Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving dinner cancelled at Sturbridge Village!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read in the Boston Globe this am that they cancelled the Thanksgiving dinner at Sturbridge Village this year - and had over 1,000 reservations on the books from travelers. There were a lot of people posting here interested in eating there this year, or actually planning on eating there - so I am hoping they have notified everyone - and thought I'd post just in case some of you who had reservations have already left home (where they might be leaving the message) and perhaps would check online as some fodorites do while traveling - finding alternative dining rezzies will be a challenge, but if anyone has problems I'm sure everyone here will help with suggestions. What an embarassment - they should have at least held the dinner and then done their cutbacks.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:32 AM

had some great dinners there as a kid -- mmm, indian pudding and macaroni and cheese!
What a shame.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:12 AM

Just heard about it myself on the radio and like you, come here to post in case others didn't know yet. Thought I'd check to see if anyone beat me to the punch.

A LOT of these "living museums" such as OSV, Mystic Seaport, Plimoth Plantation, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. are having finanacial difficulties as many people cut back on traveling or go to "thrill parks" and other "more exciting" venues.

If you had a reservation at OSV, I hope you'll visit anyway and find someplace else for dinner.

It does seem a dirty deal to make the decision so close to the event.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Rb_traveler: "It does seem a dirty deal to make the decision so close to the event." - My sentiments exactly - a place that is trying to up their visitors and facing budget cuts, making a decision like this so close to the holiday and leaving people in the lurch - doesn't leave people with a good taste in their mouth for visiting OSV or this area, or tourism - - the people were paying for their meals, so I think it is a shame those in charge did not make their cuts for after this holiday - not good PR that's for sure.

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 09:59 AM

Wow, that's too close to the "due date" to cancel an event! Why, is it a financial cut? Don't they understand cancelling it now will make the attendance even lower?

I remember the village and the cafeteria there - nice places to spend any holiday.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM

I went to their website and their post is "short and sweet" on the link that informs us they are open Thanksgiving Day (and weekend):

"The Village is not offering Thanksgiving dinner this year. A modest holiday menu will be available in the Bullard Tavern cafeteria. A lisiting of area restaurants is at www.sturbridge.org."

But they are still plugging the "New England Thanksgiving" special on Food Channel(?) I signed their guestbook asking them to consider posting a page of nearby restaurants OPEN on Thanksgiving Day, rather than the generic listing in the current link.

escargot: I agree, people were paying, and not an insignificant amount either. What a shame for all.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Rb_traveler: good for you for suggesting to them how to do their job properly !! Aside from planning their new financial budget, they should consider a massive conference with whoever is their PR/marketing person - b/c the plan seems to be lacking in the communication area.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 08:27 PM

We realised that my in-laws would be visiting over Thanksgiving and I researched OSV (we've been there before) and Plimoth Plantation (never visited, although we've visited Plymouth itself.

I decided to book Plimoth when I went to book OSV and the website stated no meals would be served at the Oliver Wright Tavern, even though a couple of days before they were taking reservations.

Now I thank my lucky stars I did! There was an article in the Boston Globe today saying that not only have they cancelled Thanksgiving Dinner but also weddings that had been booked for next year.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...ca_retrenches/

It sounds to have been badly handled and can only create bad feelings at a time when they are trying to attract visitors.