Teton, Yellowstone and the Columbia River

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and i are planning a three and a half week drive this coming October that will start in Salt Lake City and wind up in Portland, Oregon. I am in the process of planning it out now. So three questions:
1. What is the best place to stay in Grand Teton NP?
2. What is the best place to stay as a base for exploring Yellowstone NP?
3. Is there a really good, scenic drive west along the Columbia River? Where should we start it? And where should we stay along the river?
Expense is really not an inhibitor.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:12 AM

For driving along the Columbia River - I like starting as far east as you can - but certainly take in the town of Hood River and maybe see the many wind surfers on the river.

There are also some wineries in the area - which have good B & B accommodations.

Also recommend you drive an hour or so to get to Timberline Lodge on the south side of Mt. Hood - where I would spend at least one night. Great hiking there too.

From Hood River west - take the frontage road exit when you see the turnoff for the 7 waterfalls - maybe half an hour or so from Hood river.

The tallest/highest waterfall is Multnomah Falls - which also has a restaurant/coffee shop with a glass ceiling so you can look up at the falls.

It's a beautiful drive.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:40 AM

I hope you plan on starting Oct 1 and you would need to do Tetons and Yellowstone first. Mid-October, the road in Yellowstone begin to close. Beartooth Hwy closes Oct. 14--I would include that on your road trip too. The lodges in Yellowstone begin closing, even in September.

Is there any way you could start the trip in September? Fall Foliage and Elk Rut would be better then.

I would pick 2 or 3 places to stay in Yellowstone(it's that big) I like Roosevelt Cabins, Lake Hotel, and Old Faithful Inn. Mammoth would be ok place to stay too, but it's my least favorite area of the park.
In Tetons, go with Jackson Lake Lodge, Signal Mountain, or Colter Village. Jenny Lake would be nice, but is pretty expensive.
Keep in mind all National Park lodging is pretty basic/rustic. A lot of people don't like. Personally, we love it and have stayed in just about every lodge in all the national parks. Its all about the history and location. Wall are paper thin, you will often find a mouse, squirrel, or something in your room, some don't have private bath, etc. I find the food to be pretty good.

Timberline Lodge is another cool historic lodge that Tom mentions above. I too would suggest a day/night there.

You want to be on the historic hwy when you get a few miles past The Dalles.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in the Old Faithful area, Canyon and Signal Mtn in Grand Tetons. Excellent locations.

This July I'm taking my daughter and granddaughter and we're staying in the same areas.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

These are good suggestions - I thank all three of you and am hopeful of more responses. Tomsd, I am already checking the map to work through your itinerary for the Columbia River. And spirobulldog - would that I could start earlier. I have a board meeting in Park City October 1-2. We'll leave right after that so I should make YS and GT before the middle of the month. Will check this week on hotel availability and road closings.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Try going west out of Lewiston Idaho on US 12 and Rt. 124 in Washington to Pasco. Pasco is where the Snake River joins the Columbia. Take I-82 to I-84.
Stay in Hood River Oregon.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Jessica,

I live in Park City, and if you are coming for a board mtg, then I assume you know the aspens will be at their peak - golden and glorious!

I would suggest, if you follow tom's suggested route over to the Columbia River, that you take a look at the Inn on Blackberry Creek in Walla Walla, WA. This place is so lovely! I visited last Aug. for the first time and am returning in July. Book far ahead. They only have 4 rooms and are extremely popular. The gardens are as beautiful as they look in the pictures. Great wine tasting in Walla Walla.

Since you are going to the Tetons and Yellowstone late in the year, go prepared with layers, including warm hat and gloves. Weather can literally be anything from sun to snow.

Have fun!