Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving Day Parade

Search

Thanksgiving Day Parade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Karen

Thanksgiving Day Parade

I will not be afraid. I am going ahead with year long plans to take the kids to see the Lion King on 11/22 and my lifelong dream of seeing the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in person. Question is I made reservations at the Marriot Marquis a year ago at a price of $365/night, it's come down since, but still pricy, what other hotels are in the area of the Marquis? I'm single with 3 kids, a suite hotel would be great! Those that were booked a year ago now are seeing alot of cancellations. Also, any comments or suggestions that would make seeing the parade easier/better for us would be greatly appreciated. I don't want the kids coming home and saying that it's better on TV!!.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 04:46 PM
ogre

Sorry, your kids will come home and say the parade is better on tv. This whole parade, anymore, is designed stricly for tv. You won't see 1/2 of it if you are there. It is like half time at the Super Bowl.

Everything is made for tv.

Try going for other reasons.

Ogre

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 05:35 PM
rqf

The Marriott is on the parade route. Other hotels on the parade route are the Mayflower, Crown Plaza, Doubletree,
Ameritania, Novatel and Woodward. Less than half a block from the parade route are the Broadway Milleniuim and the Edison. The Southgate Tower. a suite hotel, is on 7th Avenue, two blocks south of Macy's. A hotel with a good reputation that is a less than 10 minute walk from the parade route is the Beacon located on the upper west side. The Excelsior hotel is on W.81st. If you stayed there and had a room facing 81st you could watch them blow up the balloons the night before the parade.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Theresa

GO, GO, GO! We have been to NYC for the past four Thanksgiving celebrations and absolutely loved it. Don't believe a word in the above post regarding the parade. Even my 75 year old grandmother felt like a kid again while viewing the parade. We checked the folding camping chairs on our flight and took them to the parade. The place we viewed from was outstanding; around 63rd and Central Park West. This location is about 15 blocks or so from the starting point and you have a great straight view right up the parade route. We took a taxi to our spot about 6:30-7:00 am and it was simple to secure a spot right up against the barracade. It was a blast meeting the folks who also came out early. Some folks come to the same spot year after year. The police were wonderful. Be sure to bring a thermos with hot cocoa and a few bagels or danish to hold you over. Believe me, once the parade starts it's just like magic!
Also, we stayed a Hotel Delmonico at 7th and 49th in March. We really loved the hotel and have stayed at many in the city. I just checked and they have a $195 per night rate for Thanksgiving. It's in a very central location and it's a very elegant hotel.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:51 PM
GOL

Suggestions.

Buy a NY Times the Wednesday before. Macy's places an ad with the parade line-up. Bring this with you to the parade. Make certain you do this!

Make sure you go to 79st and Central Park West area (i.e., Museum of Nat. History) to watch the balloons being inflated. They do that the night before (Wednesday). Really a good time.

As far as seeing the parade.....Get to the street early - by 7am. Have all the bathroom stops done in advance (not always easy). If that is not possible, park your body near a deli or hotel where you can make the pit stops. Don't leave or you will lose your 'place' - Bring a step ladder or step stool, if possible.

Usually the kids can move up to the front when the parade starts. Families are usually watching, and know the drill.

The people that watch the parade have always been extremely friendly. I've never heard cross words or mean spirits. I expect this year to be very patriotic and spirits to be at their midwestern best.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 08:35 AM
lisa

The Doubletree in Times Square is a suite hotel and very nice. I think it's at 48th & Broadway (right across from the TKTS discount ticket booth!).

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Philip

On the day of the parade, go up to Central Park West to view it. It takes so long to get down to midtown, plus you will be seeing the parade in its entirety (before any of the floats break down or balloons try to fly away). If you are around the night before Thanksgiving, definitely go to Central Park and watch them blow the balloons up. It's a lot of fun, but on the crowded side.