Thanksgiving in New England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mom, Dad and 2 sons 9 and 11 are considering spending Thanksgiving week in New England. It's older son's last year of elementary school where he gets the whole Thanksgiving week off so we want to take advantage of that time. We live in the South and the boys have not been north of NYC.

We would spend the first part of the trip (weekend before Thanksgiving plus Mon and Tues) in Boston doing the historical stuff. I'd like to spend Thanksgiving and the following weekend somewhere else in New England.

I presume that there probably won't be much, if any, snow at that time so skiing is not an option. We like hiking and the outdoors. The males in the family are not shoppers. Any suggestions for a resort or smaller town that would be a fun place for a family to spend Thanksgiving?

Thank you!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Congratulations on choosing New England for your family visit. But November is the worst time to spend time in New England. It is wet, gray, cold, rainy, windy, bad time for hiking, too early for skiing. Stay in Boston or go another time
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks earlxx. I realize it's not the optimal time to be in New England but I'd rather the kids see a cold, wet, gray New England than to have not been there. Perhaps we'll stay in Boston the whole trip.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Well, November is not nearly as bad as February.

Plimouth Plantation (note spelling) in Plymouth would be an obvious choice for Thanksgiving -- it is south of Boston on the water.

The Cape Cod shore in November is actually pretty cool, IMHO, with a stark windy beauty.

You might enjoy visiting Mystic or Newport. If you want to go north, try Portsmouth or Portland.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM

wow earl so negative!
though new england is cold in november, it is not always wet and dreary! It can be quite cozy actually, especially in front of a fire, with some hot cider!
Anyway, suggestions for a Thanksgiving weekend. Check out Plymouth or Old Sturbridge Village.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Well it could be wet, rainy, gray, dismal, etc or it could be sunny and beautiful. I'll recommend one of my favorites, the Wentworth by the Sea hotel in New Castle NH. It's on the water and right outside of Portsmouth which has lots to do. It's a Marriott property so you may even have points to use. It's an hour from Boston so very convenient to get to.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM

If you like hiking etc, get in touch with the Appalachian Mountain Club http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodges/pnvc/index.cfm very soon, and try to book Thanksgiving weekend at their lodge in Pinkham Notch, NH. Do it soon because it books up early.

You sleep in wooden bunks with the bathrooms (menn's and women's) down the hall (4 beds to a room, so your family should be together), and they serve huge delicious family style meals, which you work off by hiking in the surrounding White Mountains.

You are about 2500 feet up on the side of Mt Washington, so you are much more likely to have snow than elsewhere in New England. Sitting in front of a fire in the library with a nice glass of bourbon (bring your own, no alcohol served)after a day of hiking, watching the snow fall, waiting for dinner is one of life's great pleasures. We were transplanted southerners, and this was our favorite way to spend thanksgiving during the years our children were growing up.

And for mom, the outlets of North Conway are only 20 miles away!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:37 PM

New England is beautiful in fall ! I would suggest heading to VT for some "leaf-peeping" and NH for apple-picking and pumpking picking- When in Boston you HAVE to go to Regina's Pizza or Polcari's in the North End- I grew up in the Boston Area and I love it !

You have to hit Fanueil Hall- (Quincy Marketplace) but the historical stuff will bore the crap out of your kids- if it's cold out take them to Cheers or Jillian's. You can get around B-town easily by taking the T" - they have maps everywhere of all the lines that will take you through the area- The green line will be the one you want to stay on- Avoid the red line - (please).

NH and VT has awesome skiing- The lakes there are very nice too- if you rent a cabin your kids will love it !

Please avoid the TWT. if you can !
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM

You know what could be pretty cool is Thanksgiving on Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard...think about that!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:51 PM

By Thanksgiving, the foliage, pumpkins, and apples are just fond, distant memories. Plimoth Plantation does a good job of presenting the Pilgrims' lives oh-so-accurately.

Cheers is a tourist trap, there's nothing wrong with the Red Line (and you'll have to take it if you want to go t Harvard Square or the Kennedy Library), and many kids enjoy the historical stuff.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Not to be rude but bostongirl's post is a little off. By Thanksgiving there will be no more foliage for leaf-peeping and the apples and pumpkins will be long gone. It's also much too early for skiing. And the red line is fine.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:02 PM

We live in Massachusetts and always look forward to spending Thanksgiving elsewhere!
Boston is a great city to walk around but it would be a shame if the weather didn't cooperate and it snowed or temps dropped too low. (You'll need lots of layers to peel off once you go inside anywhere).
The only advantage to coming at Thanksgiving will be the distinct lack of crowds but be aware that the best tour, the Duck Tour won't be running at that time.
I second the option of Thanksgiving in Sturbridge Village but you'd miss the best of Boston by visiting in late Nov.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM

We went to plimouth last year for thanksgiving and had a great time.
But you must make your dinner reservations now as they fill up quickly .they start taking them in June

melissa
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sturbridge Village is only about an hour from Boston I think? We used to stop at a place called the Publick House. It may serve a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I remember they had pumpkin muffins...yummm... Anyway it has been years. Hopefully someone else has been there since the 1970's!!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Old Sturbridge Village did not have their traditional Thanksgiving dinner feast last year; they cancelled it just a couple of weeks in advance, citing financial difficulties. I don't know whether they plan to revive it this year, but I suspect that Plimoth Plantation is a better bet.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM

Sorry for being "off" on my timetable- I haven't lived there in a while, and I was off by a month- at any rate...if you like lobster- head on up to maine - it will be well worth it !

