Search

Thanksgiving in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanksgiving in NYC

Will be in NYC Nov. 22-29 and looking for suggestions for how to best spend our time. My husband and I are in our 60's, daughter is 28, son 26. Restaurant recommendations for Thanksgiving dinner? We have all been here before. We'd especially like to take in all the sights of the season. Best place to view the parade?
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
http://beechmantheatre.com/

We LOVED the West Bank Cafe for Thanksgiving dinner. The offered a prix fixe meal that was absolutely wonderful.

Be sure to go up to watch the balloons being blown up the night before the parade.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 04:39 AM

Gosh this is a big broad question. I think you'd be much better parsing it in smaller bites (pun intended). Opentable.com is a restaurant booking website that will have special T'giving menus posted about a month before T'giving. There are also quite a few older threads here on the forum on all the subjects you mention. Budget and type of ambiance would be helpful to direct you better. There's everything from $100+/person meals at places like rivercafe.com or on bateauxnewyork.com for views down to more local options like Dovetail or Good or Bistro Les Amis.

The parade route was slightly altered last year. The west 60's are a good spot. Get there early! People start lining up at 6:30 am. http://www.nyctourist.com/macys_map.htm
Old May 21st, 2010, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for tips on restaurants and parade viewing!
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM

Acgtually for prime spots people start arriving the night before, but really there are some great places to see the parade. I go to Columbus Circle for good views and it's close enough to some cafes and even a Starbucks so that if the weather is REALLY cold you can get something warm to drink and hold in your hand to keep warm, lol.

Some years it's REALLY cold and some years, warm to mildly cold so you never know.

Have a lovely holiday.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:07 AM

I went to my first Thanksgiving parade last year. I think it has limited charm for adults. Fortunately there were many children nearby who screamed whatever the float or balloon was.

But I know a fellow in his seventies who has been going for 60 years and looks forward to it every year.

And instead of overpaying for a Thanksgiving meal, Chinese or Indian would be an inviting alternative.