Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Teton and Yellowstone what to pack & what not to forget!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH & I will be flying into Cody mid august & p/u a rental SUV and driving RT thru Yellowstone to Teton, staying in a hotel in Teton, then for last night wil stay 1 night at Jackson Lake Lodge (we are still trying to get 1 more night on the way back to Cody in Yellowstone but so far no luck).

We will only have a SUV and no camping gear. We can stop at Wal MArt in Cody for some supplies.

What did you pack that was helpful and what did you forget that you would recommend? And if you have any recent dining recommenations and road conditions,since we will be driving thru Yellowstone twicw (we could not get a one-way SUV rental).
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Useful stuff: Binoculars, plenty water, sun cream, camera, shoes/sneakers that you can walk in, hats, back pack, snack foods, museli bars, trail mix etc. Dress in layers. We were there late August last year, and did need a fleece and jacket one day because although it was nice and sunny, there was a chilly wind. Can't remember if we forgot anything. If we did, it didn't matter. Enjoy, it's a wonderful place.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We were there a month ago.
Ditto binoculars and good camera (I bought a new one the night before I left and was so glad I did).
Ditto fleece sweatshirt or jacket. I'm missing those cool nights AND days.
Ditto layers. We didn't pack long pants until the last minute. We wore them all the time because it was too cold for crops and shorts.

I forgot -
my flexible insultated tote cooler. Would have been nice to keep drinks and snacks cool.

We ate at the Pioneer Grill at Jackson Lake Lodge and the food was great. The apple pie was the best we'd ever had! (Took it back ot he room for later).

We ate breakfast in the Mural Room and I loved the buffet, especially the elk motif pancakes.

Dinner at Old Faithful Inn was FABULOUS. My Chicken Oscar was the best meal (at the table of four).

Eat at Dornan's in Jackson. The pizza/pasta place was great. We grabbed deli sandwiches from the deli in the store one day. We wanted to eat the chuckwagon pancake breakfast, but we went to church first in the little chapel and missed breakfast.

Loved the litle market in Jackson. More details in my trip report.

I took my laptop so I could check on work stuff on the trip (when internet was available). We packed some DVDs so we could watch movies in rooms without TV. We were so tired we fell asleep during the same movie 4x - but were glad to have it.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Txs Joto and starrs.
Will look at a flexible cooler...
Does anyone know if there was verizon cellphone coverage?
How about mosquitos? Bug repellent?
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 01:01 AM

Verizon had coverage when the other services didn't. Only in the "villages" of Yellowstone. Everytime we looked at it in Grand Teton, Jackson and Cody. We didn't use the phone a lot but we had coverage most of the time until Yellowstone.

I took OFF towelettes but we lucked up and never used them.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 04:07 AM

We did not have good cell phone coverage anywhere in the park - although I think around Old Faithful there is a cell tower with better reception.
One of my favorite things was taking the free tour of Old Faithful Inn. I found the history and anecdotes very interesting and still something I think of when I remember our trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:06 AM

Lots of good packing tips above.

Verizon works at Canyon, but not Lake, so it's spotty. It does work at Pelican Creek as you approach Fishing Bridge from Cody.

Lunch without reservation, or dinner with, at the Lake Hotel, and snag a table near a window.

Will you be going all the way into Jackson Hole? If I read you correctly, you only have a few days. Jackson's very nice, and so is Dornan's, but not worth going that far south IMO unless you had lots of days in the area.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:34 AM

Definitely will second bug spray and sunscreen. If you're lucky, you may miss mosquito season there -- but if not, you'll really wish you had brought some of the former.

A hat and sunglasses are also wise.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM

What everyone else said, plus camera batteries!

Lee Ann
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM

And look for the Pickles' owls!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Where were those Owls again? ;-)
Tx everyone: I appreciate the help.
We are limited to 1 rollerbag a piece and want to make sure we pack well.
Know "supplies" are limited in the Yellowstone park too, so would like to make just 1 stop at Cody Walmart and then have fun.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:17 PM

Do not count on cell phone coverage in Yellowstone. We always pack waterproof jackets/pants for hiking.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Do not count on cell coverage in either park.
Verizon has the best coverage in both parks.

See the Pickles' trip report or mine for owl sightings -
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...e-crazies-.cfm

(Gros Ventre campground in GTNP)
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Starrs! And everyone. Am really looking forward to a few relaxing days and then off to take my Dad to teh MD and clean the house!...
Old Aug 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM

For sure - Verizon works at Old Faithful, Mammoth and the parking lot at Artist's Point. I'm in the Park several times a year and have never had a problem with Verizon service at any of these three places. In fact, I used it at all three of these places just yesterday
Have fun!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I was just in YNP & GT last week.

My telephoto lens is a 55-250. I couldn't justify buying a 400+ for one trip.

Several times I was way underpowered for a black bear and some prong horn at the top of Mt Washburn who were on the next mountain.

If distant wildlife viewing is important get a long lens.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM

At Jackson Lake Lodge, if you haven't already, try to get a room at the back - the view of the mountains is stunning. And you can see sunrise on the Tetons from your bed.

These are all great suggestions! Especially: comfortable shoes as you will do a lot of walking, layers as days or nights can be cool, and camera and batteries as you will see beautiful view and wildlife everywhere! Have a great trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I will do research on these things,,, however we're wondering about Jackson, Tetons, and Yellowstone at end of Sept or into October. I guess it depends on the first snowfall???,,,,
but are the roads open through the parks late into Oct.
Have you visited at that time and what were your experiences.?Thanks,
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:07 PM

Mari5, road closing dates are posted at http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Lee Ann
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Hello all, we are back. It was a better trip by all the suggestions. Thank you.
We had no trouble w/Verizon anywhere except a very few places as driving up from JAckson to YNP.
We were there when they were looking for the Arizonia convicts that escaped..everywhere we went everyone reminded us to be on the lookout for the convicts as they thought might be in the park.
Never saw the Pickles Owls: but did see, bears, deer, moose, bison. All on or very near the road. At Jackson Lake Lodge, my favorite by far, there was a sighting of wolves but it was too far for our binoculars and so unless you do carry a very long range scope you would never see them.
I would pack a light rain poncho: it rained alot. And lots of hand wash towels: people were sick everywhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -