The Derby..What if it rains?

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Derby..What if it rains?

It looks like there is a good chance it will rain on May 6. We are sitting in millionare row. We will either sit in section 321, 412 or 614. The owner has seats in each section. Is it covered or out in the open? What are the seats like? Benches with no backs, cushioned? And how long will one actually be sitting there since the race is only a few minutes. Are there pre race events? What can I expect and what should I bring to make sure I am not cold and wet? Thanks, Breathe

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

My mistake. Maybe these seats are not in millionare row, so forget I said that. Breathe
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I've been to several Derbys when it rained (and one, in the early 90's, when snow flurries fell).

Your seats may be covered; they may not. Regardless, you can stay under covered sections of the Churchill complex during heavy rain.

Seat types vary -- boxes have chairs, others are traditional stadium seats.

Racing begins around noon and continues beyond the Derby -- it's a full day of races. Yes, the Derby itself is only 2 minutes, but you'll see plenty of turf & track racing throughout the day.

If rain ifs forecast dress in layers and bring a rain poncho. Drink many mint juleps. Easy enough.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 12:02 PM

We are in 318. Was there 2 years ago when it really rained. When it's blowing it can get wet well into the overhang. So, just bring a slicker and enjoy the Mint Juleps! Plenty of interior space, so don't fret.

Will
http://www.alpinemajesty.com
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM

breathe, I've been shopping for tickets. From what I can tell from photos of the place all of those sections are under cover (mostly, if not completely).

It is a day-long event. Gates open at 8AM. First post is 11AM. The Derby will be run around 6PM.