Reload this Page >

Telluride or Ouray-please help me choose location and accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:32 AM
sue

we will be spending about 5 days in southwest colorado in August. We will go to mesa verde and then make our way into colorado. We will visit durango, telluride and ouray and silverton.

We are trying to decide which town to stay in. Can you recommend specific hotels or condos? We prefer smaller, newer, clean places with a pool. Were not that attracted to historical hotels. Any advice?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:12 AM
J T Kirk

I like the Ice House in Telluride. They're condos, but some units are rented on nightly/weekly basis. Very nice place, about two blocks off main drag in downtown Telluride.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:17 AM
sport

Telluride has a lot of off season lodgings at low prices.Rent a jeep and drive over to Ouray. Its only few miles that way and a long drive if you take the numbered roads.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:25 AM
travellyn

In Durango, the Doubletree is a relatively new hotel with an indoor pool, and close to main activities. It isn't a big highrise like Doubletrees in other cities. It is right next to the Animas River. Durango makes a good base for Mesa Verde if you aren't going to stay in the park itself.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:52 AM
connie

Usually, Ouray is less expensive than Telluride since it became another Aspen.

I assume you are taking the Durango/Silverton train. I suggest you go one way by train and the other by bus. Round trip makes for a very long day and besides you will get to see different scenery.

Be sure to go on up to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. It isn't that far.

Doing the Jeep trails (old mining trails) out of Ouray is a MUST.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:15 AM
lenleigh

If you stay in Durango there are a few I would recommend since I used to live there. I worked at the Sheraton which is nice but probably the most expensive in Durango. It is half way in between Purgatory and Durango. When I left they were in the proccess of renovating all their rooms in the lodge and it was going to be very nice. I also worked at General Palmer Hotel which is right next to the train station. It is clean but very old and victorian and no pool. The doubletree is close by and i think they have a pool and the sheraton has a pool and golf course.