An by the way- I was mugged twice on the red line- so I don't have any fond memories of it !

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM

I also think that Sturbridge Village would be the perfect place for Thanksgiving. Not only is it historical and educational, but it is a window to how people lived and worked more than two centuries ago. There is a working farm, craftsman, blacksmith, leather works, mill, bakery and more. Local volunteers and staff play the parts of the people in the village.

Also you exchange currency for Sturbridge money, so the kids will see the difference in monetary value. There are a couple of restaurants on site, so you might check to see what is open while you are there.

There are several lovely B&Bs in the area as well as hotels and motels.

There is a website you can google and I'm sure it will give you more info.

I got a receipe from their site for traditional Thanksgiving dinners for Marlborough Pudding, made with applesauce (I use peach appplesauce) and crust. It's sort of a pie with pudding texture, and was part of early Thanksgiving dinners. I serve it now at Thanksgiving too.

After Thanksgiving head to Boston, because all the Christmas lights will be up and all the decorations in the Common and Downtown make Boston look it's best. Also Santa's reindeer are keep in the Common until Christmas eve.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for spending a few days (and Thanksgiving Dinner at Plimouth Plantation, if you can reserve) in Plymouth.

The historical sites are well done, especially the wax museum which depicts with lighting, sound, the history of the crossing (before, during, after). Check out the John Carver Inn in Plymouth. (I think they also serve a nice Thanksgiving dinner.)

You might also want to check out the Franconia Inn in New Hampshire. We spent a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend there several years ago.

Idyllic, but expensive, is Nestlenook Farm in New Hampshire. http://www.nestlenookfarm.com/NestlenookFarm/index.html

Plan to dress so as to be comfortable while out and about in the cold.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM

my vote goes to the franconia inn, where you can enjoy a huge fireplace to take the chill off. franconia is beautiful, with memorable hikes on portions of the appalacian trail, particularly the hike to lonesome lake where there is a year-round amc hut that serves great cold weather meals and is powered completely off the grid. two other memorable hikes, both by the same name, but in different spots in franconia, are the nob hill hikes. the longer one has waterfalls and little creeks running across the trail, both have spectacular views from the top. garnet hill has an outlet store in franconia, but it is not "north conway" outlet shopping. the drive up will have wonderful views once you're far enough north.

and, you can buy apples that have just been picked. it's one of the only times of year anyone can get macouns, and they are divine. another popular fall treat is pressed cider and sugar-coated homemade cider donuts. even though there will be no skiing, while in franconia you can take the cannon mountain ski resort tram up and back. that would be fun for everyone. it's a short hike to the tram base station, and a breathtaking view from the top.
if you must have retail therapy, there's always north conway on your way back, if you can stomach the traffic.
i think it sounds like fun. i love thanksgiving in new england. i vote for eating with the pilgrims at plimouth plantation. we did that several years ago with our kids and everyone enjoyed themselves.
also, agree with bostongirl that fanueil hall/quincy market shopping/strolling in boston is a fun outing even for non-shoppers due to the food markets and the gadget stores like brookstone and national geographic.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hello padams,
You'll find so much to do and with better rates in NE at that time of the year. We have our last seasonal hurrah down at Cape Cod at our Truro cottage with our nieces and nephews and they thoroughly enjoy each year.
We've even walked the beach (a few times) in t-shirts at that time of year - one never knows in NE. If you go to Provincetown you can climb the Pilgrim Monument Musuem. This is where the pilgrims first landed. There's lots of shops, resturants, hiking trails and much more here. Lots of history, as well.

You could then drive down the cape and check out the many towns (Wellfleet, Chatham, Eastham and national seashore beaches down to Hyannis where you'll find many hotels with indoor pools for the kids.

From there you could make a stop at the Plimoth plantation if you think the kids would like that.

As someone else mentioned, you could check out Faniel Hall, the science musuem, the aquarium, battleships, Chinatown etc. in Boston.

You could head up the coast to the countless towns of Salem (famous for witch musuems), Newberyport (sp.)Glouster, Portsmouth NH, Ogunquit ME. Kittery or Freeport (LLBean and other outlets)

Or: head over to the mountains in NH or Vermont.

Let us know if any of this interests you and will further assist.
Happy planning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -