The best BBQ; where can we find it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would this big weekend be without great food? We just love finding new places to eat delicious, mouthwatering, fall off the bone barbecue. Tell me where yours is!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:24 AM

Western NY is not exactly BBQ country. But, we recently drove an hour to eat at Dinosaur Barbeque in Rochester. It was pretty good, definitely the best in the area.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:37 AM

I've dined on fabulous barbecue from Peoria to Kansas City to Memphis to Texas. Here in Southern California, out best bet is to pull out the smoker, our mail-order Gates sauce, and do it ourselves. Happy Fourth, everyone!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:39 AM

You can DEFINITELY find the best BBQ right here in Kansas City. And What a great weekend for it!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:46 AM

my vote is for KC also - and what I wouldnt do for some burned ends - but I am in Oregon and looks like I will have to make my own barbecued brisket - which I must admit is pretty darned good for a substitute.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 07:53 AM

I vote for the Dinosaur Barbeque in Syracuse (same owner as the one in Rochester NY). Syracuse was the first, Rochester the second and I believe there is one in NYC now. I've had lunch and dinner there many many times and have always enjoyed it. Every menu item is deliciouis. Only the cottage cheese (side dish) is not made there as one waitress always reminds me. There is a live blues band every night except Sunday and never a cover charge.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:04 AM

TEXAS is BBQ country!
My personal favorite is Harold's Pit BBQ in Abilene. Get there early because the lunch line often circles the building! The food is amazing, and the owner will often lead the restaurant in a gospel sing-along.
Other people rave about the Salt Lick near Austin, and the Feed Store in Southlake.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:21 AM

I am from Dallas and love most all of the BBQ there when I go back home to visit. I now live in So Cal, and, well, there is no BBQ in So Cal.

Sonny Bryans has one of the best sauces. I like to try a variety of places for sauce, meat, cole slaw and sides. Dickey's is good, as I remember, also.

When I went to Memphis a few years ago, sure liked their BBQ. A friend sent us to Rendesvous and it was very tasty.

Will be going to Nashville this summer, and will give that city a try. If the sauce is flavorful and tangy, not thick and sweet like KC Masterpiece, and the meat is tender and slow cooked, I am pretty happy.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM

Now Heavens, we have BBQ joints here. Johnny Reb's? Lucille's (Memphis-style-- yum!)? Among others.

But our backyard cooking here in southern California is a little more frequent than in most places (we cook in the backyard at least twice a week year-round), and we mix it up between saucin' up the meat with BBQ sauce or simple marinades or rubs. And I also stir-fry veggies on the grill whenever I can (herb marinades!). I'm sure it's the same at your place, Heavens.

This weekend, simple: Grilled hot dogs, grilled white corn on the cob, salads and cool desserts. And lots of booze. LOTS.

Everyone enjoy the Fourth!!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM

Ah, bbq. I prefer eastern NC style which is chopped pig with a vinegar based sauce. Western NC style is sliced pig with a tomato based sauce and SC style used a mustard based sauce. Many places around here have good 'cue.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:28 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Did a trip report a while back that mentioned that Abe's in Clarksdale MS at the Crossroads was the best we've ever had. http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34460759
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM

Heavens, for good brisket in Nashville, I suggest a stop at Judge Roy Bean's. They have a good reputation and the parking lot was always full when I drove by at lunch.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the tip. I will try Judge Roy Beans. Gotta be good.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Cassandra

In NC: Bullock's in Durham, Allen & Son in Chapel Hill and Pittsboro, Barbecue Joint in Chapel Hill. New place named "Que" (don't know spelling, just word-of-mouth at the moment) in Durham is getting good reviews.

But the High Holy BBQ event around here is Hillsborough's Pig/Hog Pickin' Day. The real deal.

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I loved Hecky's in Evanston, IL.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:13 AM

One of my favorites is the Georgia Pig right off I-95 at the Brunswick exit. It's an old ramshackle cabin with a slanted front porch, a brick weighted door to the restroom, and no stove, so they can't do french fries. Just bar-b-q, beans from a pot on the grill, and cole slaw. Is it still there???
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Syracuse NY Dinosaur Bar-B-Q Genuine Honky Tonk Rib Joint. They also have a location in Rochester and Harlem, but Syracuse is the original. Don't know which is better, the food or the atmosphere. Patrons range from hard core bikers to blue hair grandmas goovin to the tunes. Live music and cool condiments (need to read the labels) that are sold and shipped all over.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Uncle Franks in East Palo Alto, CA.
Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:31 AM

I am thinking about traveling to North Carolina just to try the BBQ...