The property is very, very well done, fitting into the landscape quite well, and the location affords more pleasant weather than in the city. The feeling is one of resort casual - your kids (and you!) could likely spend most of their time clad in swimsuits, dressing only for dinner in an air conditioned restaurant.