tent campingin Glacier Nat'l Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some advice please...We are looking for a campground in the Glacier area and prefer to car camping (?)--we don't want to hike into a campground. Does anyone have any recommendations, places you've stayed and enjoyed? Thanks in advance for your comments!

MH
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 02:31 PM

The only time we went there we ended up at this place...

http://home.nps.gov/applications/gla...Many%20Glacier

First come first served and we thought it was just beautiful. I can't wait to go back.
If you get the chance make the trip up into Canada to see the other Glacier park too.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM

We car camp, so any photos of campsites in this set represents sites with a nearby a car:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...ith/4235940274

Bowman Lake is off the beaten track but has a nice campground, Avalanche Creek campground is on the western side of the Continental divide on the main road through Glacier, and there is one on the eastern side of the divide where we stayed.
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 05:05 PM

Hi - I ventured on this site looking for camping places in Utah this coming week -- who knew half of the Western U.S. would be there also. We just want to thaw out from winter a little but there are only a handful of campsites to reserve in the entire southern part of the state.

Anyway, I noticed your post and we live just 15 mins from GNP. I guess it partly depends what you're looking for but here's my two cents: Fish Creek campground is large and you can reserve in advance. It is close to the west entrance so you can access the shuttle, resupply, etc. It has great access to Lake McDonald. One of our favorite swim spots during the summer is the Fish Creek day use area -- the water is...refreshing. There is also a little spot adjacent to loop C and a short hike takes you to rocky point where there's more swimming and jumping off rocks. Our favorite campsites are along the creek/lakeside on loop D and around the lake side on loop A. There is a newly built shower unit (pay I believe) in loop A.

The Apgar campground is also actually very nice. I think it is first come first serve. Many of the sites are spacious and have good shade, but the trees are not tightly packed so that it doesn't get sun and warm up. Of course it's handy to be in the loop closest to the lake. I have driven through the Sprague creek campsite and if you are lucky enough to get a lake side spot there are some very nice ones, however, some of the other sites are VERY close to the road. The Kintla and Bowman campgrounds mentioned above are also very nice, but they're about 30 miles on a dirt road so you'll have to be prepared with supplies, etc.

You'll also want to check out the east side of the park because it has such a different feel than the west side. Our favorite is St. Mary's -- stunning scenery -- I'm not as familiar with the sites there though. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Mar 28th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Our favorite campground is Rising Sun. We've stayed there several times. We like the east side of Glacier better. It's just down the road from St Mary's but a lot of St Mary's is out in the open and it can get pretty hot in the summer without shade. It's the only campground in the park with showers--you buy tokens in the store (be sure to get them before they close). The shower is around back. They also have a store and small restaurant with the nearby motel.

You can't make reservations but Glacier does the best job I know of any national park giving you information on what time of day the different campgrounds filled up so you know what time you need to be there by.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/gla...s/cgstatus.cfm

Be sure to go up to the Many Glacier area--great hiking trails and a neat lodge. We also enjoy going across the border into Waterton. You will need a passport.