Tennessee and Arkansas drive

Jun 18th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Tennessee and Arkansas drive

This Saturday and Sunday we'll be driving through Tennessee and Arkansas on Routes I40 and I30. We don't have too much time, but would be interested in any spots that would be interesting or nice short breaks. Any "should sees" that aren't too far off the route?
Jun 18th, 2003, 07:03 PM

We drive that route 3-4 times a year and, besides Memphis, I can't think of a thing I would tell you to take time to see.

We go north at Nashville so I don't know about Tennessee east of there.

Some of the cheapest gas we found was at Williams Truck Stops. They are pretty nice--for truck stops.

Be prepared to drive fast with the 18 wheelers.
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Looks like it's a good thing we borrowed a lot of books on CD from the library.
Anyone else?
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:49 AM
LN

Hi
We just returned from a trip - east coast to Tulsa OK using I40. Had a great time.

We stopped in Nashville - Opryland, Grand Ole Opry, Country Western Hall of Fame

Stopped in Memphis - did the tour of Graceland - and yes, we enjoyed it. Then we went to Beale street to hear some blues music and find some Memphis dry barbeque.

Went on through to Little Rock - we found eastern Arkansas to be quite flat and not too picturesque -

Yes the 18 wheelers were always there but they didn't run us off the road. There was some road construction in Arkansas in I40.
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:02 AM

In Tennessee, there is the Shiloh battlefield, if you're interested in Civil War history.

In Arkansas, south of Little Rock is the Washington State park. They have a good restaurant, and some nice restored homes if you're into that sort of thing.

If you like antiques, Arkansas is full of great antique shops, especially just south of Little Rock.
Jun 19th, 2003, 06:26 AM

Starting at the east side of TN...

1-This is actually the one not to miss -- Get off at Crossville and go down to Fall Creek Falls State Park....Fall Creek is the highest waterfall east of the Mississippi. (Before you think Niagra, highest, not biggest) There are also several other waterfalls there. It's about 30-45 minutes off the Interstate, but WELL worth it.

2-Nashville - You could spend the whole two days here. Lots of things to do including thew new country music hall of fame, the Opry area off Briley Parkway, great downtown area.

3 - Civil War stuff - Two places in west TN.....SHiloh National Battlefield and Forrest Bedford State Park...the 1st being the better stop

4 - Natchez Trace - Actually another road and would take you on a detour. You could get on the Trace just west of Nashville and follow it to Northern Alabama and then tack over and get back on 40 at Memphis. The wife and I did the entire Trace from Nashville to Natchez, MS back in 99...great relaxing drive, very histoical and beautiful.

5 - Jackson - I've never done it myself b/c it looked so Touristy, but there's alot of Casey Jones/Railroad stuff that's advertised as you get to the town.

6- This is if you're really bored--between Nashville and Jackson...I-40 is no man's land......Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch near Linden. Beatutiful area with lots of "old-timey" stuff. Loretta actually lives here if you're a fan....Also near here and if you fish, Bucksnort trout is considered some of the best in tje world.

7-Memphis - I LOVE this city. Do not go through here wothout stopping. Most everything you'll want in a quickie stop is downtown on Beale

8-Little Rock is an OK town....might be good to stomp around.

9-Hot Springs, AR - I've been here several times...great place for relaxing and make sure you "take the baths"

These are two weeks of suggestions, not two days, but hope you make time for some of them

Search this Thread