Search

The Farmer's Daughter Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Farmer's Daughter Hotel

Has anyone ever stayed here?
What are some cheap eats in Sunset/SantaMonica areas?
We're there for four nights, any must do's? I'm not into Universal Studio's but love museums and sightseeing on foot
Jen
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Melrose Ave, Olvera Street, the old Farmer's Market, Chinatown, La Brea tar pits are all LA classics.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM

"Top 10 Los Angeles" by Catherine Gerber is a highly recommended pocket guide, she touches on all the must-visit places.
Farmer's Daughter is across from the Farmer's Market where there are plenty of "cheap eats". Basically kiosks offering everything from produce to bakery/pies and lots of take-out ethnic choices that you can then take to the community picnic tables. Be sure to try an apple fritter and coffee from Bob's Donuts, and some homemade ice cream from the next kiosk (I think it's called Bennett's).
Maggiano's Little Italy is in the Grove mall next door, moderate prices and their menu is online. You're a long walk or a short drive from The Beverly Center with typical mall food court stuff and also finer dining including Grand Luxe Cafe (which is an upscaled Cheesecake Factory basically).
The Getty Museum is a must-visit and the garden cafe is good, they also have a more upscale dining room.
The Museum of Jurassic Technology in Venice (near Santa Monica) is a must visit if you're a museum hound. Funky and strange, you'll find yourself scratching your head a lot. The Greystone Mansion in Beverly Hills, The La Brea Tar Pits, The Museum of Natural History and next door the Museum of Science and Technology, The L.A. Zoo....the list goes on and on. You won't be able to fit it all into 4 days....I hope you'll have a car!
There's even the Museum of Radio and Television where you can watch tapes of most any old TV show that you can remember from your youth. Your hotel isn't far from museum row/Miracle Mile area so you can make a whole day of just those two blocks.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We stayed there a couple of months ago. Very pleasant stay, nice people. Check out all the polaroid pix of "Price is Right" winners who've stayed there - it's close to the CBS studios.

Plenty of eating places around, as previously listed. Also try Canter's a couple of blocks north - old time Deli serving giant sandwiches etc. Something of a landmark.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Loteria in the Farmer's Market has excellent authentic Mexican food.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:37 PM

Farmers Market was one of my favorite places in LA. It was one of the first places I went to when arriving there. GO for the crab louie, it is the best. Lots of good food in there. And also some very good places in the Grove. Also some good Jewish Delis nearby bc you are in the heart of Hollywood, Dahling...have a ball. So much to see and do right there.